Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Original Autopilot Integration With New Chartplotter

Mark Erdos

I would suggest installing a separate antenna for the AIS. I installed the AIS antenna on the top of the mizzen mast and followed the radar cabling to the nav station (very easy to do – access in aft head next to the mirror). I have yet to find a splitter that doesn’t impede upon the performance on the units attached.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 12:02 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Original Autopilot Integration With New Chartplotter

Dear Amelians,

We became proud owners of SM hull #293 last summer... We received lots of help from Olivier Beauté and Bill Rouse, but there is still sooooo much to learn... This Forum is invaluable!

One question I have: the electronics on Carpathia is exactly the same as 18 years ago. Among other things, I would like to install a Vesper AIS transponder and a new VHF DSC/AIS (probably B&G V60), as well as create the beginning of a NMEA2000 backbone. How does it work for the antenna when two AIS systems coexist? The VHF will have an internal splitter but can there be another - external - splitter for the transponder, all this working from the same antenna, or do I need a second antenna?

Peregrinus, you seem to have installed this configuration? Others?

Many thanks for your help,

Cathy & Guillaume

s/v Carpathia III – SM2K#293

Ian Park

Did the same as Mark. Good to have the second antenna - is an easy swap if there is a problem with the VHF antenna.
Nice having two masts for all the cables.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96