Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet cars

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Miles,

assuming your Maramu is same as the SM in this respect. I took the screws out of the stanchion base and pushed it sideways to allow the car to slide off. However it was a challenge to get one of the screws out. Others have cut the sides of a short section the track off to allow the car to come off. This method assumes you don't need the full length.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 January 2019 at 14:23 "smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Happy new year !
We recently arrived in Barbados after fast crossing from Cape Verde’s
The boat was great but I noticed a few things that I now need to address
The port Genoa sheet car is worn at the point the shackles attaches.

I think it’s an original mid 80s a goiot car. It has a stylised seagull shaped ensign.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for a vintage Maramu car and also how to remove / reinstall? I presume then come off the track fwd end. There is a stopper bolt head at the fwd end of the track so I presume I remove this and just slide the car off the track. Space for removal of the car looks really tight with a stanchion base though.
If anyone has replaced their sheet cars any info would be very much appreciated

All the very best

Miles

smiles bernard

Hi Danny
Sorry I somehow missed your reply on this till today.
Many thanks indeed for the info

on our Maramu it sounds similar to the SM - either the stanchion has to move somehow or the track!

It seems a little short sighted of Amel to not allow the Genoa cars off for replacement or repairs etc. A slightly shorter teach and a stopper bolt would have been ideal.

I’ve noticed a little wear on our port Genoa car and so I’d ideally like to replace both but this sounds like one of those big small jobs !

If anyone else has any experience of this also it’d be great to hear.

Many thanks again

Miles
Maramu 162

On 2 Jan 2019, at 14:45, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

christian alby <calbyy@...>

hello Miles
unfortunately easiest way seems to be removing screws from stanchion base & move it aside to allow car to slide out & back in once replaced (mine had a broken 'lifting-wheel' replaced by home made washer); Impact screwdriver became a permanent fixture in the tool-shed on our 1982 Maramu.
I did not date cut off the end of the track, neither tried my luck on the screws holding the tracks on deck. Shy ?
Best of hammering

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet en Roussillon

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎3‎ ‎février‎ ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎44‎:‎36‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

[...]

Danny Simms

Hi Miles, No problem. I would try the screws first, if they come out it is a very simple solution. If they wont come out try the other option. I would wait until needed because worn still functions and if they come out it isn't an emergency.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 13:44, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi there Christian

Many thanks for this.
It took me a while to understand what both you and Danny were explaining so clearly - push the stanchion towards the middle of the boat. Makes total sense but for a while I was thinking fwd or aft as it’s he first boat I’ve had with sensibly mounted stanchions on the side of the toe rail.
I’ll have a go!
Sadly my drill has just packed up so sounds like I’ll be needing a new impact driver  before I start this project. The metal on one of the cars that holds the (shackle and block )has worn a little so I might need to invest in new cars.

The “lifting wheels” on my mizzen sheet track have broken so I’d be interested in your  washer fix. I’ve had the cars off (nice and easy on the mizzen traveller at least!) but I couldn’t figure out how to release the lifting pin that the ‘lifting wheel’ is attached to. Is there a trick?

Many thanks for your help

Miles

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎3‎ ‎février‎ ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎44‎:‎36‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :

[...]

Alan Leslie

We have an issue with one of the genoa cars on Elyse. It would appear to have lost some bits underneath.
Can someone identify for me exactly what car it is Make / Model on an SM2000?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

Alan,

The Genoa cars on our SM were made by Antel.

I assume when you talk about “parts missing underneath”, you are referring to the plastic slide bearings that separate the metal parts of the car from the track.

We source them this past summer from Annapolis Performance Sailing, an Antel dealer. It took a lot of back and forth between Antel USA and Italy before they were sure of the part number, but these were still in stock. They are not, however in the standard catalog.

We received part number ATLG3040A with was a pair of “Antel Car Track Slider Inserts”. Cost less than $20 for a pair. The unusual dimension for these is the length. The cars made for Amel are about 1/3 longer than the standard models. The other dimensions are standard.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Black Point Settlement, Exumas, Bahamas

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bill
Excellent !
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bill,
I now have a couple of sets of the sliders.
how did you go about replacing them ?
Did you need to take the car off the track?
If so, how did you go about that?
There's been some talk about grinding off the T on the track but I'd rather not go down that road if possible.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mike Ondra

Hello Alan,

We replaced the cars on Aletes last year. Methodology was to disconnect the stanchion at the forward end of the track and push it aside sufficiently to slide the car off the track. The challenge was getting the screws that secure the stanchion to the toe rail out as they were seized. See attached detail drawing indicating these machine screws are threaded into a steel backer plate. We could not turn out the screws and didn’t have an impact wrench/driver. Wound up drilling them out with cobalt drill bits, starting small and stepping up sizes until the stanchion was free. To reassemble we drilled out and tapped for a slightly larger machine screw.

One way to skin this cat.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM #240

St. Augustine, FL

I now have a couple of sets of the sliders.
how did you go about replacing them ?
Did you need to take the car off the track?
If so, how did you go about that?
There's been some talk about grinding off the T on the track but I'd rather not go down that road if possible.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan "Woody" Wood

Hi Danny

We had a double whammy in that there was gel coat cracking under the track where (we think) the backing plate had expanded AND the car inserts had disintegrated and needed replacing. We did it as part of a fit out in Tunisia.. even with an impact driver we still couldn't get the whole track off but managed to free the track enough to slide the cars off.
Heres the link to the video, time stamped at the track repair.. hope it helps
https://youtu.be/6nHe3zU--rU?t=511

Woody
SM189

Alan Leslie

Thanks Mike,

You would have to remove the pulley block at the fwd end of the track also. What is it that holds that on ? Is it the eye bolt in the pulley axle ?

Thanks for your advice,

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

eric freedman

Hi Woody,

Where did you get the plastic plugs for the track. Amel did not have any.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

We had a double whammy in that there was gel coat cracking under the track where (we think) the backing plate had expanded AND the car inserts had disintegrated and needed replacing. We did it as part of a fit out in Tunisia.. even with an impact driver we still couldn't get the whole track off but managed to free the track enough to slide the cars off.
Heres the link to the video, time stamped at the track repair.. hope it helps
https://youtu.be/6nHe3zU--rU?t=511

Woody
SM189

eric freedman

I forgot to thank you for a very good video.

Thank You,