Topics

Lee Sails or equivalent

smiles bernard

Hello

Does anyone have any experience of Lee Sails?

We are considering them as an almost half price alternative for UK manufactured sails.

Normally we get what we pay to a degree but the price difference is enough for me to pause and consider.

Our Maramu has the single spreader isomat masts without furler ( just slab reefing ) so reasonably simple sails

I am being quoted for fully battened with cars that go into the mast luff box - we have them currently and they work ok.

Any thoughts or experience most welcome

Many thanks

Miles
Maramu 162

Miles,

Some people who have had experience with Lee Sails may give a favorable answer because the Lee Sails they received were much better than the worn sails they replaced and the sails the Lee Sails were cheaper than anything else they could buy. However, that experience is no basis for comparison to other sails made by other sailmakers. Regarding Lee Sails, I have seen their sails installed on 2 SMs. They were not only cut the wrong size, but they were the worst made new sails I have ever seen...and I have seen plenty.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello

Does anyone have any experience of Lee Sails?

We are considering them as an almost half price alternative for UK manufactured sails.

Normally we get what we pay to a degree  but the price difference is enough for me to pause and consider.

Our Maramu has the single spreader isomat masts without furler ( just slab reefing ) so reasonably simple sails

I am being quoted for fully battened with cars that go into the mast luff box - we have them currently and they work ok.

Any thoughts or experience most welcome

Many thanks

Miles
Maramu 162

Ian Townsend

We've been very happy with our new TriRadial Cut Pro Radial Genoa made by Q Sails, part of Bill's Yacht School discount program. Great product and an even better price.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Exumas, Bahamas

On Mar 18, 2019, at 3:16 PM, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello

Does anyone have any experience of Lee Sails?

We are considering them as an almost half price alternative for UK manufactured sails.

Normally we get what we pay to a degree but the price difference is enough for me to pause and consider.

Our Maramu has the single spreader isomat masts without furler ( just slab reefing ) so reasonably simple sails

I am being quoted for fully battened with cars that go into the mast luff box - we have them currently and they work ok.

Any thoughts or experience most welcome

Many thanks

Miles
Maramu 162

Craig Briggs

Miles,
By "UK manufactured" sails, may I assume you mean United Kingdom, not the brand "UK Sailmakers". We've had two sets done by UK Sailmakers, one at their New York loft (actually made in China and finished at the NY loft) and one at their loft in Marmaris, Turkey (actually made at the loft in Marmaris). All have been excellent and very well priced.
Craig SN68

smiles bernard

Thanks very much all
Sounds like I might try a few alternatives to Lee
Craig - yes I did mean uk manufactured. The quote was from Crusader who I think are good and made out as yet unused new Genoa.
Thanks for the tip about ‘Uk sailmakers’
I’ll drop them a line

Many thanks
Miles

On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:24, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Miles,
By "UK manufactured" sails, may I assume you mean United Kingdom, not the brand "UK Sailmakers". We've had two sets done by UK Sailmakers, one at their New York loft (actually made in China and finished at the NY loft) and one at their loft in Marmaris, Turkey (actually made at the loft in Marmaris). All have been excellent and very well priced.
Craig SN68

James Alton

Miles,

   I have had two sails made by Q-Sails in Hydranet.  The pricing and communication is excellent.  The quality is plenty good for cruising and the sails were heavily reinforced.      We plan to order 2 more sails next season from Q-Sails to complete our inventory.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 18, 2019, at 9:22 PM, smiles bernard via Groups.Io <smilesbernard@...> wrote:

Thanks very much all
Sounds like I might try a few alternatives to Lee
Craig - yes I did mean uk manufactured. The quote was from Crusader who I think are good and made out as yet unused new Genoa.
Thanks for the tip about ‘Uk sailmakers’
I’ll drop them a line

Many thanks
Miles

On 18 Mar 2019, at 17:24, Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris@...> wrote:

Miles,
By "UK manufactured" sails, may I assume you mean United Kingdom, not the brand "UK Sailmakers". We've had two sets done by UK Sailmakers, one at their New York loft (actually made in China and finished at the NY loft) and one at their loft in Marmaris, Turkey (actually made at the loft in Marmaris). All have been excellent and very well priced.
Craig SN68

Massimo Vecchietti

I had a complete set of sails for my old Maramu with great satisfaction and now for my SM I have Lee sail mainsail,mizzen, genoa and gennaker and I am very satisfied too.
Max
SM Patchouli  II n° 84

Il giorno mar 19 mar 2019 alle ore 02:43 James Alton via Groups.Io <lokiyawl2=aol.com@groups.io> ha scritto:
[...]

JEFFREY KRAUS

I second the Q sails recommendation.
When I replaced my headsail furler, I had a rigger from a respected sailmaking company aboard to help with the installation. He was quite impressed with the workmanship and the price.

Jeff Spirit Amel 54 #14

On Mar 18, 2019, at 3:16 PM, smiles bernard via Groups.Io wrote:

Hello

Does anyone have any experience of Lee Sails?

We are considering them as an almost half price alternative for UK manufactured sails.
Normally we get what we pay to a degree but the price difference is enough for me to pause and consider.
Our Maramu has the single spreader isomat masts without furler ( just slab reefing ) so reasonably simple sails

I am being quoted for fully battened with cars that go into the mast luff box - we have them currently and they work ok.
Any thoughts or experience most welcome

Many thanks

Miles
Maramu 162

Miles

I have also had two sails made by Q-Sails in Hydranet for my SM, and I am very pleased with them after 5000 miles.

And back in the US, I have a Q-Sails new main for a Maramu.  The sail belongs to Q-Sails and I have it due to a series of errors and customs fees difficulties.  If anyone is interested in a new Hydranet sail, please contact me or Q-Sails directly.  I hate see a lovely sail going to waste in my basement.

Regards to all,

Miles B  S/Y Ladybug, sm 216 Le Marin, Martinique

sbmesasailor

Hi Miles,

I had Lee Sails make my replacements before heading out on our round the world adventure.  The good news is they were cheap and they wore well (still being used after 8 years of exposure).  The bad news is as Bill has reported, they were cut poorly and needed modification upon installation.  I was installing a lot of other critical equipment on the boat at the time and couldn't justify properly made/custom made sails.  I will not use Lee Sails for my next replacement.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

smiles bernard

Hi Dennis
Thanks very much for this information
Very helpful and clarifies my thinking
I now have good quotes for Q and UK sailmakers
So thanks for everyone’s help - very much appreciated

All the best
Miles

On 19 Mar 2019, at 13:09, sbmesasailor via Groups.Io <sbmesasailor@...> wrote:

Hi Miles,

I had Lee Sails make my replacements before heading out on our round the world adventure.  The good news is they were cheap and they wore well (still being used after 8 years of exposure).  The bad news is as Bill has reported, they were cut poorly and needed modification upon installation.  I was installing a lot of other critical equipment on the boat at the time and couldn't justify properly made/custom made sails.  I will not use Lee Sails for my next replacement.

Dennis Johns
Libertad
Maramu #121

Hajé Weisfelt

Hi Miles,

I bought mine 10 years ago. Als plain slab reefs. Saved more then 70% compared to Elstrom or Gaastra. G1 and Mizzen are now bit worn, but still in shape. Main, g2, jib, storm jib still as new. Level of communication to customer was great. I wanted the stainless wire in the reefs and they didn't understand this at first. Several photos and drawing further they said oké and four weeks later I had my sails.
Still 100% satisfied.
Cheers, Hajé
Sharki 104, Charmed II, Herkingen, Holland