Topics

Discharge manifold repair/replacement


Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Hi all,

I have a hole in my water discharge manifold which is currently bound with some bicycle inner tube as a temporary repair. Ideally I'd like to replace it with a stainless one but here in Grenada I cannot find anywhere to get metric stainless tubing. It looks like the existing one is made of brass - can someone confirm? Perhaps I can just get the hole welded up  - any advise on this? I am a bit worried in case the hole gets bigger or others develop as the boat is now 11 years old.

Cheers,
Paul

Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


 

Paul,

I am not clear...Volvo, Onan, something else?

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:04 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a hole in my water discharge manifold which is currently bound with some bicycle inner tube as a temporary repair. Ideally I'd like to replace it with a stainless one but here in Grenada I cannot find anywhere to get metric stainless tubing. It looks like the existing one is made of brass - can someone confirm? Perhaps I can just get the hole welded up  - any advise on this? I am a bit worried in case the hole gets bigger or others develop as the boat is now 11 years old.

Cheers,
Paul

Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Ah, sorry, it's the one that takes the bilge, fridge and water maker discharges.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


 

Paul,

I think that you are describing the manifold which I circled in red below. If this is what you are describing, I suggest a temporary repair and ordering a new part from SAV@.... For a temporary repair, clean the area of the holel and use 2-part epoxy. I believe that this is a custom part made by Amel and made out of copper. I notice in my photo that it appears to NOT be connected to the Amel Bonding system. If yours is the same and not connected, I suggest connecting it to the nearby ball valve which I see a yellow/green bonding wire attached. Let me know if your copper manifold is NOT connected (bonded).

image.png

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970



On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:47 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:
Ah, sorry, it's the one that takes the bilge, fridge and water maker discharges.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown
 

Bill,

That's the one, and yes mine is connected to the bonding system.

I have no experience using epoxy for repairs but was thinking about taking it to a welder to repair the hole - would this in your opinion be a workable solution?

You mention ordering a new part from SAV@... - sorry, don't know who that is.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


 

I think a welder would repair with lead, which will be fine. Be sure to inspect for any other corrosion or electrolysis. And be sure that the copper is unpainted and shiny where the bonding wire connects. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019, 11:38 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:
Bill,

That's the one, and yes mine is connected to the bonding system.

I have no experience using epoxy for repairs but was thinking about taking it to a welder to repair the hole - would this in your opinion be a workable solution?

You mention ordering a new part from SAV@... - sorry, don't know who that is.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
 

Hi Paul. This is the perfect type of repair for a hand moldable epoxy. The one I use is emerkit from my local plumber. There are others available from chandleries  It will adhere to wet surfaces. It is in two parts. Take equal quantities of each and work them thoroughly together and apply 

Works very well and lasts well.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 14 March 2019 at 05:38 Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:

Bill,

That's the one, and yes mine is connected to the bonding system.

I have no experience using epoxy for repairs but was thinking about taking it to a welder to repair the hole - would this in your opinion be a workable solution?

You mention ordering a new part from SAV@... - sorry, don't know who that is.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello Danny,

Thread drift....

Nice to meet you this morning.

Enjoy your northerly sail.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM 007
Opua, NZ


On 14 Mar 2019, at 11:15, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Paul. This is the perfect type of repair for a hand moldable epoxy. The one I use is emerkit from my local plumber. There are others available from chandleries  It will adhere to wet surfaces. It is in two parts. Take equal quantities of each and work them thoroughly together and apply 

 SailWorks very well and lasts well.

Regards

Ce to Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 14 March 2019 at 05:38 Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:

Bill,

That's the one, and yes mine is connected to the bonding system.

I have no experience using epoxy for repairs but was thinking about taking it to a welder to repair the hole - would this in your opinion be a workable solution?

You mention ordering a new part from SAV@... - sorry, don't know who that is.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98


rossirossix4
 
Edited

Hi Paul,
This may apply although it involves the distribution manifold and might be of general interest.  When I was in the Amel shop in Le Marin (not that far from you), this caught my eye.  François, who had fabricated it explained that it was for an Amel 54 and I believe he said it was €800.  Looked like a really great idea to me....I took a pic and made a mental note to think about making up one back in the States using Bill's dimensions.  (For you SM owners) he did indicate to me that he would consider fabricating one for an SM.  Gotta love the individual ball valves. Plus acid cleaner possibilities....


Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI


Mark McGovern
 
Edited

Paul,

sav@ amel dot fr is the email address to use when you want to order parts directly from Amel in La Rochelle.  The department is called "Service après-vente", managed by Thierry BILLARD and his assistant is Mrs. Maud TOUILLET.  Generally, Maud will answer your emails and her English is excellent.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA


eric freedman
 

Hi ,

Do you have any idea as to who makes these fittings?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of rossirossix4
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:11 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Discharge manifold repair/replacement

 

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Paul,
This may apply although it involves the distribution manifold and might be of general interest.  When I was in the Amel shop in Le Marin (not that far from you), this caught my eye.  François, who had fabricated it explained that it was for an Amel 54 and I believe he said it was €800.  Looked like a really great idea to me....I took a pic and made a mental note to think about making up one back in the States using Bill's dimensions.  (For you SM owners) he did indicate to me that he would consider fabricating one for an SM.  Gotta love the individual ball valves. Plus acid cleaner possibilities....


Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI