Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet cars

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Miles,

assuming your Maramu is same as the SM in this respect. I took the screws out of the stanchion base and pushed it sideways to allow the car to slide off. However it was a challenge to get one of the screws out. Others have cut the sides of a short section the track off to allow the car to come off. This method assumes you don't need the full length.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 January 2019 at 14:23 "smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Happy new year !
We recently arrived in Barbados after fast crossing from Cape Verde’s
The boat was great but I noticed a few things that I now need to address
The port Genoa sheet car is worn at the point the shackles attaches.

I think it’s an original mid 80s a goiot car. It has a stylised seagull shaped ensign.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for a vintage Maramu car and also how to remove / reinstall? I presume then come off the track fwd end. There is a stopper bolt head at the fwd end of the track so I presume I remove this and just slide the car off the track. Space for removal of the car looks really tight with a stanchion base though.
If anyone has replaced their sheet cars any info would be very much appreciated

All the very best

Miles

smiles bernard

Hi Danny
Sorry I somehow missed your reply on this till today. 
Many thanks indeed for the info 

on our Maramu it sounds similar to the SM - either the stanchion has to move somehow or the track!

It seems a little short sighted of Amel to not allow the Genoa cars off for replacement or repairs etc. A slightly shorter teach and a stopper bolt would have been ideal. 

I’ve noticed a little wear on our port Genoa car and so I’d ideally like to replace both but this sounds like one of those big small jobs !

If anyone else has any experience of this also it’d be great to hear. 

Many thanks again

Miles 
Maramu 162

On 2 Jan 2019, at 14:45, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Miles,

assuming your Maramu is same as the SM in this respect. I took the screws out of the stanchion base and pushed it sideways to allow the car to slide off. However it was a challenge to get one of the screws out. Others have cut the sides of a short section the track off to allow the car to come off. This method assumes you don't need the full length.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 02 January 2019 at 14:23 "smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Happy new year !

I think it’s an original mid 80s a goiot car. It has a stylised seagull shaped ensign.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for a vintage Maramu car and also how to remove / reinstall? I presume then come off the track fwd end. There is a stopper bolt head at the fwd end of the track so I presume I remove this and just slide the car off the track. Space for removal of the car looks really tight with a stanchion base though.

All the very best

Miles

christian alby <calbyy@...>

hello Miles
unfortunately easiest way seems to be removing screws from stanchion base & move it aside to allow car to slide out & back in once replaced (mine had a broken 'lifting-wheel' replaced by home made washer); Impact screwdriver became a permanent fixture in the tool-shed on our 1982 Maramu.
I did not date cut off the end of the track, neither tried my luck on the screws holding the tracks on deck. Shy ?
Best of hammering

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet en Roussillon

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎3‎ ‎février‎ ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎44‎:‎36‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] a écrit :

Hi Danny

on our Maramu it sounds similar to the SM - either the stanchion has to move somehow or the track!

It seems a little short sighted of Amel to not allow the Genoa cars off for replacement or repairs etc. A slightly shorter teach and a stopper bolt would have been ideal. 

I’ve noticed a little wear on our port Genoa car and so I’d ideally like to replace both but this sounds like one of those big small jobs !

Many thanks again

Miles 
Maramu 162

On 2 Jan 2019, at 14:45, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Miles,

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Happy new year !

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for a vintage Maramu car and also how to remove / reinstall? I presume then come off the track fwd end. There is a stopper bolt head at the fwd end of the track so I presume I remove this and just slide the car off the track.. Space for removal of the car looks really tight with a stanchion base though.

All the very best

Miles

Danny Simms

Hi Miles, No problem. I would try the screws first, if they come out it is a very simple solution. If they wont come out try the other option. I would wait until needed because worn still functions and if they come out it isn't an emergency.
Regards
Danny
SM 299
Ocean Pearl

On Sun, 3 Feb 2019 at 13:44, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Danny

Many thanks again

Miles 
Maramu 162

Hi Miles,

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Happy new year !

Does anyone know a suitable replacement for a vintage Maramu car and also how to remove / reinstall? I presume then come off the track fwd end. There is a stopper bolt head at the fwd end of the track so I presume I remove this and just slide the car off the track.. Space for removal of the car looks really tight with a stanchion base though.

All the very best

Miles

smiles bernard

Hi there Christian

Many thanks for this. 
It took me a while to understand what both you and Danny were explaining so clearly - push the stanchion towards the middle of the boat. Makes total sense but for a while I was thinking fwd or aft as it’s he first boat I’ve had with sensibly mounted stanchions on the side of the toe rail. 
I’ll have a go!
Sadly my drill has just packed up so sounds like I’ll be needing a new impact driver  before I start this project. The metal on one of the cars that holds the (shackle and block )has worn a little so I might need to invest in new cars.

The “lifting wheels” on my mizzen sheet track have broken so I’d be interested in your  washer fix. I’ve had the cars off (nice and easy on the mizzen traveller at least!) but I couldn’t figure out how to release the lifting pin that the ‘lifting wheel’ is attached to. Is there a trick?

Many thanks for your help

Miles

On 3 Feb 2019, at 06:28, christian alby calbyy@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

hello Miles
unfortunately easiest way seems to be removing screws from stanchion base & move it aside to allow car to slide out & back in once replaced (mine had a broken 'lifting-wheel' replaced by home made washer); Impact screwdriver became a permanent fixture in the tool-shed on our 1982 Maramu.
I did not date cut off the end of the track, neither tried my luck on the screws holding the tracks on deck. Shy ?
Best of hammering

christian alby - Désirade VIII - Maramu 116 - now in Canet en Roussillon

Christian Alby - France home fixe +33 (0)5 34 39 06 02 home Internet +33 (0)9 60 37 22 72 mobile +33 (0)6 42 69 07 80

Le ‎dimanche‎ ‎3‎ ‎février‎ ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎44‎:‎36‎ ‎CET, smiles bernard smilesbernard@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> a écrit :

Hi Danny

Many thanks again

Miles 
Maramu 162

Hi Miles,

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Happy new year !

All the very best

Miles

Alan Leslie

We have an issue with one of the genoa cars on Elyse. It would appear to have lost some bits underneath.
Can someone identify for me exactly what car it is Make / Model on an SM2000?

Thanks for any advice

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 

greatketch@...

Alan,

The Genoa cars on our SM were made by Antel.

I assume when you talk about “parts missing underneath”, you are referring to the plastic slide bearings that separate the metal parts of the car from the track.

We source them this past summer from Annapolis Performance Sailing, an Antel dealer. It took a lot of back and forth between Antel USA and Italy before they were sure of the part number, but these were still in stock. They are not, however in the standard catalog.

We received part number ATLG3040A with was a pair of “Antel Car Track Slider Inserts”. Cost less than $20 for a pair. The unusual dimension for these is the length. The cars made for Amel are about 1/3 longer than the standard models. The other dimensions are standard.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Black Point Settlement, Exumas, Bahamas

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bill
Excellent !
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

Thanks Bill,
I now have a couple of sets of the sliders.
how did you go about replacing them ?
Did you need to take the car off the track?
If so, how did you go about that?
There's been some talk about grinding off the T on the track but I'd rather not go down that road if possible.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mike Ondra

Hello Alan,

We replaced the cars on Aletes last year. Methodology was to disconnect the stanchion at the forward end of the track and push it aside sufficiently to slide the car off the track. The challenge was getting the screws that secure the stanchion to the toe rail out as they were seized. See attached detail drawing indicating these machine screws are threaded into a steel backer plate. We could not turn out the screws and didn’t have an impact wrench/driver. Wound up drilling them out with cobalt drill bits, starting small and stepping up sizes until the stanchion was free. To reassemble we drilled out and tapped for a slightly larger machine screw.

One way to skin this cat.

