Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

There can be several causes.

Nikimat gave you a very complete answer, but to find the exact cause, you will need to disassemble the bow thruster.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 4:03 AM kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello fellow Amel owners,

I just moored my boat in the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong and how to repair is very much welcome.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Willem Kroes

Thanks Bill, I will go to the boatyard next Wednesday for a already planned haul out. The broblem must be on the foot or on the top gears.

Best regards,

Willem

SM # 351 KAVANGA

Op 5 okt. 2018 15:43 schreef "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" :

[...]

Hi Bill,

I bought the lower unit kit from Amel. Besides the end cap did not fit in (holes for the screws were at different distances) the unit is installed again. But I have some feeling of uncertainty.  I can move the prop of the bow thruster by hand when it is lowered with power off. Is this normal? I am still on the hard but the yards planning is to put me into the water tomorrow. I don't want to be forced to go out of the water immediately again because the bow thruster is not working correctly.

Please  advise.

Kind regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

 Ascar Boatyard, Cartagena, Spain

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello Willem !
On Cottonbay I had this problem it was the engine shaft that was broken!
I had deposited on the xebsite photos of the rupture of the shaft, it is due to fatigue ....
the treshafte is poorly sized or of poor quality ....
The whole of this bow thruster is not the best from AMEL!
JLuc
CottonBay