A54 : can I switch from butane to propane? + advise how to sail to Taiwan?

sv.estran@...

Hello,

We left France on Sept 1st and we're now in Panama.

I have two question for you - thank you in advance for your help :

1/ COOKING GAS.

The boat (Amel 54) was bought in France. We always used the blue 2.75kg bottles (i.e BUTANE).

Here in Panama they don't sell BUTANE but Tropigas or Panagas, which is a variable mixture of propane and butane.

Has anyone used one of these mixtures? Does it affects the burners (or anything else)? Do you advise Tropigas or Panagas?

By extension I am also wondering if I could use PROPANE gas or do I have to adapt anything beforehand?

2/ ITINARY

We're currently in Panama and in one year's time I would like to be in TAIWAN.

Has anyone sailed there yet?

What itinary would you advise (starting from Panama)?

I'm sailing with kids so I'm very reluctant to sail in notorious 'dangerous' areas. I prefer to make a detour than to take the risk of meeting with pirates.

My preference is of course to passe via French Polynesia, but thereafter??

Thank you dear AMEL fellows for your help!

Oscar

SV ESTRAN - A54 hull n°4

Alan Leslie

Hello Oscar,

Our SM was sailed from France through the Pacific with the original blue bottles which were not refillable in New Zealand.
We ditched the blue bottles and bought bottles that are more standard for the South Pacific. In some places we get Butane in others Propane. The Stove is designed for butane but works fine with propane....the oven doesn't get as hot with propane compared with butane, but otherwise no problems.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437