Antal main outhaul car for 1999 Super Maramu 2000

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

Hello All, I need your help.

Aquarius is a 1999 Super Maramu 2000, and the car for the main outhaul was damaged.  I bought a new one in New Zealand from Antal (Hall Spars), but the new car is a different size.  The center ridge on the track attached to the main boom is too high, and the car will not fit on the track.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Hopefully I will not have to replace the track on the main boom just because Antal changed the track size!!!!!

Thanks,

Ken Powers

mfmcgovern@...

Ken,

It's more likely that you purchased or were sent the wrong car.  Do you know the part number of the car?  If so, post it here.

The track on the main boom should be 31mm wide x 21mm tall.  That track is still made and sold by Antal:  https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/2-Antal-4-Race-Tracks-31-21.html and so is the car:  https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/product/ANT4110SH.html

Depending on what what damaged and how bad you might be able to repair/rebuild your car.  Check out Alex from Nikimat's excellent write-ups on rebuilding his boom cars here:  http://nikimat.com/boom_extension_car.html and here:  http://nikimat.com/boom_extension_car_rebuild.html

Good luck!

Mark McGovern
SM#440 Cara
Wintry and Cold Deale, MD USA

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117

Hi, Ken.
I had the same issue earlier this year. Yes, Antal changed the track size. I had to replace the track for €457. Your Mainsail is probably not set up for this, but I've seen some mainsails that are fitted with a block on the clew to provide a 2:1 purchase. Makes it easier on the electric motor and rigging. More importantly, that car (Antal 4110/SH BB CAR 110 WITH SHACKLE) was never designed to be a clew outhaul car according to the engineer I spoke with at Antal. It's a traveller car where the force is directly vertical. The Amel system puts undue stress on the car, pulling it at an angle causing it to fail. So, at some point in the suture (when I replace my sail or the current car explodes), I plan to replace my car with the Antal Outhaul system. See: http://antal.it/ENG/SYS0052_en.
Not trying to throw you off, just give you more information to make smart buying choices.

-Bode
SV Intention
SM #117, 1994

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117

Hi Ken,
After looking into this a bit more, I realize that you can't use the clew-block I proposed above (duh). I'm looking into other alternatives, but I don't have a better answer than the stock setup for now. Guess neither did Amel. So, disregard my comments above about replacing the track car. Sorry about the confusion.
-Bode