Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Anchor Roller Removal...

Bill,

I seem to remember that the axel was welded on 387.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018, 09:07 greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mark,

Thanks, If only it was that simple... Our pulpit is a lot simpler in construction, and I have a good view of both sides of the axle, but both have flared heads.  There is obviously a magic trick I am missing!

I would be fine changing it out for a bolt if that makes sense, but surely there has to be a better way to disassemble than cutting it apart...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

greatketch@...

Thanks Bill,

That is sure what it look like... makes me wonder how they got it together in the first place!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Dan Carlson

Hi Bill, it looks like it is welded.  I had to replace a broken pin on mine.  I found a clever welder and he ground out the welded edge very quickly with minimal loss of metal to remove thenold pin.  He then fashioned two ss 'washers' about 2 inches in diamete with the required 1/2 inch center hole for the pin (can't remember the exact deminsions) and welded these onto the 'ears' for reinforcement.  He then fashioned  a new pin with a flange on one end and a cotterpin through a hole on the other.  I think it better than it was new.  The original pin broke.

Dan Carlson, on sv BeBe, sm 387

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 6:31 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

Thanks Bill,

That is sure what it look like... makes me wonder how they got it together in the first place!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

greatketch@...

Having just disassembled all of the various stainless bits from the bow of Harmonie for resealing, polishing, and inspection I can confirm that the axles for the anchor rollers are welded to the side plates. They pass through holes in the plates, and are then welded around the edges.

A bolt would have been so very much easier...  Except for that detail, it is a nice, simple, robust design.  Other than needing rebedding, polishing, and a few pieces of hardware that had corrosion issues, things looked great.

I know that there was at least one major redesign of the SM bow roller system after our boat was built, so yours might be different...

Hopefully in a week or two we'll have pictures of the "new and improved", or at the very least, newly shiny, bow. Water intrusion into the port side locker should be greatly reduced.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
On the hard for another four days.