Topics

Volvo D2-75 Repower

Paul Cooper <paul.cooper74@...>

Any SMs with a Volvo D2-75 repower care to comment on their experience?  Good?  Problems? Power adequate?  How did you handle the galvanic isolation issue?

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Paul,

We have about 30 hours on our D2-75. Its a good fit. The guy who installed it originally worked with the Brit who designed the TMD22 so he knows both engines well. The TMD was designed for road use and then marinised whereas the D2-75 was designed as a marine engine. Neater and more accessible. No lack of power compared to the TMD22. It is marginally noisier as it is not belt driven. Wonderfully clean exhaust. I expect fuel consumption to be the same.
The secret switch used to interrupt the power to the switch board but now interrupts the power to the starter. Volvo insist  that this engine does  not need galvanic isolation  but I like the belt and braces approach of the original so will resolve that--pending that, I have fitted the Autoprop with the  zinc cap that Autoprop supply.

Early days, but we are very pleased.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74@...>
Sent: 19 February 2019 02:01
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D2-75 Repower

Any SMs with a Volvo D2-75 repower care to comment on their experience?  Good?  Problems? Power adequate?  How did you handle the galvanic isolation issue?

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Ian,

Maybe you "glossed over" the timing belt advantage. Without the timing belt, there is no timing belt change required.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:21 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

We have about 30 hours on our D2-75. Its a good fit. The guy who installed it originally worked with the Brit who designed the TMD22 so he knows both engines well. The TMD was designed for road use and then marinised whereas the D2-75 was designed as a marine engine. Neater and more accessible. No lack of power compared to the TMD22. It is marginally noisier as it is not belt driven. Wonderfully clean exhaust. I expect fuel consumption to be the same.
The secret switch used to interrupt the power to the switch board but now interrupts the power to the starter. Volvo insist  that this engine does  not need galvanic isolation  but I like the belt and braces approach of the original so will resolve that--pending that, I have fitted the Autoprop with the  zinc cap that Autoprop supply.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Paul Cooper <paul.cooper74@...>

Thanks for those comments.  I will put that into my decision-making.

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Bill,

Good point. One less thing to worry about.

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Sent: 20 February 2019 11:28
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D2-75 Repower

Ian,

Maybe you "glossed over" the timing belt advantage. Without the timing belt, there is no timing belt change required.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:21 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
Hi Paul,

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74=yahoo.com@groups.io>

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

rossirossix4

Edited

Ian, you know more than I on this but I don't think it is the engine, but the Amel "C" drive, etc that can take a beating......Chime in Kent!

I'm here at the Amel Center in Le Marin, Martinique after a "drama free" sail from Cape Verde....and Alban lent me a tool that they made up that let me pull the main hauler gearbox out of the boom with ZERO effort (2004 SM)!  Will post a pic in a bit.

Bob Rossi, KAIMI SM 429

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,

I have had the D2-75 for 4 years. 850 hours. All good. More torque than the TMD22. so not sensitive to fouling on the prop Noticeably lighter Stern rides higher. Happy with it. After a year the turbo was replaced under warranty, no problems since. Amel advised not to go for the 110hp as the C drive in 299 was not built to take that power. The C drive was upgraded in the models that had the 110 fitted. In retrospect I would consider an overhaul of the TMD 22 instead at a much lower cost, not because of any issues with the new motor.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 19 February 2019 Hi Paulat 15:01 "Paul Cooper via Groups.Io" <paul.cooper74@...> wrote:

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Miles

Hi Ian and Judy,

I agree with all you say about the Volvo D2-75.  I have had mine for about 1000 hours and I have enjoyed much better fuel consumption.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm 216 Le Marin, Martinique

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

Ian and Judy,

Volvo is right, the engine does not need isolation. BUT, the engine ground system is not isolated to protect the engine.

The C-drive needs to be connected to the Amel bonding system for corrosion control.  Unless extra ordinary measures are taken, the engine chassis is going to be electrically connected to the C-drive.  Having a full time negative ground on the engine chassis results in full time connection of the 12-Volt Negative connected to the bonding system. Having these two system interconnected  is not the way the Amel corrosion control system is designed.

The problem here is if ANY other part of the bonding system has an inadvertent connection to the 12-Volt positive, very severe, and rapid, corrosion can occur. This will not show up on the ground fault lights because those only test for a faults in the 24-Volt system.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Georgetown, Bahamas

eric freedman

Hi Ian,

Do the senders on your new engine have 2 wires on them? Temp sender, oil pressure sender, etc. ?

Is one side of the starter motor attached to the block?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianjudyjenkins@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 6:21 AM

Hi Paul,

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Paul Cooper via Groups.Io <paul.cooper74@...>

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Hi Bill, Eric, ( and anyone else who has fitted a D2-75 )

Thanks . My guy will be working on this shortly--Pen Azen is ashore at present and I'm in London.
 I want to make sure that I cover every point. In addition to the senders and the starter motor should the 12v alternator also be isolated ? ( but presumably not the 24v alternator?) 
 Any other points to consider ?

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of eric freedman <kimberlite@...>
Sent: 21 February 2019 00:53

Hi Ian,

Do the senders on your new engine have 2 wires on them? Temp sender, oil pressure sender, etc. ?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of ianjudyjenkins@...

Hi Paul,

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

eric freedman

Hi Ian,

The 12 V alternator should also be an isolated unit 

I believe the 24 Volt alternator should  also be isolated as the whole purpose of the isolation is to prevent the house battery bank from being connected to the bonding. Recall the discussions of the 24 volt macerator toilet pumps becoming connected to the bonding due to water intrusion.

However I am also not on board and cannot give a definitive answer about that unit.

How many hours did you have on your previous engine?

With respect to the autoprop zinc, paint the heads of the screws with nail polish. This will prevent he screw heads from dissolving.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 5:45 AM

Thanks . My guy will be working on this shortly--Pen Azen is ashore at present and I'm in London.

I want to make sure that I cover every point. In addition to the senders and the starter motor should the 12v alternator also be isolated ? ( but presumably not the 24v alternator?) 

Ian

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of eric freedman <kimberlite@...>

Hi Ian,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Paul,

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Thanks, Eric.

We had about 6,500 hours on the first engine. Should have been good for more....but a French Volvo agent breathed on it. Long, expensive saga.

Ian

Sent: 21 February 2019 11:37

Hi Ian,

The 12 V alternator should also be an isolated unit 

I believe the 24 Volt alternator should  also be isolated as the whole purpose of the isolation is to prevent the house battery bank from being connected to the bonding. Recall the discussions of the 24 volt macerator toilet pumps becoming connected to the bonding due to water intrusion.

However I am also not on board and cannot give a definitive answer about that unit.

How many hours did you have on your previous engine?

With respect to the autoprop zinc, paint the heads of the screws with nail polish. This will prevent he screw heads from dissolving.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 5:45 AM

Ian

Hi Ian,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Paul,

Thanks,

Paul C.
SM238 "Maracuya"
Martinique

Bill Kinney <greatketch@...>

The 24 volt alternator absolutely needs to be an isolated ground unit. If it is not, you end up with connections between the 24 v system, the 12 v system AND the bonding system. Very bad things will happen. 

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Georgetown, Bahamas

Jose Venegas <josegvenegas@...>

Eric and Ian,

With respect to the autoprop zinc, I have been using plastic screws and painting with nail polish the surface of the zinc on the thin areas outside of the screw hole. The plastic screws keep good compression between the zinc and the prop and prevent seising between two metals. The painting of the zinc prevents it from falling out when those areas are prematurely worn out. Last year’s zinc was still 50% at the end of the season !