Requesting advice marinas in Puerto Rico and St. Thomas

jamescromie@...

Hello Amelians -

I am needing to leave my boat for a couple weeks while I return home.  I am looking for a safe and affordable location to keep it - either at Puerto Rico or St. Thomas.  I would be grateful for any recommendations for either location.  I'd prefer to use a mooring , though I am considering  using a slip as well.

Many thanks,

James

SV Soteria

SM2K 347

greatketch@...

James,

If the south coast of PR works for you, we had good experiences in Ponce at Club Nautico where we left Harmonie tied up in a slip for a trip back to the mainland.  The staff was great and the facilities good.  My recollection is that there were moorings in the harbor, but I am not sure if they were associated with Club Nautico, or were private.

The only caveat is that we were there pre-hurricane, so not sure of the current status.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Georgetown, Bahamas

Gary Wells

I know that in St. Thomas things will be expensive.  Crown Bay Marina came in at $4.15 per foot per day, with our a slight discount for monthly rates.  Yacht Haven Grande is higher and I'm not sure about American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook.
With the ease of ferry access, it might be worth it.to consider Nanny Cay ($1.85/ft) or even Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor ($1.30/ft) in the BVIs.

Only caveat there is that you'll need to import your boat ($202) if you plan on staying more than 30 cumulative days in the BVIs in a year.

Cheers!
Gary W
SV Adagio, SM #209
St. Thomas (at anchor :)

Mark Erdos

Holy cow! It’s no wonder the marinas in St. T where empty when we were there. I guess you don’t need very many boats if the fees per boat are so high.

Don’t forget about Palmas Del Mar Yacht Club in southeastern PR. http://www.theyachtclubmarina.com/ Good security, super easy in/out from the ocean and only a day sail from St. T.  I would imagine flights from PR would also be a little less and with more choices.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

I know that in St. Thomas things will be expensive.  Crown Bay Marina came in at $4.15 per foot per day, with our a slight discount for monthly rates.  Yacht Haven Grande is higher and I'm not sure about American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook.
With the ease of ferry access, it might be worth it.to consider Nanny Cay ($1.85/ft) or even Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor ($1.30/ft) in the BVIs.

Only caveat there is that you'll need to import your boat ($202) if you plan on staying more than 30 cumulative days in the BVIs in a year.

Cheers!
Gary W
SV Adagio, SM #209
St. Thomas (at anchor :)

James Cromie <jamescromie@...>

Thank you Gary.  Yes, I experienced a bit of sticker shock with the St. Thomas rates.
-James