[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: shaft seals

It is true that two wider seals will fit, but you will lose the double protection of losing oil that was designed by Amel.

You know me...stick with the original design unless it is an emergency, or you have personally cleared your planned change with Captain Amel. And, yes I spoke with the Captain about a solar Arch with the help of a Romanian and a funny looking board.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 13:04 sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hi Bob,

3 each 45 65 8.  Or you can use 2 each 45 65 12.
All with stainless steel garter springs.
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Can someone please remind me of the dimensions of the 3 shaft seals that go on the Wear Out Bearing? I am not on the boat, but want to order spares to take back with me.

Bob
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31

michael winand

Hi Bill
I'm still contemplating the arch.
Could you please tell us what you learnt from the other side?
Nice one

---In amelyachtowners@..., <hodginsbob@...> wrote :

Can someone please remind me of the dimensions of the 3 shaft seals that go on the Wear Out Bearing? I am not on the boat, but want to order spares to take back with me.

Bob
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31

Craig Briggs

Hi Bill,

Actually, I saw that notation on the original Amel drawing of the "C" drive, viz., either 3 each of 45 65 8 or 2 each of 45 65 12.

Hey! We should check with Brother Jose Venegas to see how his experiment with reorienting the seals is coming.

Cheers,
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :

[...]

Beaute Olivier

Hello Bob, Craig and Bill(s),

AMEL indeed made an experiment (maybe around 1992) of 2 x 12mm seals, with molded in springs, but they were too stiff and the result was not as good as the three seals solution (with open springs stuffed with silicone grease). The third seal working as a potential back-up.

Keep the three seals...

Olivier

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Can someone please remind me of the dimensions of the 3 shaft seals that go on the Wear Out Bearing? I am not on the boat, but want to order spares to take back with me.

Bob
Gallivant
Amel 54 #31

Craig Briggs

Olivier,
Since I've got a 1992 boat, that must explain why my drawings show the 2 x 12 mm.
Thanks for the clarification.
Cheers, Craig SN68

On Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 1:24:02 AM GMT+1, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hey Craig,

Two seal option is not on my original Amel Drawing of the C Drive.