Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

James Cromie

Alan - Thanks for sharing this.  There are many of us who have been desiring to replace our cracked sheaves, and this is a great and affordable alternative.  I am going to give it a try as well.  

Thank you again everyone - This forum is full of gems!

-James
SV Soteria 
SM2K  347

On Oct 16, 2018, at 5:44 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Courtesy of Jean-Luc Mertz, I have been in touch with Bernard Ancelle in France.

He is making a one piece toe pulley in PETP (polyester). They will be available for purchase in a few weeks

Bernard says :
The pulley is in one piece and thicker than original aluminum Amel one
for strength (but the core of the pulley has the same thickness as the
original one to be easily fitted).
The material is PETP which resists well to a lot of chemical products
(particularly sea water), does not absorb water, resists to UV and has
good mechanical properties.
The combination of plastics device and inox (stainless) screws would not be
subjected to corrosion as the previous one.

Bernard can supply the pulley including 3 x  M6 316L stainless bolts for 60 Euros plus postage.

You can order directly from Bernard by email :  ba at ancelle dot net

i have ordered two pulleys today.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Noumea...leaving for Opua tomorrow !

Kelly Ran

Thanks Alan! 
Our prototype didn't work out, so we will order from Bernard!

Kelly + Ryan
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018, 21:10 James Cromie jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alan - Thanks for sharing this.  There are many of us who have been desiring to replace our cracked sheaves, and this is a great and affordable alternative.  I am going to give it a try as well.  

-James
SV Soteria 
SM2K  347
On Oct 16, 2018, at 5:44 PM, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Courtesy of Jean-Luc Mertz, I have been in touch with Bernard Ancelle in France.

He is making a one piece toe pulley in PETP (polyester). They will be available for purchase in a few weeks

Bernard says :

Bernard can supply the pulley including 3 x  M6 316L stainless bolts for 60 Euros plus postage.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

karkauai

Thanks J-L and Alan.  I’m ordering, too.

Kent
S/V Kristy

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:26 PM, Kelly Ran naryllek@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Alan! 

Kelly + Ryan
SM233 Iteration
Boston

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018, 21:10 James Cromie jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Alan - Thanks for sharing this.  There are many of us who have been desiring to replace our cracked sheaves, and this is a great and affordable alternative.  I am going to give it a try as well.  

-James
SV Soteria 
SM2K  347

Bernard says :

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mike Ondra

Toe Pulley Seekers,

I have received Bernard’s pulleys and they appear very well machined and of what looks to be a superb material (PETP). This instruction sheets also look well done and complete. However the slot/groove for the line is smooth, not ribbed or toothed, and the PETP is slippery. Has anyone installed these and how well do they work? It would seem that line size and composition must be very specific to this slot/groove.

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:02 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

Kent

S/V Kristy

On Oct 16, 2018, at 9:26 PM, Kelly Ran naryllek@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Alan! 

Kelly + Ryan

SM233 Iteration

Boston

-James

SV Soteria 

SM2K  347

Bernard says :

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Mike Ondra

Toe Pulley Seekers,

I have received Bernard’s pulleys and they appear very well machined and of what looks to be a superb material (PETP). This instruction sheets also look well done and complete. However the slot/groove for the line is smooth, not ribbed or toothed, and the PETP is slippery. Has anyone installed these and how well do they work? It would seem that line size and composition must be very specific to this slot/groove.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240

St. Augustine, FL

Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

Kent

S/V Kristy

Thanks Alan! 

Kelly + Ryan

SM233 Iteration

Boston

-James

SV Soteria 

SM2K  347

Bernard says :

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

I don't want to step on any toes here, but I can't imagine how the pictured pulley could work.  The ribs in the Amel pulley are meant to grip the jib-car positioning line so that it doesn't slide in the pulley. Just like an Anderson winch.   You are depending on the "grip" of the rope to prevent the jib car from moving under load from the jib sheet.  Just my opinion.  

Isn't Amel going to provide these any more?  I purchased a set a couple of years ago from them.   It also seemed that somewhere back in time on this forum someone posted about having manufactured properly ribbed pulleys from stainless steel. 

Sincerely, 

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona 
Amel SM 2000 # 335
One the hard at Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

I searched and found this: 

[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of ladyannila
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:24 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Jib sheet traveller remote control

Please find pictures of our new stainless steal jib sheet travaller disks in
the photo section in album Jib Sheet Traveller Remote Control.

Instead of buying new in aluminium from Amel. We made a drawing and went to
a mechanical workshop that made similar plates in stainless steal for us.

This will hopefully keep on working for the rest of our sailing life.

Fair Winds
Annsofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila, SM #232

Here is a link to the photos:  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/amelyachtowners/search/photos?query=jib%20sheet%20remote#zax/albums_831107209

Those are elegant and stainless is great.  The only modification I would consider is indexing the screws so that the "ribs" are offset from each other, thus allowing the line to "weave" thru the pulley, like an Anderson winch. 

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona

Alan Leslie

Yeah...I bought a set and I'm thinking the same thing, but maybe using Vectran with a polyester cover and pulled tight it may be OK....
I'm not back on the boat until the end of January, I'll install them then, test them out and report back.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

eric freedman

Alan.

I believe when the Genoa car outhaul line gets wet I think this sheave will slip.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 5:29 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

Yeah...I bought a set and I'm thinking the same thing, but maybe using Vectran with a polyester cover and pulled tight it may be OK....

I'm not back on the boat until the end of January, I'll install them then, test them out and report back.

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Mike Ondra

Hi Alan,

I have emailed Bernard (without reply to date) about any testing he may have done relative to slippage and recommended line size/composition.

Peter de Groot has lightly tested this with success. Since I have Bernard’s sheaves and will not be on Aletes until February I will be eager for your evaluation and see if you find like Peter that these work.

Does anyone else have experience with Bernard’s sheaves?

If there is insufficient friction, a possible modification might be to drill into the slot/groove all around to create teeth. See sketch. Drill size and spacing is engineering far beyond my capability. Gut feel is between ½” and 5/8” diameter and 12 to 16 in total.

I am also a bit concerned about sharp edges chafing the line. May soften them a bit with sandpaper.

Thoughts so far pending other’s insightful comments.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Sent: Friday, December 28, 2018 5:29 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Toe pulley (headsail)

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Thanks Mike,

Jean-Luc Mertz was the original prototype tester.

Maybe you have some advice Jean-Luc?

Cheers

Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Further to this, I've looked closely at the pulley and the groove is actually wider at the outside than the inside.
As near as I can measure it, just under 10mm at the outer edge and just under 8mm at the inside before the curve. I think this angled flange with a 10mm polyester sheathed vectran core line pulled tight probably will do the job.
That's what I'll do at the end of the month and we'll see how it goes when soaked.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

Alan,

Those dimensions are very different than the Amel original cast pulleys, and the shape is also very different, with significantly less taper.

Amel's design has a 15mm opening on the outer edge, and 5.6mm at the "bottom" of the groove (ignoring the line gripping ribs). The bottom of the groove on the Amel pulleys is also not curved, but square.

We received two sets from Amel in September.  Are they no longer available?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <divanz620@...> wrote :

Further to this, I've looked closely at the pulley and the groove is actually wider at the outside than the inside.
As near as I can measure it, just under 10mm at the outer edge and just under 8mm at the inside before the curve. I think this angled flange with a 10mm polyester sheathed vectran core line pulled tight probably will do the job.
That's what I'll do at the end of the month and we'll see how it goes when soaked.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bill,

Yes the Amel pulleys are available at Eu200+ each, that's Eu400+ for a pair, but they're alloy with SS bolts and on a SS shaft...as you know that's not good with sea water around....that's why they need replacing.
Bernard's pulleys are only 60Eu for a pair, so worth trying I think. I'll install them and use 10mm polyester sheathed Vectran (no creep, no stretch) and see how they go.

Cheers

Alan
Elyse SM437

jlm@jlmertz.fr

I have a prototype of Bernard thoe pulley and the first test under sail by 20/25 nds wind are perfect ...

Jean Luc on CottonBay

Le 28/12/2018 à 05:41, amelliahona a écrit :

I don't want to step on any toes here, but I can't imagine how the pictured pulley could work.  The ribs in the Amel pulley are meant to grip the jib-car positioning line so that it doesn't slide in the pulley. Just like an Anderson winch.   You are depending on the "grip" of the rope to prevent the jib car from moving under load from the jib sheet.  Just my opinion.  

Isn't Amel going to provide these any more?  I purchased a set a couple of years ago from them.   It also seemed that somewhere back in time on this forum someone posted about having manufactured properly ribbed pulleys from stainless steel. 

Sincerely, 

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona 
Amel SM 2000 # 335
One the hard at Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hello,

At this time with 20/25nds wind test, it's workrs perfectly ....

Note : my rope is particularly tight to avoid slipping. After trying I do not think this is a critical point

Bon vents

Jean Luc on CottonBay

Le 29/12/2018 à 23:58, divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

Thanks Mike,

Jean-Luc Mertz was the original prototype tester.

Maybe you have some advice Jean-Luc?

Cheers

Alan
Elyse SM437

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com