Amel Yacht Owner's Registry

Dean Gillies

HI Gents,
Good work, I'm happy to be added.

SY Stella, Amel 54 Hull No 154, 2010

Cheers
Dean

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Regarding the Amel Register; the database of Amel boats and owners.  I find the collection of this material particularly troublesome especially when the AOG is part of the source material.  I believe there is some small expectation of privacy i.e. the AOG is a closed group.  The amount of data collected would have any marketing manager salivating that desires to target a group such as this this group.

Mining data that you desire to collect is intrusive and I believe the potential for misuse by any number of third parties is quite high.  As we have seen over the last few years no data is truly secure.  As much as you believe you are providing as service I feel this is a disservice to Amel owners and serves no purpose that will provide any benefit to current owners.

My request to the AOG forum moderators would be to expunge any existing list or database currently in the AOG forum and prevent in the future any similar databases from being resident in the AOG forum.  Although most of  this information is a matter of public record it is not now or ever should be part of this forum.  In my opinion the AOG forum is for the exchange of ideas and information to benefit Amel owners in the operation and maintenance of their boats, pure and simple.

Mark Mueller

Brass Ring  A54

Alan Leslie

I think you are all getting a bit carried away..calm down children.

This information is only available to forum members
Only Hull #, date of manufacture, boat type and name are published.
If an owner wishes to give more information that is up to them.

With no peoples names or contact details, how is this of any use to any marketeer?

Most of you provide this information and more when you post a message.

Mark Mueller, brass.ring@..., Amel 54 Brass Ring ..... it's all in your message for heavens sake !
Danny Simms, simms@..., SM299 Ocean Pearl
and so on.......

 We've had a lot of people think its a good idea to compile a registry and now it seems paranoia has risen to the surface.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

John Clanton

Alan,

My opinion is that it is not appropriate to scold those who have concerns about their privacy, nor to label them as paranoid.

I appreciate what you are working on, and was enthusiastic to complete the permission form to have my information on the roster, but after (level-headed and unemotional) thought, decided not to do so.

Please don’t diminish your enthusiasm for bringing the Amel community closer together, but also don’t demean those members who have personal preferences that are different than yours.  We have strong-willed and independent members of this forum, but have always kept a certain decorum in our conversations.

John Clanton

S/V Devereux

Amel 55, No. 65

Alan Leslie

I'm not scolding anyone...just trying to point out that I think the privacy issue is a non-event when the information is freely available in the posted messages.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437