Topics

K1 & K2 Location - Amel 54

Faial Livingston

Hello,

I've been trying to find where K1 & K2 are located on the Amel 54.

Unfortunately I am unable to do the check by finding the sound they make when switching off shore power and neither the second option with the Generator.

Could someone please share where exactly these automatic switches are in the Engine Room!

Best regards,
Faial Livingston
Cataya - 046 - Amel 54

Did you look at electrical drawings of the 54 in APPENDIX 4 of your manual. I don't have a copy of this...do you?

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM Faial Livingston <flivingston@...> wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to find where K1 & K2 are located on the Amel 54.

Unfortunately I am unable to do the check by finding the sound they make when switching off shore power and neither the second option with the Generator.

Could someone please share where exactly these automatic switches are in the Engine Room!

Best regards,
Faial Livingston
Cataya - 046 - Amel 54

Beaute Olivier

Hello Faial,

these automatic relays are located in a grey box, at aft top portside of the engine room, behind the 230V blower cooling the genset. The box is labeled "QUAI/GE/CONVERTISSEUR"
If you don't have the option of a 2.5kVA inverter feeding the 230V outlets network, then there is only one relay, and the box is labeled "QUAI/GE"

Good luck in your search.

Olivier

On Sunday, March 17, 2019, 3:57:55 PM GMT+1, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Did you look at electrical drawings of the 54 in APPENDIX 4 of your manual. I don't have a copy of this...do you?

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM Faial Livingston <flivingston@...> wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to find where K1 & K2 are located on the Amel 54.

Unfortunately I am unable to do the check by finding the sound they make when switching off shore power and neither the second option with the Generator.

Could someone please share where exactly these automatic switches are in the Engine Room!

Best regards,
Faial Livingston
Cataya - 046 - Amel 54

Jamie Wendell

Faial, you probably have only the K1 switch. It is located in a white box mounted on the wall behind the generator. On my 54, K1 automatically switches between shore power and generator feed. K2 is installed if you have a 120V transformer for use in the US.
Hope that helps.
Jamie
Phantom A54

I uploaded 2 photos that will help you at: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=87146

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Beaute Olivier

Hi Jamie,

in the original AMEL option for a 2.5kVA inverter, K2 is allowing the inverter to feed the 230V circuits only if generator is OFF and shore power cord is disconnected.

In case a 120V/230V step up transformer is installed, its 230V is not delivered through an automatic relay but through a big plug located at top front bulkhead of the engine room. You change the plug (feeding K1) from "230V quai" outlet to "230V transformer" outlet.

Olivier

On Sunday, March 17, 2019, 4:58:37 PM GMT+1, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I uploaded 2 photos that will help you at: https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=87146

Bill Rouse
Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Faial Livingston

Thank you all for the very quick answer!

@Bill: Yes I did look at the drawings and have made pictures of these. Which would you like? From the pictures you have uploaded ours is rather different, have uploaded to the link you supplied.

@Olivier: Ok that is the one then! I have found it but did not know it was it, attached is the image of what we have and there is nothing connected to it. Do not know when and which electrician has circumvented it. The original inverter has been replaced with a Victron unit.

@Jamie: We have the converter too! As seen on the image.

Next actions: Will have a look in the coming days and see if the GE has too been rewired to somewhere else.

Jamie Wendell

Thanks Olivier, I see that on the original schematics. I never had the inverter or the transformer, but I do see what you are saying. I installed a 4kVA inverter and switch it through a manual switch. That allows me to have 50hz power to the wall plugs and microwave when I am using US shore power (60hz) for the battery chargers and the AC units. I also installed an isolation transformer, which does the same function as the plug you are referencing through a dedicated receptacle on the transom, and it also isolates the ground to prevent galvanic corrosion from faulty shore power supplies.
Jamie

Faial Livingston

Hi Bill,

Have attached all the drawings in reference to electrical that I have been looking at to the folder you created.

Regards,
Faial
Cataya - Amel 54