From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74@...>
Sent: 12 February 2019 20:18
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Max Volvo RPM

Can anyone with the combo of a SM, a Volvo Penta TMD22, and an Autoprop tell me what they get for max RPMs while underway in forward gear and full throttle?

Gary Wells

Same here.  About 2700 on mine right now but she's got.almost.6,000hr on her.
Got nearly 3,000RPM a couple.ofmyears ago in reverser gear during a "static test" siruation ..  ..  well ..  ..  some people like to call it "running aground" ... but anyway, if the boat's not moving the Autoprop's pitch stays flatter :)

Gary W.
SM 209
BVIs

Paul Cooper <paul.cooper74@...>

Okay thanks.  I just got 2600 after 4 new injectors installed.  Stern-to at the dock, straining against stern lines, got 3300.  The Volvo mechanic says this engine is rated over 3500 max rpms but the large size of the Autoprop may be causing the lower max rpms underway.   Also the turbo may be failing.  But she definitely has more power now (was probably running on 2 cylinders before) judging by the fact that  I scared my wife and surprised myself when we left the dock because when I gave the engine the usual amount of throttle  she leapt out of the gate instead of creeping ahead.

With a max of 2600 rpms I should be able to cruise at 80% max, or 2000 rpm, right?

Paul C.
SM238
Martinique

Jean-Pierre Germain <jp.germain45@...>

Hi Guys,

My boat has the same setup except for the Maxprop.

A few facts about the TDM22 is that it is rated for much higher rpm than Amel chose to use.  On my previous boat, I always got 4200+ at full power with the comparable prop.  AMEL just chose to operate the engine at a lower rpm.  This was an easy choice as our engine has a good torque curve and lower rpm results in longer life and less noise/fuel.  So we have 70+ hp instead of 82 in my previous boat.

Not much impact in my opinion.

Enjoy your boats.

Cheers,

Jean-Pierre Germain,
SY Eleuthera, SM007
Opua, NZ

On 13 Feb 2019, at 23:48, Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

Same here.  About 2700 on mine right now but she's got.almost.6,000hr on her.
Got nearly 3,000RPM a couple.ofmyears ago in reverser gear during a "static test" siruation ..  ..  well ..  ..  some people like to call it "running aground" ... but anyway, if the boat's not moving the Autoprop's pitch stays flatter :)

Gary W.
SM 209
BVIs

Paul,

 At the dock you will get more than 2,800 revs in gear because the flow of water through the Autoprop when the boat is stationary is insufficient to change the angle of the blades, so less resistance and higher revs. Glad that you found improved performance once you were under way.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

Okay thanks.  I just got 2600 after 4 new injectors installed.  Stern-to at the dock, straining against stern lines, got 3300.  The Volvo mechanic says this engine is rated over 3500 max rpms but the large size of the Autoprop may be causing the lower max rpms underway.   Also the turbo may be failing.  But she definitely has more power now (was probably running on 2 cylinders before) judging by the fact that  I scared my wife and surprised myself when we left the dock because when I gave the engine the usual amount of throttle  she leapt out of the gate instead of creeping ahead.

With a max of 2600 rpms I should be able to cruise at 80% max, or 2000 rpm, right?

Paul C.
SM238
Martinique

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Gary et al,

Watch out if your TMD 22 significantly exceeds 2800 rpm under load. It could indicate the turbo waste gate is frozen resulting in over turbo pressure. This can lead to serious engine damage.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 13 February 2019 at 23:48 Gary Wells <gary@...> wrote:

Same here.  About 2700 on mine right now but she's got.almost.6,000hr on her.
Got nearly 3,000RPM a couple.ofmyears ago in reverser gear during a "static test" siruation ..  ..  well ..  ..  some people like to call it "running aground" ... but anyway, if the boat's not moving the Autoprop's pitch stays flatter :)

Gary W.
SM 209
BVIs

Gary,

I did not know that the AutoProp pitch stays flatter if the boat is not moving. I did know that RPM test while tied to a dock is not valid, but I did not know why. This explains volumes to me, and is so logical. Thanks for this!

Best,

Bill Rouse