Topics

Companionway Door Seal - New Photos Album & Photos

Gary Silver

Hi all:
I just posted a series of photographs showing the replacement of my companionway door seal.  I did this about 4 years ago.  I have owned the boat since new and the original Amel seal began failing at about year 10 and by year 13 demanded attention.  I was un-successful in obtaining original Amel material (no longer available).  I couldn't find anything in the automotive industry that I found suitable, so I fabricated my own.  I am an aircraft mechanic and almost daily utilize red silicone sheet rubber for engine baffling.  It is very durable and doesn't deform with fuel, oil, heat etc.  It has held up well for the last 4 years.  I fabricated from teak an obtuse triangular shim to hold the silicone seal material in place against the door in a squeegee like fashion.  The photos are in the album entitled:
"Modifications - Companionway Door Seal".  I'll try and post a dimensional drawing of the shim and a source for the seal material soon.

Hope this may of be of use to some.

Gary S Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  #335
Puerto Del Rey Marina,  Puerto Rico

James Alton

Gary,

    I just went through the photo albums that you updated for us and it is such an improvement over the old system.    Because of the organization, I was able to find many useful photos pertaining to my boat and projects.  Thank you for all of your efforts in organizing the photos and for your other contributions as well.

    I badly need to change what may well be the original slider seal on Sueno’s slider hatch so I will definitely be going over in detail the seal you created for the slider out of silicone sheet referred to in your post below.

Thanks again!

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 12, 2019, at 12:17 AM, Gary Silver via Groups.Io <garysilver@...> wrote:

[...]

This is a perfect way to replace the door seal/squeegee. I am very impressed! I assume the teak piece could also be machined from stainless steel, or aluminum?

It seems to me that there has to be some entrepreneur, somewhere who could make up about 100+ of these and sell them to Amel owners. As the SN, SM and 54 continue to age, and the fact that parts are not always available, finding the best replacements is going to be an increasing challenge. I wish that I could find the guy, with tools available, and the patience to deal with us to do fabricate some of these things. In fact, if we find that guy, we should publish his information here.

Which reminds me, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> has done this for hard-to-get parts such as the SM2k Bow Thruster control PCB and the genoa car adjustable traveller block for SMs (Jib Car Pulley). Mark, I know you are reading.😀

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM James Alton via Groups.Io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

Nice Job,

Where do I get the aircraft silicone rubber in the USA?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Eric:

I purchase most of my supplies from Aircraft Spruce  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/siliconecowlseals.php

This is what I used:  The fiberglass insert is really fiberglass woven material laminated into the silicone for added durability.  I worried a little bit about this as water can wick into the cut edge but so far not a problem.  It also comes without the fiberglass and it would probably be ok as well.  I will be aboard in about 5 days and I will see if I can track down my dimensioned drawing of the wedge I had cut from teak.

Silicone 1/8 " x 3 " x width of the door seal.  PN 05-00771-3   $5.35/ft.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

eric freedman

Hi Gary,

Thanks a lot.

Where is Liahona now?

Fair Winds

Eric

This is what I used:  The fiberglass insert is really fiberglass woven material laminated into the silicone for added durability.  I worried a little bit about this as water can wick into the cut edge but so far not a problem.  It also comes without the fiberglass and it would probably be ok as well.  I will be aboard in about 5 days and I will see if I can track down my dimensioned drawing of the wedge I had cut from teak.

Silicone 1/8 " x 3 " x width of the door seal.  PN 05-00771-3   $5.35/ft.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

eric freedman

Did you ever find the drain hole in the companionway box??

Fair Winds

Eric

This is what I used:  The fiberglass insert is really fiberglass woven material laminated into the silicone for added durability.  I worried a little bit about this as water can wick into the cut edge but so far not a problem.  It also comes without the fiberglass and it would probably be ok as well.  I will be aboard in about 5 days and I will see if I can track down my dimensioned drawing of the wedge I had cut from teak.

Silicone 1/8 " x 3 " x width of the door seal.  PN 05-00771-3   $5.35/ft.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117

HA! There's a drain hole in the companionway box?! I was just in a big storm in Bodrum two days ago and that box filled up with water! I mopped it out with a towel and was wondering if there was a hole down there. Could NOT find it. I imagined that Henri did not want another hole in his boat, but in my mind I started to design a drain hole with a J-pipe or something... Anyway, IS there supposed to be a hole there?
-Bode

Gary Silver

Hi Bode:

See message # 42837 posted by Olivier Beaute (if you don't know who he is please ask).  According to Olivier there are two drain holes in each box on all models from the Sharki to the 54.  The drain holes are small and easily plugged by debris. I suppose it is possible they were overlooked at the factory but I doubt it.  The door seal, if well maintained, should prevent large quantities of water in this box but what little gets in there should drain into the engine room bilge.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

James Alton

Steven,
  My boat which is the Maramu model has two drain holes, one at each end of the box.  They are drill as far outboard as possible and angle downward as they pass through the engine room bulkhead.  Both holes were 100 percent plugged and my box filled up washing the boat so I went looking.  The holes were filled with dirt and only about 1/4" in diameter but once opened the box drains.  I am not sure if your boat will have these holes or not.  Mine look to be original since they would be impossible to drill in the current location without some disassembly.

James
Sv Sueno
Maramu #220

On Apr 9, 2019 9:23 AM, Steven Bode <steve@...> wrote:
HA! There's a drain hole in the companionway box?! I was just in a big storm in Bodrum two days ago and that box filled up with water! I mopped it out with a towel and was wondering if there was a hole down there. Could NOT find it. I imagined that Henri did not want another hole in his boat, but in my mind I started to design a drain hole with a J-pipe or something... Anyway, IS there supposed to be a hole there?
-Bode

Steven Bode - SV Intention 1994-SM#117

Thanks, everybody! I'll clear those drain holes at the bottom of the companionway board box when I get back to the boat (say THAT 10 times fast). Going to make a "Gary Flapper", too!
-Bode