Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Carbon Dioxide

Mark Erdos

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

Also, it is good to close the rear head porthole if running the genset. Our CO2 alarm went off once in the aft cabin and this was where the gas entered.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:09 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Carbon Dioxide

We motored home for about six hrs. on Monday ,closed up the boat and went up to the house. Tuesday I went out to find the carbon dioxide alarm beeping in the aft cabin. I took it outside the reading went fro 500 or so to zero,took it back in and it went up again. So be aware of fumes entering the boat while motoring,if one was sleeping in the aft cabin for many hours while motoring it could have a bad outcome. I remember about ten years ago , a little girl died nearby while sleeping on her grandparent's motor yacht while the generator was running. The fumes apparently entered thru a forward hatch. Can't imagine how her grandparents felt. Just thought I would pass is on for what its worth.

Pat

SM#123

Ryan Meador

On my old boat, I saw what you experienced many, many times.  I was initially extremely concerned, as one should be.  But then one day my boat got unplugged from shore power by the dock staff, and that night after plugging it back in I was awakened by the CO alarm.  There had been nothing on board that produces CO in many days.  After much experimentation, I proved to my own satisfaction that the CO alarm was actually sensitive to hydrogen gas produced by the batteries when they were excessively charged.  It seems this is true for many CO alarms.

Take the alarm seriously.  Air the boat out well, and take care not to let exhaust inside.  But also check to see if your battery compartment ventilation is working correctly, and also check that your batteries aren't overcharging.  Some chargers will keep the voltage too high even though the batteries are full because other loads (e.g. refrigerator) are making the charger believe the batteries are still accepting a lot of current.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

Also, it is good to close the rear head porthole if running the genset. Our CO2 alarm went off once in the aft cabin and this was where the gas entered.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

We motored home for about six hrs. on Monday ,closed up the boat and went up to the house. Tuesday I went out to find the carbon dioxide alarm beeping in the aft cabin. I took it outside the reading went fro 500 or so to zero,took it back in and it went up again. So be aware of fumes entering the boat while motoring,if one was sleeping in the aft cabin for many hours while motoring it could have a bad outcome. I remember about ten years ago , a little girl died nearby while sleeping on her grandparent's motor yacht while the generator was running. The fumes apparently entered thru a forward hatch. Can't imagine how her grandparents felt. Just thought I would pass is on for what its worth.

Pat

SM#123

Patrick McAneny

Ryan, The batteries were not being charged. However, I thought of that and placed the unit in the battery compartment,it remained at zero.
Pat
SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 6:41 pm
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Carbon Dioxide

On my old boat, I saw what you experienced many, many times.  I was initially extremely concerned, as one should be.  But then one day my boat got unplugged from shore power by the dock staff, and that night after plugging it back in I was awakened by the CO alarm..  There had been nothing on board that produces CO in many days.  After much experimentation, I proved to my own satisfaction that the CO alarm was actually sensitive to hydrogen gas produced by the batteries when they were excessively charged.  It seems this is true for many CO alarms.

Take the alarm seriously.  Air the boat out well, and take care not to let exhaust inside.  But also check to see if your battery compartment ventilation is working correctly, and also check that your batteries aren't overcharging.  Some chargers will keep the voltage too high even though the batteries are full because other loads (e.g. refrigerator) are making the charger believe the batteries are still accepting a lot of current.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:39 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Pat
SM#123

Craig Briggs

Hi Pat,

So do you think it was from open hatches while you were motoring sucking exhaust into the aft cabin, but that did not set off the alarm then but only after you shut down the engine and presumably spent some time getting stuff off the boat etc., then closed the boat? That seems a really strange sequence of events as there's simply no more CO being generated after you shut down the engine. Do you think if someone was sleeping aft during your six hour motor they might have been subject to high CO levels? Or did CO somehow get created overnight or have been stored somewhere, like the engine room,  and then seeped into the aft cabin.. 

There must be a "rest of the story" somewhere in all this. Being careful is paramount, but knowing what the problem is is arguably more so.

Ours has never gone off with exhaust or battery gassing, but does go off with raw propane and with transmitting on the SSB and with weak batteries.

Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sailw32@...> wrote :

Ryan, The batteries were not being charged. However, I thought of that and placed the unit in the battery compartment,it remained at zero.
Pat
SM#123

From: Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
To: amelyachtowners <amelyachtowners@...>

On my old boat, I saw what you experienced many, many times.  I was initially extremely concerned, as one should be.  But then one day my boat got unplugged from shore power by the dock staff, and that night after plugging it back in I was awakened by the CO alarm..  There had been nothing on board that produces CO in many days.  After much experimentation, I proved to my own satisfaction that the CO alarm was actually sensitive to hydrogen gas produced by the batteries when they were excessively charged.  It seems this is true for many CO alarms.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Pat
SM#123

Patrick McAneny

Craig, We had the hatch open in the head , so I suppose that was the source. I get up first and start the genset every morning and my wife usually smells exhaust while in the aft cabin. Maybe while moving, enough air is moving thru to keep the level down, once stopped it builds. I can't answer the how or why, just want to report the possibility of high levels of CO ,so people are mindful of it .
Pat
SM#123

To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Pat,

So do you think it was from open hatches while you were motoring sucking exhaust into the aft cabin, but that did not set off the alarm then but only after you shut down the engine and presumably spent some time getting stuff off the boat etc., then closed the boat? That seems a really strange sequence of events as there's simply no more CO being generated after you shut down the engine. Do you think if someone was sleeping aft during your six hour motor they might have been subject to high CO levels? Or did CO somehow get created overnight or have been stored somewhere, like the engine room,  and then seeped into the aft cabin.. 

There must be a "rest of the story" somewhere in all this. Being careful is paramount, but knowing what the problem is is arguably more so.

Ours has never gone off with exhaust or battery gassing, but does go off with raw propane and with tr ansmitting on the SSB and with weak batteries.

Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Pat
SM#123

Take the alarm seriously.  Air the boat out well, and take care not to let exhaust inside.  But also check to see if your battery compartment ventilation is working correctly, and also check th at your batteries aren't overcharging.  Some chargers will keep the voltage too high even though the batteries are full because other loads (e.g. refrigerator) are making the charger believe the batteries are still accepting a lot of current.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Pat
SM#123

Craig Briggs

Hi Pat,
Sounds like that's the likely culprit. Important reminder to all.
Cheers, Craig

Craig, We had the hatch open in the head , so I suppose that was the source. I get up first and start the genset every morning and my wife usually smells exhaust while in the aft cabin. Maybe while moving, enough air is moving thru to keep the level down, once stopped it builds. I can't answer the how or why, just want to report the possibility of high levels of CO ,so people are mindful of it .
Pat
SM#123

From: sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Thu, Oct 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Pat,

Ours has never gone off with exhaust or battery gassing, but does go off with raw propane and with tr ansmitting on the SSB and with weak batteries.

Cheers, Craig SN68

Pat
SM#123

Take the alarm seriously.  Air the boat out well, and take care not to let exhaust inside.  But also check to see if your battery compartment ventilation is working correctly, and also check th at your batteries aren't overcharging.  Some chargers will keep the voltage too high even though the batteries are full because other loads (e.g. refrigerator) are making the charger believe the batteries are still accepting a lot of current.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Pat,

Good to remind us all.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Pat
SM#123