Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Swivel Ball Stopper Plugs

Ian Shepherd

Ian,

just one question. As the stopper hole has no shoulder on it, how do you stop the plug from going too far in and disrupting the ball track?

Ian SM2K 414 Crusader Cyprus

On 04/12/2018 15:29, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Ian
That is exactly what I did. But I went to a machine shop, left the swivel with them and they made a perfect stopper, shaped to the ball race and with the alignment ridge on the outside. Not sure what the plastic was - it was very hard and a perfect fit. I believe it was a plastic rod the correct diameter they started with.
I should have asked them to make a few spares but I didn’t think about it at the time.
That ridge is important if the stopper turns the swivel jams. I used a short plug at first but one bearing would catch on the edge of the hole, stop and jam it he rest. It has to be a match for the bearing groove.
Good luck.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Ian Park

Ian
It was a flush fit and the two halves of the furler rolled round smoothly. I guess that as long as the plug is kept oriented properly by the ridge the bearings keep it in place. The whole thing is a nicely simple design that works. I know that while I was experimenting with plugs the ball race jammed every time, until it was the right shape for the ball race and kept in position by that ridge.

No circlips on mine. I used standard Harken Delrin bearings. Marked as 10mm but measured a bit less. Still working well. Never did think of lubrication. Not much salt at the top of the forestay, but always gave it a good soak in fresh water when the sail came off.

Ian