Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main outhaul rope

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Alan,

I'm going to try and protect my investment in the dyneema by trying on Bills advice to make it even tighter, I dont think its possible but Ill give it a go. If that fails Ill see if I can get vectran. The line I had before lasted 40.000 miles before its cover stripped, per favour being very tight.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 November 2018 at 10:05 "divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

I tried all sorts and none worked until I used 12mm Vectran and that has been very successful for the past 4 years now..

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Hi Danny,

I tried with Spectra which is similar to Dyneema, but no matter how tight, it slipped.
I think the diameter also has something to do with it...Anderson actually specify 12mm in their manual.
Good luck !
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alan,

Ive used 12mm dyneema. Ive tried tightening today. Yet to sail,

Regards

Danny

On 01 November 2018 at 14:19 "divanz620@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny,

I tried with Spectra which is similar to Dyneema, but no matter how tight, it slipped.
I think the diameter also has something to do with it...Anderson actually specify 12mm in their manual.
Good luck !
Alan
Elyse SM437

Paul Osterberg

Danny
We bought a 12 mm Vectran line with a cover claimed to be high friction to avoid the slip, still it happens that it slip but very seldom now. If I would buy again I would try 12 mm Dyneema core, the creep and elongation would be very low.  A problem with to tight might be wear and tear on the bearings.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM259, in Hampton Virginia waiting for a weather window for Antigua

Danny Simms

Thanks Paul,
I agree there may be a risk of damage by being too tight. I have tightened my dyneema 12mm to see if it stops the slipping but I dont want that much load on long term. I will try vectran as you did.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl