[Amel Yacht Owners] day fuel tank

Don’t bother.  Most folks just use a dual filter and some, including us, use the RACOR fuel filtering funnel.

Good luck,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007
Opua, NZ

On 8 Nov 2018, at 20:53, mfw642000@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi everyone. I am interested in fitting a day fuel tank in a super maramu and wondering if anyone has ever done this before. I would like to set up a fuel polishing system going to the day tank that would gravity feed to the engine. I was hoping to get another 100 liters of fuel as well.
I am looking at mounting it behind the cockpit drain pipes attached to the aft wall of the engine room.
Feeding the tank with a fass fuel filter and pump.
Really appreciate any advice
Michael 251 sm

greatketch@...

This is really a matter of cruising style and preference.  Some people feel that a Super Maramu's installed fuel capacity is not adequate for a world cruising boat, and others worry about fuel going bad before they use it.  Neither approach is wrong, it really is a matter of taste.  Some people fire up the engine anytime boat speed drops below 5 knots.  Others are perfectly happy drifting along at 2 knots.

I know our boat has already been around the world--TWICE--with only the factory installed fuel tank.  I decided not to add complexity--and weight--by changing an obviously successful design.

Don't forget, by dropping your speed from 6 knots to 5 knots you--almost--double your motoring range.  Go to 4 knots and you--almost--double it again.

I don't have a recommendation on how to install a day tank, just an observation that it MIGHT not be the way you want to go.  If you do want to go that way, I know several people on this forum have, and will have good ideas on how to do it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood Florida, USA

michael winand

Thanks Bill.
I am looking at this for a little extra fuel capacity  say 100-120litres and to also be able to get the filtration system sorted.
A pump system through a large  filter to the day tank. Day tank over flow back to the main.
In a large seaway I will be more comfortable with knowing that when the main tank is down to the last 100 liters  I have a good supply at the day tank.
Current setup has the engine having to suck fuel  as the main  tank gets down to 1/3 .
I am thinking that gravity feed from above wouldn't hurt.
I would still have a second set of filters on the day tank.
Regards Michael

On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 14:26, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
wrote:

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Michael,

On Nikimat, I had 5 x 20 liter Jerry can full of diesel in the lazarette.
My refueling rules (probably over killed) was:
fill up jerry can, then transfer them to main thank through a Baja filter.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] day fuel tank
To: "amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com" <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 10:11 PM

Thanks Bill.I
am looking at this for a little extra fuel capacity  say
100-120litres and to also be able to get the filtration
system sorted. A
pump system through a large  filter to the day tank. Day
tank over flow back to the main. In
a large seaway I will be more comfortable with knowing that
when the main tank is down to the last 100 liters  I have a
good supply at the day tank. Current
setup has the engine having to suck fuel  as the main
tank gets down to 1/3 . I
am thinking that gravity feed from above wouldn't
hurt. I
would still have a second set of filters on the day
tank. Regards
Michael

Sent
from Yahoo7 Mail on Android
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at
14:26, greatketch@yahoo.com
wrote:

[...]

}
#yiv4647367890

Alan Leslie

We do the same. We have 10 x 20 litre containers in the port side deck locker.
We have never needed to use them and end up putting the fuel in the main tank eventually.
For the last two years I have not filled them and contemplate getting rid of them from time to time!
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

michael winand

Thanks Alexandre
I am doing the same as you have recommended. Maybe overkill. But good to know that the fuel in the tank is clean.

To: "amelyachtowners@..."