Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

James Cromie

Alan - Thanks for sharing this.  There are many of us who have been desiring to replace our cracked sheaves, and this is a great and affordable alternative.  I am going to give it a try as well.

Thank you again everyone - This forum is full of gems!

-James
SV Soteria
SM2K  347

On Oct 16, 2018, at 5:44 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Courtesy of Jean-Luc Mertz, I have been in touch with Bernard Ancelle in France.

He is making a one piece toe pulley in PETP (polyester). They will be available for purchase in a few weeks

Bernard says :
The pulley is in one piece and thicker than original aluminum Amel one
for strength (but the core of the pulley has the same thickness as the
original one to be easily fitted).
The material is PETP which resists well to a lot of chemical products
(particularly sea water), does not absorb water, resists to UV and has
good mechanical properties.
The combination of plastics device and inox (stainless) screws would not be
subjected to corrosion as the previous one.

Bernard can supply the pulley including 3 x  M6 316L stainless bolts for 60 Euros plus postage.

You can order directly from Bernard by email :  ba at ancelle dot net

i have ordered two pulleys today.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Noumea...leaving for Opua tomorrow !

Kelly Ran

Thanks Alan!
Our prototype didn't work out, so we will order from Bernard!

Kelly + Ryan
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018, 21:10 James Cromie jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

karkauai

Thanks J-L and Alan.  I’m ordering, too.

Kent
S/V Kristy

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:26 PM, Kelly Ran naryllek@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Ondra

Toe Pulley Seekers,

I have received Bernard’s pulleys and they appear very well machined and of what looks to be a superb material (PETP). This instruction sheets also look well done and complete. However the slot/groove for the line is smooth, not ribbed or toothed, and the PETP is slippery. Has anyone installed these and how well do they work? It would seem that line size and composition must be very specific to this slot/groove.

[...]

ALETES SM#240

St. Augustine, FL

[...]

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

I don't want to step on any toes here, but I can't imagine how the pictured pulley could work.  The ribs in the Amel pulley are meant to grip the jib-car positioning line so that it doesn't slide in the pulley. Just like an Anderson winch.   You are depending on the "grip" of the rope to prevent the jib car from moving under load from the jib sheet.  Just my opinion.

Isn't Amel going to provide these any more?  I purchased a set a couple of years ago from them.   It also seemed that somewhere back in time on this forum someone posted about having manufactured properly ribbed pulleys from stainless steel.

Sincerely,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 # 335
One the hard at Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

I searched and found this: