From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of jamescromie@... [amelyachtowners] Sent: 27 January 2019 19:25
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Any Amel owners who have sailed to Chile from Panama?

Hello everyone -

I'm interested to know if there are any Amel owners who have sailed to Southern Chile from Panama along the Pacific coast of South America.  If so, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Many thanks!

-James

Soteria

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Ian and Judy,

I would love to read about all your experiences. Do you have some blogs you can share directly with me, guess we shouldn't load the forum. Or write a book.(seriously)  Its an area I have never thought of as a cruisers option and I am fascinated.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 29 January 2019 at 02:10 "Ian & Judy ianjudyjenkins@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi James,

We sailed from Panama to Chile in 2002/3 and then spent two seasons in Chile, mainly in and around the Beagle Channel.  Can't say enough about it. The best sailing experiences in 40 years of sailing and a Supermaramu is the perfect boat for those conditions.

The standard passage is to leave Panama and head  southwest in a wide arc and come back east around about Chiloe. However, friends of ours encouraged us to take the coastal route, against the prevailing wind and Humboldt current. Neither is a problem until you get to about 40s and even then you just pick your weather. We made about 90 miles good each day and were the only yacht to make the whole passage that year. Panama to Salinas in Ecuador we largely made under engine. It's doldrums country, flat calm for 6 days. We put Pen Azen ashore in Ecuador for 5 months while we backpacked around the country. Then to Peru where we anchored off Callao for a month and then we coast hopped . Very few ports, but every now and then you come across a little north facing bay where the Clube de Yates ( whose members  generally only have little motor boats) will give you a wonderful welcome.

 I could write reams about our experiences. Easier to chat if you have lots of questions. Email me on penazen@... if you would like to do so and we can fix a time. We are in London so GMT at the moment.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

Hi Danny,

 We were there in the pre-blog era. I am in the process of writing up  the 7 years we spent sailing around South America but I am heavily engaged in a bio tech start up which all came about when I was using what was then the only cruising guide to Chile written by Ian and Maggy Staples in the late 90's . It became the RCC guide to Chilean waters. By 2003 they had sold their boat and bought the most beautiful farm in the Chilean lake district. Arising out of the production of honey on his farm Ian discovered a technology now  known as Reactive Oxygen. One thing led to another and  to www.matokeholdings.com which is severely curtailing my sailing--but we are going to save the world!

 One of the great benefits of the sailing world is not only that it takes you to fascinating places but you also meet fascinating people who you might never meet at your golf club. They change your life.

 Good though Ian and Maggy's guide is, the one book you should read is the Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego Nautical guide by Mariolina Rolfo and Giorgio Adrizzi. They bought, second hand, the very first Amel Sharki ( 16 coats of varnish!) and ended up spending 16 years in Chile, mainly in the Beagle.  It is the most comprehensive book on sailing conditions, anchorages, wild life, history etc etc. We became good friends and even contributed in a tiny way to their second edition.  I defy any Amel owner  to read that book and not  want to sail there. Even if you don't sail there it makes fascinating reading. We anchored in more than 70 remote  anchorages otherwise unknown to us relying entirely on their guide.

 Also read Hal Roth's  excellent book Two against the Horn. I first read it about 35 years ago and it contains a sentence to the effect that the most challenging place to take a yacht is the Chilean canales. That one sentence stood as a challenge to me during all the years when I was working until Judy said to me " if you don't do something about your dream you're going to be a wannabe Chile man ".  That was it--how can a man deny his wife?

 Very few boats go down to the south and most that do are passage making east to west and tend to hurry through. If you do go down there be ready to spend at least 2 seasons exploring what is one of the most remarkable places to sail.

Fair winds--you will need them in that part of the world .

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Greece

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thank you Ian,

I will hunt out those titles. I fear I have left my run too late for that voyaging. I will have to enjoy it vicariously through others stories.

Kind Regards and good luck with saving the planet, its getting a bit cluttered in that zone at the moment

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

[...]

karkauai

I’d like to hear more, too, Ian.  We’re headed that way and thought we might leave Kristy in Ecuador and do some land travel before heading West.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

[...]

Kent and Danny,

Would be delighted to pass on our experiences. Rather than clog up this website if you can send me your own email addresses ( to   penazen@...) I will write up a number of points that you might find useful.  Happy to chat on whatsapp as well. We're in London and not afloat again until the end of March.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

Alan Leslie

Hi Ian and Judy....

you need to morph your email address ...to xxx at yyy dot com ....or such like....
I'm interested to hear your tales as well.
Cheers

Alan
 Elyse SM437
Sweltering in Opua !!

Hi Alan,

 Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain " morph" ?

Opua sounds more comfortable than England right now, though I hope you haven't got the 46 c that the Aussies have !

 Ian

you need to morph your email address ...to xxx at yyy dot com ....or such like....
I'm interested to hear your tales as well.
Cheers

Alan
 Elyse SM437
Sweltering in Opua !!

Alan Leslie

Sorry Ian

Morph in my dictionary means change / modify

Yahoo doesn't show email addresses with @ so they have to be changed to be       abc at xyz dot com or similar.

My wife is at home in Australia struggling with 40+ every day !

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437