Topics

Outhaul shaft removal

eric freedman

I would start by removing the screw in the L shaped part if the outhaul pin of the Anderson winch.

I would then buy a long grade 10 cap screw probably 3-4 inches.

Remove the bolt and washers from the bottom of the shaft . Then screw in the cap screw about an inch . Then try pounding on the head of the bolt with a hand held sledge hammer. We call it a lump hammer.

In my case it didn’t work,

The key was just rusted in place.

I removed the boom turned it upside down on some 4x4 dunnage on the deck

I loaded the shaft down with PB blaster and let it sit for a few days. I then  went to town on it with a full size sledge hammer.

Not exactly a  surgery. It is important to hit the bolt squarely tapping strongly only raising the hammer 3 or 4 inches. Finesse with a sledge hammer..

You don’t want to break off the bolt., or do damage to the gearbox.

Once it moves a few thousands of an inch it will come out easily.

I sanded the rust off the shaft with a dremel tool and used the side of a dremel cut off blade to remove a few thousands of  an inch.

off of the 3 sides of the key. I now  use a liberal amount of never-seez on the shaft every 6 months. A 5 minute job.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018M5T4LU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep the cap screw taped to the can of Never-Seez –convenient place to keep it.

Good luck.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 10:23 AM
To: eric freedman
Subject: Private: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Gearbox greasing

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response, very clear! And yes, I would like to attend to the shaft as well... Just not sure I will be able to take it out. I may have to construct a tool like Jose's to remove it. Mine has probably never been serviced in 19 years so I expect the worst...

I know you are also a big fan of the Jordan drogue and I am quite interested in having one on Carpathia. Can I ask you for your latest advice on how to fit it well with the backstays, and what you found the best setup on the SM. Any picture would help too...

Many thanks,

Guillaume

Jose Venegas <josegvenegas@...>

Guillaume,

Mine was probable in the same state as yours  and I tried several ways to get it out without success.  At the end I used the screw of a purchased extractor and had the rest fabricated.  Be careful to protect the thread at the end of the shaft. I used a socket with external diameter just smaller than the shaft. Here are the pix I took. Feel free to reach me if you need additional explanations

Good luck

Jose

Ipanema SM2K 278
At Constitution Marian in Boston
and waiting to depart to warmer seas.

rossirossix4

Here are some pics of the puller that Amel uses at the Amel Caraibes Center in Martinique.  Albon lent me the tool and it allowed me to remove the shaft with almost no effort.  In anticipation of the event, I had been spraying a bit of CorrosionX down the shaft over a period of several months and routinely flushed it with fresh water when washing down the boat....might have helped--the shaft looked pretty good upon removal.  The bolt that applies pressure to the end of the shaft doesn't actually screw into the shaft, acts more like a prop puller with a pilot hole.   I think the bracket on the Amel SMs had changed over the years.  Ours is a 2004.
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429 Martinique

seagasm

OK, so how difficult to re-assemble it? do you have to use such force?

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

I don't know anyone who had and difficulty with reassembly. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019, 3:35 PM seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

eric freedman

It Should just slide in.
Fair Winds
Eric
SM 376 KImberlite

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 04:35 PM, seagasm wrote:

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

rossirossix4

For some reason the most informative pics did not post.....(again, this is what Albon and Francois cooked up at the Amel Caraibes Center in Martinique) here they are:
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429

eric freedman

That looks like it puts a lot of pressure in the gearbox casting.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2019 5:44 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Outhaul shaft removal

For some reason the most informative pics did not post.....(again, this is what Albon and Francois cooked up at the Amel Caraibes Center in Martinique) here they are:
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429

rossirossix4

Hi Eric-
Well, there's the RIGHT WAY, the WRONG WAY, and the AMEL WAY!  

Regarding the Amel way, according to Albon, plan B was to remove the boom, bring it into the shop and use their press.  If the press placed pressure directly on the slotted disc while pressing the shaft, pressure on the case could be avoided.  It is possible that our habit of frequently spraying just a bit of CorrosionX (regular as well as CorrosionXHD) on the shaft and rinsing the gearbox area with fresh water every time we washed off the boat may have helped--again, removal with the tool was effortless.  Albon suggested Tef-Gel where the metal of the gear box meets the shaft upon reassembly. 
Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI

Jose Venegas <josegvenegas@...>

I agree with Eric
This is pretty much like my tool but the hole in the top is square and large while in mine is circular and of the same size as the shaft. Actually, l should have made it slightly larger than the shaft and for that reason, I had to add a washer as a spacer between the two parts of the top unit.

