Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark, as I said, I may have the wrong end of the stick, it appears I did.

Kind Regards

Danny

On 29 January 2019 at 09:45 "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny,

I am not suggesting any funny business. i.e. When Bill Rouse owned BeBe he was able to get an underwriter in the EU because the vessel was registered in the USVI. The same insurance company said they could not write in the USA. We have addresses in the USA, UK and Panama. We do not live at any of them. Ownership nationality has little to do with the policy. We are always very clear to explain in writing to the insurance company we reside on the vessel and the address given is for mailing purposes only. We have had one insurance company accept the marina as our address without issue. This is common practice for people residing on boats. And, the insurance company expects for the vessel to move within the limits of the policy.

In working with the independent Novamar agent, he was able to get Novamar to wave any requirements for a survey or rig inspection. This is NOT concealing anything. It is called negotiating the policy.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 2:36 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance

Hi Mark,

all insurance policies I have seen require nothing to be concealed or information withheld on pain of cancellation. I may have the wrong end of the stick but it seems ownership nationality and something to do with the rig may be concealed in what you are suggesting.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 03:39 "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Craig,

We were able to get a quote from Y-Yacht because we are BVI flagged and our vessel is corporate owned in the BVI. I also believe they will underwrite a vessel in the USVI with a USVI address. Eric from Kimberlite has a contact who can do the address piece. The change of port is one piece of paper filed with USCG documentation.

I also have a really good independent broker who writes policies for Novamar USA, an “A” rated company with a lot of recommendations from members of the OCC. The price is the same as going to Novamar directly. However, he has a direct line to the underwriters and can help work around some issues such as survey or age of rigger etc. I am reluctant to post his contact info publically. Let me know if you’d like it.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Insurance

I just heard back from Y Yacht Insurance - they cannot cover US yachts at this time, but are making enquires and hope to be able to do so next year.

Craig Briggs SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <sangaris@...> wrote :

PS:  MS and AD Insurance Group Holdings is a Japanese company which you can google for more info.

All,

Suggest you read further, if interested, at yyachtinsurance dot com, which states Barry Sullivan, who happens to own a Maramu, started Pantaenius UK, did business as Shearlangstone, Ltd. , became Y Yacht Insurance in 2011. Now set up Y Yacht Assurances France for post-Brexit operation. The actual insurance and underwriting is through MS Amlin, part of MS and AD (haven't researched them) and Y Yacht Insurance is a trading name of Y at-sign Limited, an English company.

FWIW,

Craig Briggs, SN68 - I did ask for a quote and will let you know what I hear. 

---In amelyachtowners@..., <gmshea@...> wrote :

Hi all,

My info is that Barrie Sullivan of Y used to be the GM of Pantaenius UK but "retired" and started Y

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Yes, Mark & Danny. In fact the insurance company was given a copy of the US Coast Guard Documentation which clearly listed our home address in Texas and our Hailing Port (homeport) as St Thomas.

The insurance company explained it to me this way: US waters are the most expensive for insurance companies because of the high rate of lawsuits in US Courts and the high rate of damages awarded. Somehow insurance companies place important value on homeport. I was able to buy French insurance with a "homeport" of St. Thomas West Indies (which is a US Territory) and a US registered vessel with a US address. It was the exception to the rule for that insurance company. BTW, that company is no longer in business.

Best,

Bill Rouse
Amel School  
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 3:46 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Danny,

I am not suggesting any funny business. i.e. When Bill Rouse owned BeBe he was able to get an underwriter in the EU because the vessel was registered in the USVI. The same insurance company said they could not write in the USA. We have addresses in the USA, UK and Panama. We do not live at any of them. Ownership nationality has little to do with the policy. We are always very clear to explain in writing to the insurance company we reside on the vessel and the address given is for mailing purposes only. We have had one insurance company accept the marina as our address without issue. This is common practice for people residing on boats. And, the insurance company expects for the vessel to move within the limits of the policy.

In working with the independent Novamar agent, he was able to get Novamar to wave any requirements for a survey or rig inspection. This is NOT concealing anything. It is called negotiating the policy.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Hi Mark,

all insurance policies I have seen require nothing to be concealed or information withheld on pain of cancellation. I may have the wrong end of the stick but it seems ownership nationality and something to do with the rig may be concealed in what you are suggesting.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 03:39 "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Craig,

We were able to get a quote from Y-Yacht because we are BVI flagged and our vessel is corporate owned in the BVI. I also believe they will underwrite a vessel in the USVI with a USVI address. Eric from Kimberlite has a contact who can do the address piece. The change of port is one piece of paper filed with USCG documentation.

I also have a really good independent broker who writes policies for Novamar USA, an “A” rated company with a lot of recommendations from members of the OCC. The price is the same as going to Novamar directly. However, he has a direct line to the underwriters and can help work around some issues such as survey or age of rigger etc. I am reluctant to post his contact info publically. Let me know if you’d like it.

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

I just heard back from Y Yacht Insurance - they cannot cover US yachts at this time, but are making enquires and hope to be able to do so next year.

Craig Briggs SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

PS:  MS and AD Insurance Group Holdings is a Japanese company which you can google for more info.

All,

Suggest you read further, if interested, at yyachtinsurance dot com, which states Barry Sullivan, who happens to own a Maramu, started Pantaenius UK, did business as Shearlangstone, Ltd. , became Y Yacht Insurance in 2011. Now set up Y Yacht Assurances France for post-Brexit operation. The actual insurance and underwriting is through MS Amlin, part of MS and AD (haven't researched them) and Y Yacht Insurance is a trading name of Y at-sign Limited, an English company.

FWIW,

Hi all,

My info is that Barrie Sullivan of Y used to be the GM of Pantaenius UK but "retired" and started Y

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

JOHN HAYES

Happy new year one and all

Anyone out there replaced the original furler motors in past and head sail on a Santorini and if so be really great full to learn the name and spec of replacement units

Best 

John Hayes 
NGA Waka
SN 41

New Zealand

On 29/01/2019, at 7:35 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS simms@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Craig,

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Mark Erdos

Danny,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Hi Mark,

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 03:39 "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Craig,

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark,

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Craig,

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Thanks, Mark, much appreciated. My Pantaenius comes up in April and is only $2200 for east coast US and Bahamas, so we'll likely renew if it doesn't change much. Next year perhaps I'll change, so would appreciate the contact. My email is sangaris at aol dot com.
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <mcerdos@...> wrote :

Craig,

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Mark Erdos

Craig,

Hope this helps.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea

Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

Preveza

Craig Briggs SN68

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

i believe that's correct, Bill, just like Jackline, Gowrie and Pantaenius US, if I'm not mistaken. (Although Pantaneius may be closer to the parent.) My understanding, from Al Golden, who started Jackline (IMIS) is that an entrepreneurial broker, who can develop a strong market, can develop their own "brand" product and enter into an exclusive agreement with a major carrier (underwriter/insurer) to offer a product under the broker's product name. The actual insurer is always disclosed (under a few layers of marketing) in the actual policy that is issued. Probably a good scheme for narrow specialty markets like cruising yachts, where brokers like Al Golden and Barry Sullivan are really more knowledgeable than the parent giant insurers.
Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :

Oh, so Y Yacht Insurance is just an insurance brokerage.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2019 8:15 AM

Colin,
I'm just catching the end of the thread on insurance, and after reading Mark's email, it seemed that, being a currently covered by Pantaneous, I better start looking into different coverage (my policy renews 10/1).
I goggled y yacht insurance and was directed to Pure. I had received an unsolicitated mailing from Pure not that long ago, and sent the flier into my circular file.
Is y yacht some kind of branch of Pure, or am I on the wrong road here? There are a number of brokers near by my home in NY that are brokers listed for Pure. None of them are yacht brokers. 
Due to my stem fitting issue, and some current electronics upgrades, I put my plan to slide thru the canal and head west off till next year, but the insurance coverage will need to be resolved before that. 
From Mark's comment, it appears that Pantaneous will be prohibitally expensive. 
I'm more concerned about liability coverage for all my vessels (5), and I don't care about the bells and whistles, so from your description, a y yacht policy may be a good way for me to go.
Thanks,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 03:46 PM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi Mark

Yes, Y Yacht. Their CEO (Barry?) still owns an Amel Maramu and has been talking with Amel HQ about bringing out a policy / product specially designed for Amel yacht owners. Nice bloke, who left us with a very positive impression in many ways concluding a nice personal welcome note as an Amel owner after we joined.

