Adding weight to the bow

ericmeury@...

This has been going on sometime and seem to be a "common problem" but my santorin is ass heavy and we made the issue worse last year when we added 4 L16 batteries to the engine room and installed the hydrovane.  We want to add an Arch mainly for getting the solar panels off the deck behind the mast since we have a new crew member.

The fwd head thru hull is pretty much fully exposed our of the water about an inch.  We have the rocna 33kg mounted on the bow with 190 feet of chain.  and a the original CQR sitting in the the stb fwd locker.

Spare parts are mid ship under the birth and the passage way to the aft cabin carries the tools.  I do plan on moving those to the forward hanging locker.

What else an be done?

Looking for ideas before we add the arch

Craig Briggs

Just do what the power boaters do and add lead forward, or in the starboard hanging locker (where you might also keep your tools.) And/or add another 1 or 2 hundred feet of chain. Don't know if you've got a fixed bimini over the cockpit but if so that could be an alternate solar panel location, eliminating the arch.
Good luck with it.
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ericmeury@...> wrote :

This has been going on sometime and seem to be a "common problem" but my santorin is ass heavy and we made the issue worse last year when we added 4 L16 batteries to the engine room and installed the hydrovane.  We want to add an Arch mainly for getting the solar panels off the deck behind the mast since we have a new crew member.

The fwd head thru hull is pretty much fully exposed our of the water about an inch.  We have the rocna 33kg mounted on the bow with 190 feet of chain.  and a the original CQR sitting in the the stb fwd locker.

Spare parts are mid ship under the birth and the passage way to the aft cabin carries the tools.  I do plan on moving those to the forward hanging locker.

What else an be done?

Looking for ideas before we add the arch

ericmeury@...

hey craig I was going to call you on this.

Do you have a hard bimini now?

Craig Briggs

Hi Eric,
I designed a stainless tube frame that fastens to the mizzen stays like our balooner "wishbones" do to the main stays, so no typical bimini uprights to deal with. This is covered with sunbrella, zipped in front but lashed "T" top style on the sides and back so it's taut as the cross members follow the same curve as the Amel bimini at the hard dodger. Can add solar panels either with through-canvas mounts (preferred) or by adding some supplemental metal framework above the canvas.

Let me know if you'd like pics, although it's pretty straightforward.
Cheers,
Craig