Larger stove?

paul.cooper74@...

We would like to upgrade our original 2-burner ENO stove.  Our options include a newer nicer ENO but all ENOs appear to have the same dimensions, which allows 5.5 cm of unused space on either side of the unit.

So I am wondering if one could make more efficient use of that space and install a larger stove/oven?

Does anyone have or know of a brand/model that is larger than the ENO and still fit in the space, which is 605 mm wide?

Thanks,

Paul C.

SM2K#238 "MARACUYA"

Martinique

Ian Park

I replaced our 1994 Eno with a new one four years ago. It is nowhere near as well built as the original. Had several bits needed replacing within 6 months. They were very good about it but I guess they are competing in a mass market nowadays. We wish we had spent more now on a better cooker as it is the third most important item on the boat after sails and engine.

Ian & Linda
Ocean Hobo SN96

Arno Luijten

We just replaced the Eno on our A54 with an Force 10 4-burner. We had the same problem that the width of the cavity is about 60 cm and marine stoves seem to hover aroud the 50 cm wide mark. The Force 10 is 52, so I placed two filler pieces of wood left and right. The original stove was modified by Amel from the looks of it to have the gimbal points at the burner level instead of at the level of the top of the oven. I don’t know why they did that. I could not find a gimballed stove aroud 60 cm wide, Force10 has a wider one but that is about 70 cm wide.
I’ve looked for other stoves as well. There is GN-Espace, a UK brand, very nice, very expensive. Most other stuff I could find is pretty poor from build quality, even Force 10 is not what they used to be since they were bought by Eno (still better then Eno though). But at least they still carry the clever mechnism for the oven door and they are reasonally easy to clean.
In the end you pay crazy money for a stove that has much less build quality then a domestic stove. Things like self cleaning oven walls and so are completely unknown in sailboat stoves.

Good luck hunting for your new stove!

Arno Luijten
Luna,
A54-121

paul.cooper74@...

I appreciate the feedback.  I looked at the specs on the Dickinson marine (expensive!) and it was the same size.  The Force 10 stove has some nice features like a thermostat for the oven but it is only 1 cm wider and the oven capacity is just 1 L greater.  All in all i think the convenience of getting an  Eno, which can be purchased right here in Martinique relatively inexpensively and delivered to my boat is going to be the deciding factor.  i hope the quality has not decreased too much.

Paul C.
Maracuya

greatketch@...

Paul,

This is strictly a matter of personnel preference, and style with cooking and lifestyle, and I have to say up front I have never used an oven without a reliable thermostat, but I would never get an oven without one.

It is entirely possible that I am just spoiled...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Ian Park

Arno
Your thought process was the same as mine. I thought about the Force 10 too because I liked the counterbalanced door. And the one we really liked was the GN Espace. They are so well built. But we were replacing a number of major items at the time so bought the ENO to save money. We still regret not buying the GN Espace.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Arno Luijten

For those interested, I’ve added a picture of the Force 10 inside our Amel. on the left side you can see one of the pieces of wood used to match the width of the stove.
The funny thing is that the space between the burners is actually a bit bigger compared to the original Eno stove.

Arno
Luna,
A54-121