Topics

Anode wear

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

I just had my rudder anodes changed after having been on for 9 months. Of the two that came off, one had normal corrosion, probably about 20-30% corroded, but the other one had virtually no corrosion at all. The diver did say that it was not on very tight - would that be the cause or should I be concerned about a bad connection somewhere? I have attached a photo.

I must also say that this new forum is a vast improvement in the Yahoo one, so well done to those who implemented it.

--
Cheers
Paul

Paul,

In my experience, the closest anode to the protected devices will dissolve more than the last.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 9:09 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <yafohi@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I just had my rudder anodes changed after having been on for 9 months. Of the two that came off, one had normal corrosion, probably about 20-30% corroded, but the other one had virtually no corrosion at all. The diver did say that it was not on very tight - would that be the cause or should I be concerned about a bad connection somewhere? I have attached a photo.

I must also say that this new forum is a vast improvement in the Yahoo one, so well done to those who implemented it.

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Gary Silver

Edited

Hi Paul, Bill has seen a lot more Amel's than I have, but for what it is worth, on my SM 53 the anodes always seem to erode equally.  Knowing that the anodes are part of an electrical circuit I am careful to always clean the bolts, and the installed anode contact areas and assure adequate torque of the bolts (not overkill so as to strip things but snug).  As long as you are seeing some anode erosion then you are probably safe but at your next haul out it would be worth checking the continuity (resistance) between each anode bolt (i.e. side to side) and between each bolt individually relative to the cluster of bonding wires at the bilge bonding strap.

Basically I would continue to monitor this and diagnose further during the next haul out.

Best,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335

Scott SV Tengah

Have you checked for continuity between the two anodes? I had a similar problem and in my case, it was easily solved: The bolt holding on the starboard rudder anode was too short, preventing a good connection. I replaced it with a slightly longer one and now both anodes wear evenly. The rudder, as you probably know, is hollow, so you don't have to be precise. Can't recall the bolt length but I literally just took the old one and went to a chandlery and got the next longest one available.

Scott
Tengah A54 #69

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Thanks to all for your good advice - I will check at the next haulout.

--
Cheers
Paul