Topics

Rudder Stuffing Box

Thomas Kleman

Was down to my last quarter turn on the plastic nut so decided to repack the stuffing box while on the hard. Quadrant was seized and needed 6 hours and a custom made puller tool to get it off. Then pulled out the stuffing and repacked it. Tapped it down and all seemed good...except nut now encounters stuffing too high in box to grab......stuffing is mashed down so I guess top part of box is stripped. Its not the nut (I have three and tried all of them). For now I have two rings of stuffing in and ironically Im back to one quarter turn left on the nut......and a day of my life gone. Ideas ?

Jean-Pierre Germain <jp.germain45@...>

Hello Thomas,

Did you remove all the old stuffing material?  There should be 3 rings with the ends butting 120 degrees apart.

I also use plenty of waterproof silicone grease when installing the packing nut.

Good luck,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM 007,
Opua, NZ

On 18 Feb 2019, at 09:44, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Was down to my last quarter turn on the plastic nut so decided to repack the stuffing box while on the hard. Quadrant was seized and needed 6 hours and a custom made puller tool to get it off. Then pulled out the stuffing and repacked it. Tapped it down and all seemed good...except nut now encounters stuffing too high in box to grab......stuffing is mashed down so I guess top part of box is stripped. Its not the nut (I have three and tried all of them). For now I have two rings of stuffing in and ironically Im back to one quarter turn left on the nut......and a day of my life gone. Ideas ?

Thomas Kleman

Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi Thomas,
As an opinion, I would not relaunch before getting a solution.  So it works on launch... how about in 2 years??

Good luck

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 10:32 Thomas Kleman, <lorient422@...> wrote:
Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.

Dave Ritten <daveritten@...>

If the thread is stripped you could try Loctite Thread Repair

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-28654-4-80ml-Thread-Stripped/dp/B000WSEUII

James Alton

Thomas,

  IMO the plastic threads on the packing nut are not really strong enough to compress all of the packing until you have a few threads engaged.  You might try pressing your new packing into the groove using some other creative means. Just don’t damage the packing or the threads.  It can help to compress one ring at a time getting the first two rings fully bottomed before adding the third, the packing nut should work to compress the first two rings.  Then when you install the plastic packing nut but sure that it is not cross threaded and give it a little gentle help compressing the packing by installing some wedges between the quadrant and the nut. Be sure that the threads on the packing nut have not be damaged from your first attempt.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno

On Feb 17, 2019, at 4:32 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.

eric freedman

Hi Thomas,

I install the packing with a axel grease on the rudder post and the perimeter of the inside of the stuffing box.

I drive the stuffing down with a large diameter piece if PVC pipe and a small sledge hammer until the packing bottoms out.

Over the years I have had the top few threads of the stuffing box strip.

This fall I had a 10 mm thick round piece of fiberglass made  with the inside formed around the nut, thus threaded.

Its outside diameter is about the same as the stuffing box.

It was fixed in place with epoxy and screws. I now have a stuffing box with 5 pieces of packing.

Having 5 pieces of packing also allows 4 pieces to be changed in the water.

If you have a big shop vac you can also change all the packing while in the water with some weight moved to the bow.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

As an opinion, I would not relaunch before getting a solution.  So it works on launch... how about in 2 years??

Good luck

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019, 10:32 Thomas Kleman, <lorient422@...> wrote:

Yes- I removed all three rings.....probably original to the boat. When I put three of the Amel supplied rings in, the nut won't grab the stuffing box. I'm going back in the water soon so we will see if it leaks.

Arno Luijten

There is a recent episode of Delos where Brian shows you how he repacks the rudder gland. It one of the episodes where they do boatwork on Grenada,