Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

Mark Erdos

Paul,

Sorry I can’t help but wanted to say this made me laugh hard. This has to be the funniest post to make the forum. Cheers!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:31 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Ping pong ball valve?

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.

Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  

What next?  Perhaps I will find a badminton birdie being use as a filter?

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique

Porter McRoberts

We also have the ping pong ball!

Porter
a54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:51 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Paul,

Sorry I can’t help but wanted to say this made me laugh hard. This has to be the funniest post to make the forum. Cheers!

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Very strange.  The T-fitting where the drain hose from the washing machine T's into the hose under the floor running to the bilge broke.  I removed the fitting--a gray plastic T with a white PVC fitting glued on the 
T part going towards the washer--and inside the white PVC fitting, which is sort of cup-shaped, was a ping pong ball!   Not a plumbing part, a REAL ping pong ball with the name of the big French sporting goods store, Decathlon, printed on it.  it appears to fit very nicely inside the PVC "cup", a bit loose-- perhaps some sort of one-way valve or flow decreasing device??  No way a ping pong ball could have gone through the wash.

Does anyone else have a ping pong ball in their plumbing?  Is there any need to regulate the drainage out of the washer or prevent back-flow, because if not I would just as soon replace it with a simple T, sans ping pong ball.  

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Sounds like it is an innovative low cost non return valve.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 31 January 2019 at 09:28 "Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We also have the ping pong ball!

Porter
a54-152

Excuse the errors.  
Sent from my IPhone 

On Jan 30, 2019, at 12:51 PM, 'Mark Erdos' mcerdos@... [amelyachtowners] < amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Paul,

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

www.creampuff.us

Paul

SM 238 "Maracuya"

Martinique