Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Main sheet boom slider broken

Mike Ondra

Thanks for the heads up Paul.
Our slider also showed signs of cracking. See attached photo. As it happened we stopped in at Hampton over night to allow weather to moderate off Hatteras and the shop was only a 20 minute walk from the marina. Replacement piece very nicely done and powder-coated. Andre and Ashley Gilliam we're very nice even giving me a lift back to the boat. They have 5 more boom slides for anyone who is interested at $205.
We had one of our ballooner hookers break so I left it with him as a pattern to see if they could fabricate a new one out of aluminum. Will follow up with information as it becomes available.
Mike Ondra
Aletes SM240
Southbound to St. Augustine.

Sent from my Verizon Motorola Droid

On Oct 31, 2018 8:59 PM, "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Paul,

There have indeed been quite a number boats with failures of this item. Two things to consider when having one made. First, not all aluminum is created equal. Be sure to quiz the fabricator as to the correct grade. Second, consider making it longer, say twice as long to make it more robust.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 01 November 2018 at 10:33 "pstas2003@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Good day fellow sailors.

I didn’t pay too much attention to this topic when I read it as I didn’t think we had the problem.  However, a week or so ago, when Chuck and Kim on S/V Joy stopped by, Chuck had me take a close look and sure enough, we had some cracks in our block.  Chuck’s was in worse shape than ours.  He removed his and found a local fabricator here in Hampton, VA to make a new one.  I jumped on board and had one made for myself as well.

Chuck instructed the fabricator to make the new one larger in the hopes that it would be stronger.  We were both happy with the finished product (see pics).

The fabricator made a bunch of extras (I think 6) if anyone is interested in obtaining one.  The cost out the door was $205.00.

The fabricator can be contacted at:

Gilliam Welding
757-727-0773
Metals at GilliamWelding dot com
www.GilliamWelding.com

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Cruising US East Coast

Posted by: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...>

Check out the automatic photo album with 3 photo(s) from this topic.
boom block (1 of 1).jpg IMG_0771.JPG IMG_0775.JPG

greatketch@...

After hearing about, and seeing several boats, with problems at the attachment between the main boom and the mainsheet, I went back and took an extra careful look at this part on Harmonie.  No evidence of any problem (or any repair) at all.  Having gone looking because I was thinking this was a weak point in the design of the boom, and coming into our boat after it has already completed two circumnavigations, I was fully expecting to find at least a subtle issue I have missed before.

NOT finding it had me wondering: Why?  What could cause a failure of this part, other than normal time and wear?

Accidental gybes.

I am pretty sure I have said this before, but...  there are two important things to remember.  First, of course, is to use your preventer whenever possible.  It would be nice to say "always" but sometimes you just have a little way to go, and it is a bit of a pain to rig, so...

The second point, and I think even more critical, is to use the traveler.

If the traveler is centered, and the boom is eased using only the sheet, it can gain great speed and momentum when it gybes.  The force required to stop it can cause damage in a number of places, and the attachment point of the sheet to the boom is obviously vulnerable. If the traveler is dropped all the way down to the leeward side before easing the mainsheet, even if (when!) a gybe  happens the boom crosses only about to the center line, and the force needed to stop it is greatly reduced, along with the potential for damage.

I know both previous owners of Harmonie were very fussy about using the traveler.  With over 100K miles under her keel, I imagine she has seen more accidental gybes than I have inflicted on her, but with the traveler always down, it isn't nearly as hard on the boat as it might otherwise have been.

I have seen some really ugly things happen as the result of accidental gybes on non-Amel boats. From broken blocks, through broken booms, right on up to dismastings.  Anything that can be done to reduce the forces involved is a good thing.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, Florida

Danny Simms

Hi Bill.
I would have to agree with you, your experience with Harmonie proves it. However Alan of Elyse has a point too, over use of the power of the mainsheet winch by inexperienced crew.  By whatever means a  number of boats have a failure here. Which brings me to your comments about the damage seen on non Amel boats. It would seem Amel has again put a smart design in place, a low cost and high safety weak point. How much better to have the block break off the boom than have the boom break. The block can be reattached temporarily by a line around the boom. A bit hard to replace a boom mid ocean
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 14:54, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

It is interesting to note that not all models of Amel boats have this sliding block arrangement. I've seen older Maramus that have welded tangs and I think all the 54s were built that way.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny Simms

I always said the SM was the culmination of Henri's design work.
Cheers
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl