[Amel Yacht Owners] Ballooner Not Locking

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi. The main swivel has a tongue going into the slot to locate it. Over time it wears through and no longer locates. I think you will find  this is your trouble. It is on a small plate held in place by two machine screws. Take this plate off and you will likely find the tongue is gone. Just get a new one made and welded on to the plate
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean pearl

On 18/10/2018 19:53, "Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

The last few times I have used my ballooner it has failed to lock into
the swivel. The halyard run looks normal and I have tried various
rotational positions other than the recommended one of the slot facing
dead aft. It still refuses to lock. I am wondering if the swivel should
be lower to offset the rearwards departure of the halyard as the hook
nears the top? I could only lower the genoa by a few inches before it
touches the pulpit rails. I have tried both my nylon and aluminium hooks
with and without the sail attached. The mousetrap on the swivel looks
and functions normally, or did a few weeks ago when I had the genoa down
after the problem first appeared.

Any thoughts please? I love using this sail.

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader (2003)

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Ian,

Happened to me once and it was because the ballooner and spinnaker lines were twisted… so as I raised the ballooner it did not lock into the mousetrap.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ballooner Not Locking
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>