Engine room ventilator

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

We found our engine room blower (inlet) dead. It’s a 24V/5.3A 250CFM jabsco (ref 35440-0010) that’s purposely powered with 12V from the engine alternator/starter battery (as per the A54 user manual)

We are in Panama and we only have access to the 12V equivalent.

Would that be ok?

Anyone knows why Amel uses a 24V appliance with 12V?

Thanks in advance

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Panama City

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Thomas,

Olivier explained to us a while back, this was because it would last longer (running on 12 volt) also I think less voltage variation.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Engine room ventilator
To: "Yahoo Group Amel" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Friday, February 22, 2019, 10:16 AM

Hi all,

We found our engine room blower (inlet)
dead. It’s a 24V/5.3A 250CFM jabsco (ref 35440-0010)
that’s purposely powered with 12V from the engine
alternator/starter battery (as per the A54 user manual)

We are in Panama and we only have
access to the 12V equivalent.

Would that be ok?

Anyone knows why Amel uses a 24V
appliance with 12V?

Thanks in advance

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Panama City

Mark McGovern

You can use a 12v fan but expect it fail fairly quickly due the fact that it will actually be running at 14+ Volts most of the time due to the alternator running while it is running.  To add some more details to what Alex posted, here is a link to a previous post that had a lot of good information on this subject:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/34465

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Sv Garulfo

Hello
Thanks all for your feedback and link to prior discussion.

Has anyone installed the alternative blower suggested (jabsco 35770-0094 continuous duty) who could share their feedback (any fuse, wire changes required) ?
Any insight on why Amel didn’t go for this 24v model with a longer motor life?

Thanks all for your input.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO A54-122
Panama city

On 22 Feb 2019, at 11:25, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

You can use a 12v fan but expect it fail fairly quickly due the fact that it will actually be running at 14+ Volts most of the time due to the alternator running while it is running.  To add some more details to what Alex posted, here is a link to a previous post that had a lot of good information on this subject:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/message/34465

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Olivier Beaute

Hello Thomas,

Amel indeed installed the heavy duty ones in the engine room and the 35440 for the galley exhaust. Yours may have been replaced since the boat is built with a normal one, just because the heavy duty one was not available. Or maybe the 35440 was originally installed because of a lack of the heavy duty ones (AMEL also had/has to face supply failures sometimes).
However, the inlet blower is the most exposed to salty air, and it may not be wise to install the most expensive there...

Bon courage.

Olivier

Sv Garulfo

Thanks Olivier

For info, the galley extractor uses a Plastimo 16275 (dated 2008, so probably installed by the yard). It’s rated 2A, 150m^3/h (88 cfm) so quite a bit less than the engine room blower (150 cfm).
I did hope for some redundancy there and might decide to implement it.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Panama

On 23 Feb 2019, at 03:17, Beaute Olivier via Groups.Io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

Hello Thomas,

Amel indeed installed the heavy duty ones in the engine room and the 35440 for the galley exhaust. Yours may have been replaced since the boat is built with a normal one, just because the heavy duty one was not available. Or maybe the 35440 was originally installed because of a lack of the heavy duty ones (AMEL also had/has to face supply failures sometimes).
However, the inlet blower is the most exposed to salty air, and it may not be wise to install the most expensive there...

Bon courage.

Olivier

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi everyone,
While on the topic...
Our engine room has no 220V blower, something that has bothered me for a while and often prompts me to open the engine room cover or turn on the DC powered blowers during longer generator runs... not a great set up.
Just curious what brands, styles, CFM ratings, etc. have worked well for others to ventilate the generator. And upstream of the main engine exhaust blower is the preferred installation? We plan to install something when we get to Panama City next month.

Thanks,
Mike & Hannah
SV Trilogy
SM#23