Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Masse - and Masse + lights

It would work...If you are going to go to the trouble of installing a switch, install a double pole switch and turn off both positive and negative. As you know there is better than a 95% chance the offending item is one of the macerator pumps. I am guessing that you might get a 2-6 months more  life.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 6:36 PM derickgates@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I have been diligently checking the Masse- and + lights in the companionway. Over the past 5 years when one of the lights go on (usually the Masse - ) I go and disconnect the power lines to the forward or aft head and sure enough, the leak of current to ground stops and I replace that Jabsco pump. Recently the Masse light did not go out until I had unplugged both the heads at the same time, indicating to me that both the head pumps were leaking to ground.

It occurs to me that instead of replacing the pump, I could just install a toggle switch to the offending brown or blue wire, so that I can turn the circuit on when anyone uses the head, and turn it off in th interim. Then I could continue to use the offending pump until it does a natural death.

Am I fooling myself or would installing that switch stop the current leakage to the Amel bonding system?

Derick Gates
SM2K #400 Brava

Patrick McAneny

Bill, As you may know I have had my zincs disappearing faster than they should and was hoping to have Amel look into it while in LeMarine. It sounds like from what you said,it’s often the electric heads. Is current finding its way from the motor into the salt water supply hose and into the sea? Would that be only when power is supplied to the motor via the switch? Or is there negative leak that is constant?
Thanks
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

The issue with the electric heads causing a MAS check fault is almost always the result of a leaking seal on the Jabsco "Not so Quiet" macerator pump. Seawater migrates through the seal to inside the motor causing an electric connection between either 24VDC positive or negative and the bonding wire which is connected to the motor case. This connection caused by a leak can be erratic or constant. You know that you have a macerator seal failure when you see a slight trikle of water at the base of the toilet. You might want to talk to Christophe Delhaye at Caraibes Electronic at le Marin.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus