[Amel Yacht Owners] mail and package forwarding while cruising

Mark Erdos

Ryan and Kelly

Most American cruisers use SBI. They have a very good reputation. https://www.sbimailservice.com/

We have managed to get our mail to just about 2 or 3 pieces per month as almost every company with who we do business is set up to be paperless.

As far as forwarding packages, companies such as eZone are available on most Caribbean islands.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:30 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] mail and package forwarding while cruising

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you have a favorite mail/package forwarding solution while you're cruising.  I'd want it to have a USA address and be able to send to anywhere in the Caribbean (and perhaps farther).  I've found a number of services that offer this, including the ability to open and scan your mail to view online, but I'd like some testimonials before I entrust a random company with something so important.

Thanks!

Ryan and Kelly

SM 233 Iteration

Boston, MA, USA

Ralph Caruso

I used SBI for 7 years, while we lived in France.  They give you a US address in Florida, and are very good at handling mail and even packages.  They sort out the junk, and make sure you get the stuff that you need.

Since they are in Florida, you can get a Florida drivers license and domicile, which can be important for tax and other financial purposes.  The local officials also seem to understand what is going on, and do not summon you to sit on juries when you are 4000 miles away...

Ryan Meador

So it sounds like SBI is the way to go.  Their website doesn't have much to say about how they handle packages.  Is it reasonably priced to have them ship larger things?  They say they always ship via USPS, so it that a reliable service in most places?  I've heard FedEx is the only way to get things in a timely manner on many smaller islands.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM rxc@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I used SBI for 7 years, while we lived in France.  They give you a US address in Florida, and are very good at handling mail and even packages.  They sort out the junk, and make sure you get the stuff that you need.

Since they are in Florida, you can get a Florida drivers license and domicile, which can be important for tax and other financial purposes.  The local officials also seem to understand what is going on, and do not summon you to sit on juries when you are 4000 miles away...

greatketch@...

Ryan,

SBI charges actual shipping costs, so no large premium above what the shipment costs. Their handling is included as part of your regular monthly fee.

The shipping methods vary depending on the destination country. For outbound USA domestic shipments, USPS and UPS are normally used. For international shipments, DHL and FedEx are available--among others.

They usually know based on past experience the best choice.  Although if you are "out island" it is always a good idea to check to see what the local businesses use. Sometimes the only good option is a local freight forwarder.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote :

So it sounds like SBI is the way to go.  Their website doesn't have much to say about how they handle packages.  Is it reasonably priced to have them ship larger things?  They say they always ship via USPS, so it that a reliable service in most places?  I've heard FedEx is the only way to get things in a timely manner on many smaller islands.

Thanks,

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:04 AM rxc@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote: