propeller Zinc

Alessandro Gennai <agennai@...>

Hi folks,
I'm happy owner of  Supermaramu 2000 redline  #443  ; someone could tell me the right zinc for the propeller
thank you
Alessandro
GRAND CRU #443

Mark Erdos

If you have the AutoProp H6 then this is correct: https://www.boatzincs.com/autoprop_specs_H6.html

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Santa Marta, Colombia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Alessandro Gennai via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:00 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] propeller Zinc

Hi folks,
I'm happy owner of  Supermaramu 2000 redline  #443  ; someone could tell me the right zinc for the propeller
thank you
Alessandro
GRAND CRU #443

Edited

Alessandro,

When your SM was new, it had no zinc on the propellor. It had a red plastic cap (see attached and look in your Amel Manual).

There are two sides of the issue "for and against zincs on the AutoProp." Henri Amel was against. AutoProp was initially for, now neutral. I am with Henri, but that does not make us right!

I attached a photo of a page from my book named "AutoProp Zinc." 

I believe this is a decision you should make after understanding both sides of the issue.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM Alessandro Gennai via Groups.Io <agennai=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi folks,
thank you
Alessandro
GRAND CRU #443

Alessandro,

The photo did not work. I am not sure why, but attached is a PDF

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 8:33 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alessandro,

When your SM was new, it had no zinc on the propellor. It had a red plastic cap (see attached and look in your Amel Manual).

There are two sides of the issue "for and against zincs on the AutoProp." Henri Amel was against. AutoProp was initially for, now neutral. I am with Henri, but that does not make us right!

I attached a photo of a page from my book named "AutoProp Zinc." 

I believe this is a decision you should make after understanding both sides of the issue.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:59 PM Alessandro Gennai via Groups.Io <agennai=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi folks,
thank you
Alessandro
GRAND CRU #443

alessandro gennai <agennai@...>

If I understood properly you suggest don’t use zinc in the propeller, isn’t it?

Alessandro,

All Santorins, Super Maramus, 54s, and 55s were delivered new from Amel with a plastic cap. They were all red, except possibly late model 54s and all 55s which were black.

The Amel bonding system was designed to protect the AutoProp propeller, which is made by Bruntons. For years, Bruntons said to install a zinc anode on the AutoProp propeller. Recently, Bruntons agrees with Henri that the Amel bonding system is better than the anode on the AutoProp propeller.

There are some Amel owners that install the zinc.

If I owned your beautiful Super Maramu, it would have the original plastic cap and not the zinc anode on the AutoProp propeller.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:41 AM via Groups.Io <agennai=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
If I understood properly  you suggest don’t use zinc in the propeller, isn’t it?

Craig Briggs

Point well taken, Bill, although my Santorin was delivered with a fixed 3-blade prob with a conical bronze nut holding it onto the prop shaft. I don't think Amel put Auto-props on the Santorins as the shaft generator was part of the design and needs a fixed prop (or locking feathering one).
Cheers, Craig Briggs SN68

Craig,

Correct, I meant all Amels delivered with an AutoProp. Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 1:31 PM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Point well taken, Bill, although my Santorin was delivered with a fixed 3-blade prob with a conical bronze nut holding it onto the prop shaft. I don't think Amel put Auto-props on the Santorins as the shaft generator was part of the design and needs a fixed prop (or locking feathering one).
Cheers, Craig Briggs SN68

Paul Stascavage

When we purchased RK she was equipped with the zinc on the auto prop and the bonding system was tested and intact. A short time after moving aboard, I noticed the main bonding wire had become detached from the rudder post and I corrected this immediately. We hauled for paint no too long afterwards and I was glad we had that zinc on the prop. Approximately 25 percent was gone.

I have no idea how long that bonding wire was disconnected but I don’t think it could have been much more than a couple months. In my opinion I think the prop zinc is a good backup for ‘just in case’ situations.

All the Best,

Paul Stascavage
S/V Rita Kathryn SM #466

RitaKathryn.com

Currently Cruising Bahamas