Insurance updates.

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Over 2 months later, and despite 2 more letters from my lawyers to ask the settlement clauses to be notified still nothing.
So today I called Helvetia and said these clauses were not acceptable, that they should know by now that I will not let go, that personally I wanted to go to trial, but my lawyers want to solve the issue peacefully.
The person said he will contact the legal department to see about changing the clauses. (last time my lawyers ask them, they supposedly were very busy and needed more time).
Always excuses..
So will see.

Now regarding Pantaneus (reminder: one of their insured lost control and hit my vessel in Nassau in July 2014). They still not have sent the ridiculous amount they agreed to pay.
Helvetia said that Mr Thomas Mullady does not reply any of their email. Helvetia assures me, they do everything to obtain that payment.
I told them, if in 2014 then you did not want to hire a lawyer for $20.000 I doubt you will hire one for less. They assure me again I would be reimbursed.

Personally I will NEVER use insurance again (aside for the required liability). It is obvious they are ALL dishonest.
In the pasts, I heard many “horror” stories, I thought this was exaggerations from upset people, unfortunately this is all true.

On a side note, the french customs asked me to pay “this year” (2019) annual fee for the boat (which they know sunk in 2017), but we solved that.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Gary Silver

Alexandre:

I am so sad to hear of the pain and suffering you have received at the hands of your insurance company.  While I can certainly understand your feelings about insurance companies and I don't desire to worsen your pain and suffering, I can say that I had a reasonably good experience with my insurance claim.  The total repairs were about $135,000, my deductible was $16,000 and the difference was paid as a $60,000 advance to commence work, with the balance paid in a timely manner when work was completed.  I was insured by YachtInsure thru Offshore Risk Management (William Coates).  I was on site for 10 of the 16 weeks of the repairs and have over 2000 photos (daily about 50 photos taken by someone I hired to send those photos to me daily when I wasn't there).  It was very reassuring and helpful to be actively involved in the repairs as I was able to advise about the Amel construction techniques and features.  Fortunately the rubber scupper extrusion material was available from Amel or I don't know what we would have done.  The most un-satisfactory part of my insurance dealings is that the same insurer will not now insure the boat for the surveyed value.  I had to buy "Excess Insurance" to bring the value up to the desire limit.  I think the insurers are all reacting (dare I say over-reacting) to their losses in the Caribbean from Irma and Maria.
I sincerely hope that somewhere in the companies you are dealing with there is someone who is honest and will pay your claim, sooner rather than later.

All the best to you,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Alexandre,

I am very sorry to hear about your continued difficulties with your insurer.

As an aside, I now use Y Yachts in UK and their contracts are clear and concise.  If I need to make a claim, I am quite certain they would settle quickly and equitably.  But again, as mentioned before, insurers are always difficult to deal with.

Best of luck,

Jean-Pierre Germain, SY Eleuthera, SM007

On 1 Mar 2019, at 06:56, Alexandre Uster von Baar via Groups.Io <uster@...> wrote:

[...]

Good afternoon Gary,

Thanks for your kind message.
As you know I have always been a big fan of yours and so thankful for the countless, excellent and so precise writings you provided the forum over the years.

I am definitely sorry about the damages you experienced during the Hurricane, but I am glad that you had an overall positive insurance experience, and glad Liahona was repaired properly!

I don’t doubt Helvetia will pay (by french law under I am governed) they have 2 years (so until November this year), but they surely try to get as much interest rate as they can…

Hope we meet one day!

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Insurance updates.
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2019, 12:49 PM

Alexandre:

[...]

John Clark

Hi All,
   Yes, I think everyone is paying more now.  My insurance went from $2600 to $4200, after switching companies when my insurer lost any underwriters for US boats in the Caribbean.

 To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io