Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Climma A/C saltwater plumbing - Using barnacle buster.

eric freedman

Has anyone used barnacle buster and a circulating pump on the ac cooling water lines?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

karkauai

I just flush with B.B. and let it sit i the lines over night once a year.  So far all lines and manifold are free of any growth or scale.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Oct 11, 2018, at 10:56 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Has anyone used barnacle buster and a circulating pump on the ac cooling water lines?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Are we speaking about the AC cooling line?

My plan was you use the Barnacle buster circulating tank and hook it up to the input of the engine room

Manifold, then run a garden hose from the output seacock and back to the circulating bucket.

They suggested to use it for 4-6 hours.

Did you dilute the barnacle buster and if so what ratio?

I will also do so with the engine and genset. I plan on disconnecting the water input to the watermaker while doing this.

Fair Winds

Eric

I just flush with B.B. and let it sit i the lines over night once a year.  So far all lines and manifold are free of any growth or scale.

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

On Oct 11, 2018, at 10:56 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Has anyone used barnacle buster and a circulating pump on the ac cooling water lines?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Mark Erdos

Hi Eric,

I have done this as a regular part of maintenance every 6 month for the past 5 years. It is perfectly fine to use phosphoric acid or barnacle buster on the AC units. I don’t use BB anymore. I just buy phosphoric acid in the paint department of a hardware store or Sherman Williams for about ¼ of the BB price.

I use a set up just as you describe to re-circulate the acid. Be sure to use a filter in the bucket to catch the junk. I put a mesh balloon over the hose dumping into the bucket so the junk is not re-circulated.

If you use the concentrated BB which is about 17% phosphoric acid, use a solution of 30% acid 70% water in the bucket. There is a lot of water in the pipeline to add to the dilution.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Aruba

www.creampuff.us

I just flush with B.B. and let it sit i the lines over night once a year..  So far all lines and manifold are free of any growth or scale.

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

On Oct 11, 2018, at 10:56 PM, 'sailormon' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Has anyone used barnacle buster and a circulating pump on the ac cooling water lines?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

karkauai

Hi Eric,
I dilute the concentrate in 4 gallons of water, close the sea cock, and pour it in the sea chest with the AC cooling pump running.  After a gallon or so has been pumped through, I let it sit overnight and then run the AC pump with sea water as usual.

I do the same procedure with the Yanmar and Onan.

So far my hoses and manifold are all clean as a whistle after doing this twice a year for 10 years.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

[...]

rossirossix4

I know that most everyone knows this but...when mixing, add the acid to the water, not the water to the acid. Add small amounts at a time, and have a full water bottle for eye wash and a hose or sprinkler handy just in case you splash or spill.  Ditto for working with batteries.
Bob, KAIMI