Topics

New furlers on an Amel 54

Arno Luijten

Hi All,

Following the nice offer from Paul Hrabowsky (Bamar USA) I received the new EJF1 furlers a while ago and after some preparations I had the local rigger on Saint Martin replace the old ones with the EJF1 model. This took a little over a day with not too many problems. The fit was excellent after returning to my marina I could proceed with the electrical part of the job.

That proved to be a bit more complicated as the new furlers have a bit more connections to them. The MEJ furlers only have a motor with a plus and minus cable. The EJF1 has a electric brake and a thermal sensor added to the party.
I also ordered new Boxtron E14 boxes as the existing ones were not working anymore and the old MEJ furlers were connected to the Boxtron EM boxes.
The Amel yard connected the Boxtron boxes a bit differently then intended by Bamar. The remote switch has three cables but only 2 are led to the furler. The third (power) cable is fed directly from the circuit-breaker panel in the galley. This gave me some problems hooking up the thermal sensor.

Long story short it meant I added an intermediate connection box with a relay to enable the thermal sensor.
Added benefit is I now have a local (to the furler) switch to operate the furlers.

I also had to adapt both the E14 and the EM boxes to be able to use the connection boxes. For the E14 the change was minor. I had to add a "Vbat -" (minus) wire to the multi-connector . As this still had one pin free that was easy.
The EM box was a bit more work as the box was not designed to work together with the polarized brake power cabe (the brake on the EJF1 has a "plus"and a "minus") so I had to do some rewiring and add some diodes in the EM-box.

Altough the old furlers were still working fine, I must say the new one feel much more sturdy and make much less noise. In a later post I will put the old furlers up for offer in case someone is interested.

A picture of the connection boxes:

In situ:

Schematic design added as attachment

The result:

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

Hi Arno
Did you use FKG to do the job?

Am Di., Feb. 12, 2019 at 11:24 schrieb Arno Luijten
<arno.luijten@...>:
[...]

Yes FKG did the mechanics. I did all electrics myself.
Haven’t been out sailing yet but they seem to have done a good job.

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Alexander Ramseyer

Hi Arno,
would you eventually assist me with the electrics if I came to St. Martin to do the job in the Nov/December timeframe?

I could bring you things from the U.S. if needed..

Best regards, Alex
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
Am 16.02.19, 06:44, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> schrieb:

Yes FKG did the mechanics. I did all electrics myself.
Haven’t been out sailing yet but they seem to have done a good job.

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Alex,

Well, planning 10 months in the the future is almost impossible in the Caribbean but nothing spectacular happens (like a Hurricane or so) I will be happy to help.

It will be interesting to see the differences between our 54’s. What build number do you have?

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Mark & Debbie Mueller

An alternative connection scheme: I ran into this problem when changing over to the new Bamar about 7 months ago.  After several conversations with Paul and him communicating with Bamar’s engineers an alternative connection plan was utilized.

Assuming that majority of the power is utilized when furling and therefore heat generated I connected the thermal cut-off switch in series with the “Furl” switch.  If the motor overheats when furling the thermal overload opens and protects the motor.  All the connections were made in the new control box mounted in the forepeak with no additional interface necessary.

Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

JEFFREY KRAUS

I don't get the confusion on the new Bamar furler electronic connection.
I just did the change to the new EJF1. The wiring scheme on the (if I remember correctly) 7 pin plug was 2 thermal leads to 2 pins, 3 leads to the furler to control the in/out to 2 pins, with 1 of those pins having 2 wires attached to 1 pin, and the 2 switch leads to 2 other pins. There was 1 unused pin. Plug it in (after the hot +/-)in and +/-out to the furler) are connected, and you're done. This wiring was confirmed by Paul from Bamar.
I'm not on the boat, but will be Monday. I can tell you which pin #s to connect the wires to if I looked at the wiring scheme in the manual. It works just fine. No extra switches or anything.
Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 11:38 AM, Mark Mueller wrote:

An alternative connection scheme: I ran into this problem when changing over to the new Bamar about 7 months ago.  After several conversations with Paul and him communicating with Bamar’s engineers an alternative connection plan was utilized.

Assuming that majority of the power is utilized when furling and therefore heat generated I connected the thermal cut-off switch in series with the “Furl” switch.  If the motor overheats when furling the thermal overload opens and protects the motor.  All the connections were made in the new control box mounted in the forepeak with no additional interface necessary.

Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Arno Luijten

The point is that I wanted to also the EM boxes available as a backup. Also I wanted to protection to work both on furling and unfurling. I did think about the argument that the majority of power is dissipated when furling, but if something snags it might as well be when unfurling.

The staysail on our Amel only has 2 wires from the remote switch and no 24 volt feed line to the switch from the sail locker. I also did not like to use the 6 pin plug for both the connection of the furler as the connection of the remote switch. Using separate plugs makes troubleshooting easier.

This combined with the additional functionality of the local switch and status LEDs made me come up with this installation. I did not say there were no other ways of doing it. They all have drawbacks.

Arno

Alexander Ramseyer

Hi Arno,
Jeff and I are working on my new furler. We need to know which wire goes to which Pin on the relay that we need to install next to the Boxtron.  Can you help with that? I know you sent a Diagram to Jeff, but we would really appreciate if you could use the wire colors and pin numbers to help us with that.
Thank you very much for your continued support, Alex