In our case Top Sail had just doubled their quotation on our coverage for Indian Ocean high risk areas, and this was just two weeks before our Velos policy expired, blaming it on the last hurricane season, and informing us that 5 other insurers went out of business that year and hence they were increasing all new policy quotes substantially.

We were in the process of changing to Topsail, but refuse to be ripped off like that in the 11th hour when they clearly assumed we had no time left to change companies and would just have to pay. Topsail will never be considered by us again.

Y Yacht policy certainly had less bells and whistles extra benefits than Panteanius and Velos attached to their policy, but this means big savings and we felt all the basics were well covered.

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
SV Island Pearl II, SM #332
Prickly Bay

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 6:55 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

Interesting about insurance. I have spent the past couple of months shopping for insurance to get us through the Panama canal and across the S. Pacific. I have it narrowed down to Y-Yacht (UK), Novamar (USA) and Top Sail (UK) – We currently have Pantaenius and it is going to be cost prohibitive for us to continue with them. If we decide to stay in the Caribbean, the Pantaenius requirements a virtually impossible to adhere to. Either way we need to change.

When you say “Y Insurance” do you mean Y-Yacht?

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 6:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Possible late Spring Amel Caribbean Rally

Awesome advice, thanks Mark.

We have been off-line for so long on this last 5700nm crossing from Cape Town  so had not yet got time to research the ABC's. 

We joined Y Insurance this year who have incredibly good rates compared to Panteanius & Velos, and also include "in water" hurricane cover in the ABC's only hence our decision to go there.

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Ps...All who meet us....Please don't disown or mock us when you see our "off-pink" boat stripe and rub rail!!  We remain good Amelians... and promise to fix it at the next haulout...... the painter in Durban got the  "Amel 54 Dessert Sand"  colour we love completely wrong .....just when a weather window opened up to bolt around to Cape Town..... So we decided to take the weather gap and fix the colour at next haulout.

On 22 Jan.. 2019 16:27, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin,

Also consider an extended stay in Aruba during hurricane season. Curacao, not so much. You will love the diving and snorkeling in Bonaire, it is really first rate. If you opt to go to Aruba, the Renaissance marina is right downtown in the heart of everything and have reasonable monthly rates. You will need to book way ahead since due to many people’s insurances companies making changes, the ABC’s are becoming a destination for those wanting to stay in the Caribbean.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:17 PM

Island Pearl II just arrived in Caribbean early this morning from Brisbane, Australia via Asia, most Indian Ocean Islands, South Atlantic Islands and Brazil.

In Prickly Bay now, then a slow trip up the Windward then Leewards before BVI's & US BVI's etc then across to Bonaire in late May/June for Hurricane season.

Would love to participate if the dates work out, and/or say HI to any other Amel owners as we travel the Caribbean this season. If you see us anchored near you feel free to come over for a cold beer. We love Amel talk!

Cheers

Colin

On Tue, 22 Jan. 2019, 13:01 alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hello Bill,

I think it is a great idea, our Maramu is based in Venezuela, if we get and idea of the overall plan with dates included, we would seriously consider participating. Also the cost would be an important factor, in my opinion. Thanks for promoting such an activity. Maybe we can convince other Amel owners here to participate.

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981

Oh, so Y Yacht Insurance is just an insurance brokerage.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 9:17 AM sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

From: amelyachtowners@... <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>

Colin,
I'm just catching the end of the thread on insurance, and after reading Mark's email, it seemed that, being a currently covered by Pantaneous, I better start looking into different coverage (my policy renews 10/1).
I goggled y yacht insurance and was directed to Pure. I had received an unsolicitated mailing from Pure not that long ago, and sent the flier into my circular file.
Is y yacht some kind of branch of Pure, or am I on the wrong road here? There are a number of brokers near by my home in NY that are brokers listed for Pure. None of them are yacht brokers. 
Due to my stem fitting issue, and some current electronics upgrades, I put my plan to slide thru the canal and head west off till next year, but the insurance coverage will need to be resolved before that. 
I'm more concerned about liability coverage for all my vessels (5), and I don't care about the bells and whistles, so from your description, a y yacht policy may be a good way for me to go.
Thanks,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 03:46 PM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Hi Mark

Yes, Y Yacht. Their CEO (Barry?) still owns an Amel Maramu and has been talking with Amel HQ about bringing out a policy / product specially designed for Amel yacht owners. Nice bloke, who left us with a very positive impression in many ways concluding a nice personal welcome note as an Amel owner after we joined.

