Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Deck running lights

John Clark

Hi Paul,
   congrats on the new boat.  My older SM #37 had rail mounted lights but they failed at some point before I bought the boat.  A previous owner switched to using a trcolor mast head light in place of the deck level lighting.  If you don't have the wiring already run for deck lights the tricolor may be the quickest way to get into compliance.  A note, I think Joel Potter said that at one point  the deck lights were an "option" but all boats were wired for them.  Check around in the forward lockers and see if you can find wires going toward the forward tooe rail.

                Regards,  John

SV Annie SM #37
Prickly Bay

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 8:05 AM paul.cooper74@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello all.  My new to me SM2K hull # 238 was built for a French customer (named Henri Amel incidentally) and was built with no deck-level running lights.  Apparently they are /were not required in France at that time and no subsequent owners felt they needed to uprade to be in compliance with COLREGS.

Obviously I need them since international COLREGs require them when steaming.  And common sense says they are necessary when steaming, especially in close quarters.

I do not know how to search this forum for old posts so I apologize if I am rehashing an old thread, but I would love to hear if any others have had this problem and how they dealt with it.   Specifically, the problem is getting wire into the bow pulpit when it wasn't constructed with wire access.  There is no hole between the sail locker and the inside of the angled bow pulpit stanchion.    Also, the best location and mounting hardware for the bow lights and any problems with aftermarket installations.  The stern light should not be difficult-- I am thinking of putting the stern light on the solar arch rather than the stern railing.

I will be in Martinique in a few weeks.  Do you know if the yard there has specifically dealt with this retrofit on a SM?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul Cooper

SM2K #238 "Maracuya"

Grenada

paul.cooper74@...

Thank you, John.  We have a nice LED masthead tricolor but that does not put us in compliance with COLREGs for steaming.  I have done a little research.   FWIW,  the international rules actually state that deck level lights should be standard and the masthead nav lights optional, but some boatmakers, including Jeanneau, are still selling boats the opposite way--masthead standard and deck lights "optional".  Hard to believe.

Anyway, I checked in the forward lockers and there are neither wires nor an entrance for wires into the bow stanchion.

I don't think it will be too difficult to drill a hole but it will require going through the deck and then through the SS base of the stanchion.  Then of course wires will need to be brought back to the breaker panel.

So I am still interested to know if anyone has drilled such a hole and if they encountered any difficulties.

Paul C.
Maracuya, SM #238
Grenada

eric freedman

Hi,

In the USA you can only use the tricolor while sailing. It is not used while motoring or motor sailing.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Paul Cooper <paul.cooper74@...>

Thank you, Bill Kinney, for that information.  It is very helpful.  i will give a follow up once I have completed the installation.

Paul C.
Maracuya,