Topics

Heat Exchanger -- Volvo MD22 - Perkins Prima M50

Herbert Lackner

one of the end caps of the heat exchanger failed, so I had to replace it.  I took the chance to examine and clean the complete system.  I had all spare parts and the engine-repair-manual, so no problem.   but then I found the following in the workshop repair manual (page 110):

If a rubber sleeve is used, lubricate it with a little soap solution. Place the sleeve end of the assembly in the housing and carefully insert the sleeve in the hole in the baffle plate Carefully press the pipe ends of the housing until the journal in the housing is correctly positioned inside the end cover. Do not pull the pipe cluster backwards during installation, as this pulls the sleeve out of the baffle plate. Check through the filler opening that the sleeve is positioned correctly in the baffle plate (B)....

But on the inlet of my heat exchanger there was no sleeve installed (I assume that the sleeve will be installed on the baffle plate to make sure that all the cooling liquid gets pumped through the inlet and there is no other way outside the inlet, makeing cooling efficieny better). I have a sleeve as a spare part, but do not know if it shall be installed or not.  Does anyone know if the rubber sleeve has to be installed at the baffle plate?  I am not sure how to understand the wording in the repair manual:

* if a rubber sleeve is used...     does that mean that the installation of the sleeve is optional - or does it mean that it might be another material, not rubber?

without installing the sleeve I would have the same heat exchanger configuration as before. But that might be wrong, with less cooling efficieny...

thx,

herbert
KALI MERA, SN120, Shelter Bay D11

Craig Briggs

Hi Herb,
This is probably the answer; from the Parts 4 Engines website:
Heat exchanger rubber tube stack seal for Perkins Prima M50, fits between the tube stack and the outer casting.  Please note Perkins produced two different diameter tube stacks for use with this engine range.  This seal is compatible with the 54mm ∅ tube stack."
On my 1992 engine I don't have that.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris, Ft Pierce, Fl

---In amelyachtowners@..., <herbert@...> wrote :

[...]

Hi Craig,

if you do not have a sleeve installed then the tube goes through the baffle plate with some space (~1-2  mm) left between the plate and the tube. that means that not all the cooling liquid will run through the heat exchanger, some will circulate just through the space between the tube and the plate. right?

Has anyone installed the sleeve? I was not installed on mine, but it seems to me that it should be installed...  I have a sleeve in my spare parts, just do not know if I make anything better or worse if I install it according to the manual

thx, herbert

Thomas Peacock

Unfortunately, not all TMD-22 engines were created equally. There are many flavors. One of the differences between the flavors is the heat exchanger. You may not be able to reliably extrapolate from one boat to another. I wish I could be more specific.

Tom Peacock
Aletes SM 240
St Augustine, Florida

Ian Park

Herbert
I bought new end caps from Parts4 Engines. I asked Didier in Le Marin to clean the stack and replace the end caps. On re assembly we found the stack diameter of the new end caps was too small. So we had to put the old ones back. Parts 4 engines said they only stock that size.
There was no separate tube. Just the end cap and a push fit inner part.
Any more info on this would be useful.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96

Herbert Lackner

solved:  After some "sleeve" research I am now sure that the sleeve has to be installed following the workshop manual.  I is a little bit tricky to get it to the right place it but in the end all seems to work fine. all parts fit together perfect, and also it makes sense to me to have it installed.   I assume that a "mechanic" decided not to install it during last cleaning procedure to get it done faster ...

after disassembling / reassembling the heat exchanger three times I got some expertise with that :-)

@Bill Rouse - it is for the Volvo and not for the Onan. I attached a picture that shows the sleeve on the tube.

thx for your responses,

herbert

Craig Briggs

On mine it is a snug fit - probably less than 1-2 mm. Can you measure your core to see if it is 54mm? That should tell you which model you have.
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <herbert@...> wrote :

Hi Craig,

if you do not have a sleeve installed then the tube goes through the baffle plate with some space (~1-2  mm) left between the plate and the tube. that means that not all the cooling liquid will run through the heat exchanger, some will circulate just through the space between the tube and the plate. right?

Has anyone installed the sleeve? I was not installed on mine, but it seems to me that it should be installed...  I have a sleeve in my spare parts, just do not know if I make anything better or worse if I install it according to the manual

thx, herbert

Herbert Lackner

@Craig, it is 54mm, the sleeve is about 1-2 mm (already installed, cannot measure it). it gives an exact fit of the tube and the baffle plate.

@Ian: we used this, fit perfect. we have an 1995 MD22A-L (made by Perkins)

1 hour Testrun was ok, difference to before: the coolant tank (our step into the engine room) is not getting as hot as before, cooling system seems to work more efficient.

herbert

Craig Briggs

Good outcome, Herbert, glad to hear it.
Craig