Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] performance differences [1 Attachment]

Courtney Gorman

The second pole was an option on the 54
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101
Benner Bay St Thomas

On Feb 9, 2019, at 9:11 AM, Nick Newington ngtnewington@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Jeff,

I am not on the boat for the winter, so can not measure the stem fitting. My poles are normally stored on deck. So there is no track on the mast but fittings at the base of the mast. Consequently they are very long. The twin pole set up is for using the ballooner one side and the genoa the other. This is the classic Amel trade wind rig. I guess not all the 54’s were set up exactly the same. NicK
.
On 9 Feb 2019, at 12:40, JEFFREY KRAUS jmkraus@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Nick,
I'm curious, on 2 fronts.
I have 54 #14. There is only 1 pole, mounted on a track on the forward side of the mast. Where is your second pole mounted? Is it possible to send a picture?
I am considering mounting a receptor for a pole on the downhaul track (used to tighten the mainsail head), and using a telescopic pole to mount onto the receptor fitting. I'd have to store the pole on deck. It would only be used for a code zero deployment on the starboard side.
Also, could you measure your stem fitting? Barry Connor 54 #14 has the 6.5mm stem fitting and is looking into replacing it with the Amel modified 20mm version.  If you have that similar 6.5mm fitting, you may want to contact Amel and express a desire to replace it also. Perhaps they would consider offering that item to owners if enough people express a desire to replace the under-manufactured part.
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 02:06 AM, Nick ngtnewington@...[amelyachtowners] wrote:

RE POLES ON THE 54

I have a 54 with twin aluminium poles. I can manage them alone but they are big and quite heavy. One trick I have found is that when at sea and likely to be using them, but not actually using them. I  leave them clicked into their mounts at the base of the mast and lying horizontally lashed to the teak bow seat. They are then ready to hoist. They are secure do not get in the way. When it comes to sailing downwind, I am no fan of reaching up unless in light airs. In my opinion poles are essential.
Nick s/y Amelia 019 54

On 8 Feb 2019, at 17:57, grove.ken@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed description. The flavor of your information more or less matches  the relative degree of differences I was expecting between the three models, but with much more detail about exactly how (and why) they differ.

Can you elaborate a little more on the pole differences between the 53 and 54, especially as it relates to short handed sailing? The majority of the time it would be just my wife and I, and I'd be even more comfortable if it could be safely sailed by even just my wife should I get sick or injured. How much heavier and more cumbersome are the bigger 54 poles to handle? Are they still manageable enough that a typical female could handle them? I assume it would be highly advised to make sure they are the lighter carbon fiber variety.

You mentioned the extra difficulty on the 55 around docks due to the higher freeboard. Any other material differences you would note between the three models as it relates to easy / safe short handed sailing?