In our case Top Sail had just doubled their quotation on our coverage for Indian Ocean high risk areas, and this was just two weeks before our Velos policy expired, blaming it on the last hurricane season, and informing us that 5 other insurers went out of business that year and hence they were increasing all new policy quotes substantially.

We were in the process of changing to Topsail, but refuse to be ripped off like that in the 11th hour when they clearly assumed we had no time left to change companies and would just have to pay. Topsail will never be considered by us again.

Y Yacht policy certainly had less bells and whistles extra benefits than Panteanius and Velos attached to their policy, but this means big savings and we felt all the basics were well covered.

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Prickly Bay

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 6:55 PM 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

Interesting about insurance. I have spent the past couple of months shopping for insurance to get us through the Panama canal and across the S. Pacific. I have it narrowed down to Y-Yacht (UK), Novamar (USA) and Top Sail (UK) – We currently have Pantaenius and it is going to be cost prohibitive for us to continue with them. If we decide to stay in the Caribbean, the Pantaenius requirements a virtually impossible to adhere to. Either way we need to change.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

We have been off-line for so long on this last 5700nm crossing from Cape Town  so had not yet got time to research the ABC's. 

We joined Y Insurance this year who have incredibly good rates compared to Panteanius & Velos, and also include "in water" hurricane cover in the ABC's only hence our decision to go there.

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Ps...All who meet us....Please don't disown or mock us when you see our "off-pink" boat stripe and rub rail!!  We remain good Amelians... and promise to fix it at the next haulout...... the painter in Durban got the  "Amel 54 Dessert Sand"  colour we love completely wrong .....just when a weather window opened up to bolt around to Cape Town..... So we decided to take the weather gap and fix the colour at next haulout.

On 22 Jan.. 2019 16:27, "'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Colin,

Also consider an extended stay in Aruba during hurricane season. Curacao, not so much. You will love the diving and snorkeling in Bonaire, it is really first rate. If you opt to go to Aruba, the Renaissance marina is right downtown in the heart of everything and have reasonable monthly rates. You will need to book way ahead since due to many people’s insurances companies making changes, the ABC’s are becoming a destination for those wanting to stay in the Caribbean.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Island Pearl II just arrived in Caribbean early this morning from Brisbane, Australia via Asia, most Indian Ocean Islands, South Atlantic Islands and Brazil.

In Prickly Bay now, then a slow trip up the Windward then Leewards before BVI's & US BVI's etc then across to Bonaire in late May/June for Hurricane season.

Would love to participate if the dates work out, and/or say HI to any other Amel owners as we travel the Caribbean this season. If you see us anchored near you feel free to come over for a cold beer. We love Amel talk!

Cheers

Colin

On Tue, 22 Jan. 2019, 13:01 alex.paquin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Hello Bill,

I think it is a great idea, our Maramu is based in Venezuela, if we get and idea of the overall plan with dates included, we would seriously consider participating. Also the cost would be an important factor, in my opinion. Thanks for promoting such an activity. Maybe we can convince other Amel owners here to participate.

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

All,

FWIW,

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

Colin,
Thanks,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

Hi Mark

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Prickly Bay

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers

Colin

Hello Bill,

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981

Gregory Shea

Hi all,

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Preveza

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners]

Colin,
Thanks,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

Hi Mark

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Prickly Bay

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers

Colin

Hello Bill,

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981

JEFFREY KRAUS

Porter McRoberts

That helps immensely!
Thank you Colin!  And welcome to the Western Hemisphere!
Porter
A54-152

On Jan 25, 2019, at 3:46 PM, Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Mark

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Prickly Bay

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers

Colin

Hello Bill,

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Hi Mark

Hope this helps.

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Prickly Bay

(changed name of thread)

Hi Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers 

Colin & Lauren Streeter

Prickly Bay Marina

Colin,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Cheers

Colin

Hello Bill,

Alex Paquin

SIMPATICO

Maramu #94, 1981