Topics

How to remove the Mainsail furling motor on a 54?

Porter McRoberts

Gentlemen and ladies,

May I please impose a question on you?

Because the mainsail is furling ever more slowly and in a “tired” fashion I want to remove the mainsail furling motor and examine it.

Today I tried, unsuccessfully, to do just that. I could not get the motor and housing out of the mast. There appeared to be no way of removing it. I removed all the mounting screws and dropped it down, but the motor and housing diameter appears larger than the exiting width of the mast. There must be a trick. Surely we don’t have to take down the mast to do this. Does anyone have any insight on how to do this? I can’t believe Amel would make this as easy and obvious as they have with everything else. I am most certainly just not thinking of it.

Pictures below.

Many thanks in advance,

Porter McRoberts
Amel 54-152 S/V IBIS. Panama

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

greatketch@...

Porter,

I haven't done this on a 54, but looking at the photos, I would bet if you remove the manual furling gearbox you can remove the electric one by lifting it up and out.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Porter;

I did replace our main furler motor back in 2015 with a new one due to the top seal failure and water penetration.

I do vaguely recall having a similar issue during removal, but I do not exactly recall the solution. One thing I can assure you of is that it will come out and mast removal is not required. I do recall that there were hard plastic spacers that filled the space between the mast profile and the furler motor. I believe that the motor has to be turned in to the proper orientation to the mast in order for it to slide out. I will look through my files and pictures to see if it will jog my memory. Unfortunately we are not on board.

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099