Gary Silver

Edited

I would like to confirm that I believe that it is important to exert pressure only on the slotted shaft and shaft and not to apply pressure to the gearbox housing or, perhaps even more importantly, the aluminum bracket of the main boom to which the gearbox attaches.  Both of those items are aluminum whereas the shaft and the slotted shaft are steel.  When using any type of pusher/puller it is important that the pressure/counter-pressure be applied only to the steel parts involved and not to the seals, bearings, housings, or other parts lest those parts be damaged or distorted.   For the same reason I recommend agains "hammering" with large hammers against the inner shaft as a method of removal.  

I have found that with annual removal and re-greasing of the outhaul shaft, all that is required is either just pushing the shaft out by hand or at the max very light tapping with a hammer against the bolt that I thread into the threaded lower aspect of the shaft.  In my opinion, re-greasing every 6 months is probably over doing it a bit (no harm but  annual is adequate in my experience). 

All the best to all who own Amel boats. f

Gary S. SIlver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Rico

Gary Silver

Barry & Robyn

If you experience any difficulty during re-assembly just ease the tension of the outhaul line.  That line, if under a great deal of tension, can cock the Anderson Winch "cap" slightly causing a small misalignment with the gearbox slotted shaft.  Usually the rubber grommets that isolate the gearbox from the boom bracket allow for enough movement to allow the well lubricated outhaul shaft to be inserted very easily without having to do this.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Cathy & Guillaume

Thanks José, Bob & Eric, now understand how it is done, and will get the “tool” fabricated after I take the measures later this month. Have also ordered some anti-seize...

Kind regards,

Guillaume

s/v Carpathia III – SM2K #293

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

On 05 MarHi,

Hi Barry

In Shelter Bay Marina Colon, Panama I was addressing this problem. I approached the yard asking for a man with a gas torch to heat it. Instead I got a big man with a big hammer and a puller. The result was a shattered housing. We were 36 hours from transiting the Canal. Fun.  He then used the gas torch as I had asked and it slipped off. So in my opinion beware a big man with a big hammer. I advised everyone after this to regularly remove and lanacote this shaft and avoid this issue forever. If done regularly it slips out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

ch 2019 at 10:35 seagasm <seagasm@...> wrote:

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

seagasm

WOW!, thanks for the reply.

Regards
Barry

Jose Venegas

Yes Gary,
It is essential that the diameter of the hole of the tool be just slightly bigger than the shaft diameter.  This will make the tool sit on the slotted shaft and transmit the force created on the shaft by the pushing screw (the black one in my tool).  The "Amel" tool has a very large square hole which may not sit on the slotted shaft and cause damage of the bearings or the casing.

eric freedman

Being a big man with a big hammer,it really depends on what you hit with the hammer and how much force you use with the hammer. After supporting the boom upside down I gently used the Big Hammer  on just the bolt sticking out from the shaft. By using the weight of the hammer and GENTLY tapping the bolt, the shaft came out easily, Remember I was an engineer and then a jeweler for over 40 years-, I am used to working on things with a very gentle touch. bringing the boom to a shop with a press is essentially doing the same thing as I did with the hammer,

However I would never use a torch on the gearbox.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS wrote:

On 05 MarHi,

Hi Barry

In Shelter Bay Marina Colon, Panama I was addressing this problem. I approached the yard asking for a man with a gas torch to heat it. Instead I got a big man with a big hammer and a puller. The result was a shattered housing. We were 36 hours from transiting the Canal. Fun.  He then used the gas torch as I had asked and it slipped off. So in my opinion beware a big man with a big hammer. I advised everyone after this to regularly remove and lanacote this shaft and avoid this issue forever. If done regularly it slips out easily.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Eric,

I would never suggest you were a big man with a big hammer as I described in my very valid warning. I described the man and hammer provided by the Shelter Bay Marina yard against my wishes. However your move from a small big hammer to a full size sledge hammer would indicate an element of vigorous action as does the word "pounding". Not quite the delicate touch of a jeweler. A gas torch is a very effective and non damaging method of freeing resistant articles, as is heating in an oven. However the boom would not fit in an oven. Gas torches used for this work have a very broad flame and the heat used would not affect the hardening of the gears

Anyway in my case I had stripped the gearbox of most of its components.

Kind Regards

Danny 

On 07 March 2019 at 12:33 eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Being a big man with a big hammer,it really depends on what you hit with the hammer and how much force you use with the hammer. After supporting the boom upside down I gently used the Big Hammer  on just the bolt sticking out from the shaft. By using the weight of the hammer and GENTLY tapping the bolt, the shaft came out easily, Remember I was an engineer and then a jeweler for over 40 years-, I am used to working on things with a very gentle touch. bringing the boom to a shop with a press is essentially doing the same thing as I did with the hammer,

However I would never use a torch on the gearbox.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 03:16 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS wrote:

On 05 MarHi,

Hi Barry

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Kind Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM#171