Toe pulley (headsail)

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117

Thanks for the info on the Andersen Line Tender, Gerhard from Sharki #60. I'll drop him a line.
-Bode

Peter de Groot

For what it’s worth, this 18 month Amel newbie installed one and been out twice in light winds, dry conditions.  So far no slipping.

After first installing, I tried to get it to slip manually, but it held and my confidence up a notch.

I’ll report back after going through some tougher conditions.

Peter de Groot

La Querida SM#207

Moss Landing ,CA

Alan Leslie

Thanks Peter,

Can you tell us what type and size of line you used ?

Cheers
Alan
Elys SM437

Peter de Groot

Greetings all and best wishes for a Happy 2019,

Today I went back to the boat and did a series of tests on the Bernard toe pulley installed on the starboard side and compared it to the Amel stock pulley installed on the port side.  My conclusion is all of our concerns of slippage with  the Bernard pulley are well founded.

Details:  I tied the starboard car to a stanchion post with a random line of about 3 ft (1m).  Inserting a winch handle and cranking against the secured car slippage occurred with an estimated 50 lbs (23 kg) of force at the end of the winch handle.  I tightened the car line (3/8” or 10mm fairly old and weathered) and maybe improved the torque required to slip the pulley slightly.  To  test pulling the other way, the force the jib sheet exerts on the car:  I engaged the lock at the toe pulley shaft while the 3ft (1m) line I used to secure the car was quite taught.  I pulled upward at the center of that short line and could not get the toe pulley to slip.

Next I repeated all of that after emptying a bucket of harbor water on the pulley and line.  The wet system failed badly.  I could pull up on the short line and more the car fairly easily.  Torque at the winch handle to slip the pulley was half the effort it was when the system was dry.

Then I went to the port side with the original Amel pulley…..there’s no comparison… no slip as I’m sure you all have experienced.

So I’m in the market again for at least one toe pulley.  Do we have any details on where to purchase the stainless pulleys posted by Gary Silver?

Alan Leslie

Hello "pfdg53"

Your 10mm line....is it standard polyester line ? I gather it is as you say it's old and tired.
Maybe it would work better with 10mm Vectran pulled really tight?

Cheers and Happy New Year
Alan
Elyse SM437

Peter de Groot

Sorry all,

I again failed to identify myself:

Peter de Groot

La Querida sm#207

Moss Landing CA,

Yes Alan,

I will repeat with some new Vectran line.  It may take a few weeks before I have the results as I will be traveling.

Alan Leslie

Thanks Peter,

I will try it with tight Vectran at the end of January and report back to the group.
I am fairly confident, after reading the email Mike received from Bernard, that it will be OK.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

mfmcgovern@...

Gentlemen,

This thread inspired me to take a look at the condition of the pulleys on my 2004 SM.  Thankfully there are no signs of cracking on either pulley but when I tried to remove them I found at least one fastener on each pulley had "welded" itself to the pulley due to galvanic corrosion.  It took me hours of heating, beating, and gentle coaxing to remove the corroded screws in the controlled environment of my workshop.  And in doing so I caused some minor damage to the threads in one of the pulleys.  I would not want to try doing this on the boat.

Given all that, I'm going to have my machinist make me a new set of these pulleys so I can replace them preemptively in a controlled environment.  I am going to have him replicate the original two-piece design as closely as possible with the raised ribs on each side offset so that the line will "weave" through them.  However, they will be made from 316 Stainless Steel to eliminate the risk of galvanic corrosion between the machine screws and the pulleys.

It won't be much trouble to machine a few more sets at the same time so if you are interested in purchasing some, send me an email at mfmcgovern@... (mfmcgovern at gmail dot com).  I won't have a final cost until we've made the first one but I estimate around US$200 per pulley made from 316 Stainless Steel (+/- ~10%).

Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA