Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] march pump

Eric,

It's a long answer, and we all have learned more since my last response. If you want the short answer, it is yes, but....

Long Answer:
The basic rule of thumb is 1 gallon per minute (GPM) is required for every 4,000 Btu’s of capacity. So, 9,000 * 3 = 27,000/4,000= 6.75gal/min * 3.785=25.55liters/min * 60 = 1,532 liters/hour OR, 6,75GPM * 60 = 405GPH. The March AC5-C-MD is rated at 1000 hal/hr (GPH), which is more than twice what it should be rated at. However, as you know, when all 3 ACs are running, the salon gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer. And the fore AC gets its required saltwater from the output of the aft AC and the salon AC, which has been heated because of heat transfer. I really do not know how to take all of that "pre-heated" water into account.

All of that said, the Calpeda pump is rated at 4.8 sq meters an hour or 1268GPH. So the  March AC5-C-MD  pumps about 25% less water than the Calpeda, but substantially more than the rule of thumb requirement from above of 405GPH. Coastal Climate Control recommends the March TE 5.5C-MD-AC, which is rated at 1500 GPH, and 50/60hz. Mark on CREAM PUFF installed this pump and is satisfied with its performance. I think the safe thing to do is use The March TE 5.5C-MD-AC

I hope this helps you and others with this decision.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM 'Kimberlite' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

Do you still recommend this pump?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

And, if you want a real deal on a 230 volt March pump, check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/March-pump-AC-5C-MD-230v-1ph-1-8hp-3090rpm-NOS-free-shipping-/251866184098

I have one of these as a spare. I t hink it also might work for the Dessalator 160 liter low pressure pump.

Bill Rouse
BeBe Amel 53 #387
sent from my tablet

eric freedman

Hi Bill,

I was wondering why the WC (water cooled) units are not recommended?

I did not like the look of the open frame AC (air cooled)  units.

[...]

I am not sure what you are referring to. Are you referring to the AC saltwater pump motor? If so, the March Magnetic Drive pump motor is isolated from the saltwater with a magnet. Thus, there is virtually no heat transfer from pump to motor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970
My calendar:
https://theamelschool.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 12:58 'Kimberlite' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

[...]

Yes, I do not like the AC because it will rust when exposed to saltwater. I find it interesting that the AC model was used and specified by Cruisaire.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:15 PM eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Bill,
The march pump starting with AC is an open body pump and is not intended for wet environments according to the manufacturer.  I bought the AC-MD-5
and It rusted in a dry locker..
I called March today . They said I should have used the Lc-md-5 it is water cooled and submersible.
I took a look at it --looks like a better choice. same hookup just water cooled.
Fair Winds,
EriSM 376 Kimberlite

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 03:24 PM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Eric,

I am not sure what you are referring to. Are you referring to the AC saltwater pump motor? If so, the March Magnetic Drive pump motor is isolated from the saltwater with a magnet. Thus, there is virtually no heat transfer from pump to motor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970
My calendar:
https://theamelschool.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019, 12:58 'Kimberlite' kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hi Bill,

I was wondering why the WC (water cooled) units are not recommended? i Think it was an AC-md05

I did not like the look of the open frame AC air cooled  ( I bought one and just sitting around in a dry locker ir became cooled)  units.

[...]

Porter McRoberts

Now that’s a “pearl!!”
Porter
54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jan 11, 2019, at 10:40 AM, Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark & Debbie Mueller

Hi Eric,

I was curious and looked at the March info.  I believe the 'AC' designation refers to an open style motor that should not be exposed to the possibility of water getting on the motor.  The 'CP' designator is an open drip proof motor that would tolerate exposure to some drippage (?) from above.  They also have TEFC motors available for some direct exposure to water.  However, I think all these motors except the 'LC' submersible variety are standard carbon steel motor housings with some form of a painted finish that apparently does not tolerate a salt air or humid environment i.e. they all will show surface rust at some time.  Good luck with your preventative maintenance project.

Mark Mueller
Brass Ring A54