Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Rocna anchor

karkauai

I am very happy with my 40kg Rocna.  Snugs up nicely on the bow roller, sets and holds better than anything else I’ve used.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Still stuck in snowy rainy cold Maryland...wondering if we’ll ever get out of here.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Nov 15, 2018, at 3:04 PM, arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

You who use The Rocna anchor and are sailing an SM wich size are working best?

Kind regards

Arthur Sundqvist

SM 435, Vista

Please remember that not all bow rollers are the same on all SMs.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:07 PM Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am very happy with my 40kg Rocna.  Snugs up nicely on the bow roller, sets and holds better than anything else I’ve used.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Still stuck in snowy rainy cold Maryland...wondering if we’ll ever get out of here.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Nov 15, 2018, at 3:04 PM, arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

You who use The Rocna anchor and are sailing an SM wich size are working best?

Kind regards

Arthur Sundqvist

SM 435, Vista

karkauai

I made a mock-up out of heavy cardboard using full sized drawings from Rocna before ordering.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Nov 15, 2018, at 5:17 PM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

James Studdart

We also use a 40kg rocna. Flawless, we’ve never dragged once it’s set.

Cheers,
James.
SeaBean, SM344

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 17:39 Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you. Sounds. Good. Do you har 10 or 12 mm chain?
Arthur
SM 435 Vista

Arthur Sundqvist

Thank you. Bill for always thinking two steps ahead.
12 or 10 mm chain???
Best
Arthur
SM 435, Vista

Arthur Sundqvist

Thank you. Here in. Stockholm winter is coming.
Do you use 12 or 10 mm chain ?

Kind Regards
Arthur
SM 435. Vista

Arthur Sundqvist

10. Or. 12mm. Chain?

Arthur
SM 435. Vista

robin hutter

on my old Super Maramu built in 1991, hull number 56 the 40 kg Rocna did not fit therefore I fit a 33 kg which worked perfectly.

fair winds
Robin
Amel 54 #54 (2007)
Carré d’As

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail für iPad

Am Donnerstag, November 15, 2018, 23:07 schrieb Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] :

I am very happy with my 40kg Rocna.  Snugs up nicely on the bow roller, sets and holds better than anything else I’ve used.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
Still stuck in snowy rainy cold Maryland...wondering if we’ll ever get out of here.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Nov 15, 2018, at 3:04 PM, arthur@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

You who use The Rocna anchor and are sailing an SM wich size are working best?

Kind regards

Arthur Sundqvist

SM 435, Vista

greatketch@...

10mm G40 (or 3/8" HT)

If you want a slightly stronger chain look for Maggi Aqua4 brand 10mm chain that will work as well. There might be other brands that boast higher than "standard" strengths as well.

When sizing chain you can size it "forward" or "backward."  If you size it "forward" you calculate the size chain you need to hold your boat in the worst conditions you ever expect to anchor in.  Amel selected 10mm chain, and this seems a good choice to me.  With a good stretchy snubber, and care on selection of connecting bits 10mm chain should be fine for this boat.

Sizing an anchor "backward" is using the maximum holding power of the anchor in good conditions then using that number to figure chain size.  This is how Rocna comes up with their recommendation of 11mm for a 40kg anchor.

Most cruising boats will oversize their anchors at least a little to help when anchored in bottoms that are less than ideal.  There really is no significant benefit to increase the chain strength as well.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Arthur Sundqvist

Thank you for sharing your resersh and knowledge.
Kind regards
Arthur
SM435. Vista

Skickat från min iPhone