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM #240

St. Augustine, FL

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of divanz620 via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 1:32 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Genoa sheet cars

Thanks Bill,
I now have a couple of sets of the sliders.
how did you go about replacing them ?
Did you need to take the car off the track?
If so, how did you go about that?
There's been some talk about grinding off the T on the track but I'd rather not go down that road if possible.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan "Woody" Wood

Hi Danny

We had a double whammy in that there was gel coat cracking under the track where (we think) the backing plate had expanded AND the car inserts had disintegrated and needed replacing. We did it as part of a fit out in Tunisia.. even with an impact driver we still couldn't get the whole track off but managed to free the track enough to slide the cars off.
Heres the link to the video, time stamped at the track repair.. hope it helps
https://youtu.be/6nHe3zU--rU?t=511

Woody
SM189

Alan Leslie

Thanks Mike,

You would have to remove the pulley block at the fwd end of the track also. What is it that holds that on ? Is it the eye bolt in the pulley axle ?

Thanks for your advice,

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

eric freedman

Hi Woody,

Where did you get the plastic plugs for the track. Amel did not have any.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan "Woody" Wood
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 9:59 AM

Hi Danny

We had a double whammy in that there was gel coat cracking under the track where (we think) the backing plate had expanded AND the car inserts had disintegrated and needed replacing. We did it as part of a fit out in Tunisia.. even with an impact driver we still couldn't get the whole track off but managed to free the track enough to slide the cars off.

Woody
SM189

eric freedman

I forgot to thank you for a very good video.

Thank You,

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:58 PM

Hi Woody,

Where did you get the plastic plugs for the track. Amel did not have any.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alan "Woody" Wood
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 9:59 AM

Hi Danny

Woody
SM189

Alan Leslie

So,in view of no comment on this issue, I assume that it is possible to remove the block at the FWD end of the genoa track to allow the car to be removed.
I can barely turn the eye bolt that goes through the axis of the the pulley block.
Could one of you at least confirm that is how it is removed...is there a nut under the gunwale, or does it screw into a steel plate ....or.....
AND what about the aft bolt on that block ....what's that connected to .... if anything ??
Thanks for advice
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Allan, yes that eye bolt comes out. I approached it with trepidation but it came free quite easily. Take care it doesnt wring off. This still doesnt give enough room to get the car off. I removed the screws from the staunchon base and pushed it sideways. Some others have cut the sides off the track to get it off.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 24 March 2019 at 00:20 Alan Leslie <s.v.elyse@...> wrote:

So,in view of no comment on this issue, I assume that it is possible to remove the block at the FWD end of the genoa track to allow the car to be removed.
I can barely turn the eye bolt that goes through the axis of the the pulley block.
Could one of you at least confirm that is how it is removed...is there a nut under the gunwale, or does it screw into a steel plate ....or.....
AND what about the aft bolt on that block ....what's that connected to .... if anything ??
Thanks for advice
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi again Alan,

I see I only answered one question. I believe it goes into an embedded plate. The other nut, I forget (i'm not on board) but it was not an issue.

Regards

Danny 

Thanks for advice
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

Mike Ondra

Hi Allan

Attached is a cross section of the rub rail showing genoa track machine screwed to mild steel backer plate that has given some rust problems to some Amelians. On Aletes, age 15 or so, turning off the eye bolt at the forward end of the track to replace the genoa car resulted in shearing off the bolt. We had to drill it out (cobalt drill bit) and re-tap the hole for a new bolt.  We also had to move the stanchion out of the way as Danny relates. Good luck!

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2019 1:31 PM

Hi Allan, yes that eye bolt comes out. I approached it with trepidation but it came free quite easily. Take care it doesnt wring off. This still doesnt give enough room to get the car off. I removed the screws from the staunchon base and pushed it sideways. Some others have cut the sides off the track to get it off.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Thanks for advice
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

Craig Briggs

Hi Alan,
On our SN the eye bolt has a nut and washer on the end. It was difficult to find as it was buried under some hull lining which we had to cut open. We discovered it because the eye bolt just kept turning and not coming out - we were able to get a socket on it after cutting the lining open.
Craig SN68 Sangaris

Alan Leslie

Thanks everyone, I think I’ve got it now !

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437