Gearbox greasing

Cathy & Guillaume

Having read the different discussions on the placement of greasing holes on the three furler gearboxes, I would like to be absolutely sure before I start drilling... Are the attached locations the right ones? OK to do in situ? Many thanks.

Guillaume
s/v Carpathia III - SM#293

Mark McGovern

Guillaume,

If you have not already done so, search the term "Grease" in the photos section and you will find some pictures of the different locations that people have used to install grease fittings on those gearboxes.  I have only installed grease fittings on my Leroy Somer main furler gearbox but I will install them in the other two this spring.  Below are some pics of my installation.  I took the gearbox off to do it but it certainly could have been done in place.  The only advantage I see to taking it off was that I could remove the cover and thus could remove the old grease from the bearing.  For future greasing I will NOT remove it.

In the locations that I chose to install the fitting the wall thickness was 12.4-12.5mm.  My only advice is to go slowly and use a shop vac to suck the aluminum chips out of the hole as you go to reduce the risk of aluminum shavings getting into the gearbox.

Hole Locations:

Wine Cork to Gauge Depth (I borrowed this idea from another Amel owner!)

Grease Fitting Installed:

Old Grease Starting to Come Out of Bearing (Brown Grease):

New Grease Coming Out Top (Green):

New Grease Coming Out of Bearing (Green):

Hope these pics help!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

eric freedman

Hi,

I put one hole low on one side of the gearboxes and the other on the opposite side Port / starboard.

I use a 5 mm nylon bolt to close the hole. The bolts are cut rather short,  I put the grease into the gearbox using the autoprop grease gun adapter. I pump the grease from the lower hole and it exits the upper hole.

The spots on the genoa look good to me.

While you are messing around, it would be a good time to remove the shaft that goes through the gearbox on the outhaul and the outhaul winch.

I removed a few thousands of an inch from the key on the shaft and installed it with never-seeze. I grease this every 6 months and have had no problem getting the shaft out.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376