Topics

Mainsail furling motor the saga continues

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi All,
I received my motor from Maud today. It came as just the motor. I assumed it would come with the plastic neck piece too. It did not. This is the piece that the white housing clamps onto. Someone mentioned they had one fabricated. Has anyone had one of these fabricated and have the dimensions also how is it attached to the motor glued-screwed? I do not want to disassemble my outhaul motor to measure if I don't have too.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Joy #388
Stuck in St.Martin

Alan Grayson

Hi Chuck, I,m a bit confused. Are you referring to the outhaul or the main furling motor. I have just removed the outhaul gearbox and motor and do not remember any plastic neck piece.
i just ordered a new LeRoy somers main furling motor and the 2 big black spacers( not really sure that’s what they are yet as I haven’t pulled it apart yet), is that what you are referring too?
Does anyone have a breakdown of the main furling motor / gearbox setup
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai
SM 406
Boat in Ft Lauderdale while I’m visiting family in Mangawhai NZ

Patrick McAneny

Chuck,Just tried to call you,couldn’t get it to go. I think I am the one who made new rings.Give me a call.
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Bequia

Mark Erdos

A word of advice to owners replacing the sail motors. I had the same experience as Chuck. So, when ordering another sail motor from Amel I asked and paid a little extra to have Amel put the necessary attachments onto the motor. I sent Maud a picture with instructions to “please make and send me this complete unit”. Of course, Amel sent me an eact replacement and all I had to do was fit it. It wasn’t cheap but it was a perfect match. They even labeled the wires and sent a picture of connections to make.

On a side note, in my dealings with Maud, I have found she is more than willing to take a picture of what she is about to ship to you.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

I received my motor from Maud today. It came as just the motor. I assumed it would come with the plastic neck piece too. It did not. This is the piece that the white housing clamps onto. Someone mentioned they had one fabricated. Has anyone had one of these fabricated and have the dimensions also how is it attached to the motor glued-screwed? I do not want to disassemble my outhaul motor to measure if I don't have too.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Joy #388
Stuck in St.Martin

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply Mark, Pat and Alan.  Alan it is a coller under the white housing you do not see unless you remove the motor from its protective shell. I am having one fabricated now. Live and learn. Mark had it right. Be specific, don't assume and exchange photos prior to ordering.

Thx,
Chuck