Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Amel54 SSB installation

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Dean,
My 54 had a whip antenna that had broken off at deck level when I bought the boat. Since I replaced all the standing rigging anyway I included backstay isolators for the starboard mizzen backstay located above reach height from deck to which is fixed a cable that is also within a plastic tube, that connects to the tuner in the Lazarette.. There is thus zero risk of someone being burnt during SSB transmission. It is a simple, less expensive arrangement. Furthermore the antenna is 15m long between the two isolators which is the recommended length for the SSB. I prefer this arrangement to the original whip antenna.
Nick
Amelia #019 AML54

On 2 Dec 2018, at 21:09, trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks Daniel,
Interesting (and entertaining), definitely food for thought. I had not considered Joel’s third argumennt at all! For me, another point for consideration would be the cumbersome/unsightly nature of the whip (even before it degrades).

At this stage I’m still not fully convinced about which Tx antenna solution I prefer. I believe a properly sized backstay antenna (in concert with a good antenna tuner) is every bit as efficient as a whip antenna.
In the unlikely event that my rig comes down and I really need to make “that” call, my first response is more likely to be EPIRB activation followed by digging out my emergency antenna.
(Anyone know of a dismasted SM or 54?)
Long term degradation of a whip is managed easily by replacement, and the poor aesthetic is offset by the ease of installation with no requirement for a rigger.

It’s still a line ball for me right now !
Luckily I have a few more months to think about it 😜

Many thanks
Dean Gillies
SY Stella
Amel 54#154

Dean Gillies

Hi Nick,
Great feedback! That is exactly the configuration I have in mind if I go down the backstay path.

Did you use spacers between the plastic tube holding the feed cable and the lower part of the backstay.
Also, do you have any leakage problems in the antenna feed cable?

Cheers
Dean

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Dean,
The little stand off spacers are on my list of “things to do”.

No leakage problems.

Nick “Amelia”