Topics

locked Paying for our group through Advertising

Duncan Hagemeyer

I'm having a tough time learning how to follow and reply to the conversation.  This follow-up is directed to Ian's comment.  He has a great point on having a surveyor that could be  "certified" as an Amel expert that is located over in Europe and here in the western hemisphere.  Again I am not suggesting that this program should be the judge and jury of what any particular boat is worth.  All surveys are based on many factors.

I will offer this though...some might call it a criticism.  For years I have sort of followed the exchanges on the Amel site.  It occurred to me that this site, if viewed by a prospective buyer - would come away thinking that something is always going wrong with the Amel boats.  Fix this, repair that, and banter about price and who can be trusted to fix it.  Oliver in Guadeloupe did work for me and I found him polite, competent and did what he said he would do.  I should have rewarded him with a Kudo Mon...good job on the web.  I ran into others that were just in it for the buck and shove you off the dock thinking they will not see you again.  I would suggest that the site include more of the good days and good experiences we have had and reward our group with some positive thought that make others want to be an Amel owner..  I personally think the Caribbean has changed and those that are competent and want to earn the right to service our Amel's should also have our site as a forum for selling their services.  Advertising is worthless unless the vendor does more than pay a fee that maintains our website.  It's worse than worthless it cost a boat owner money if they go to the wrong vendor and get screwed.  OK....unless I have an epiphany I'm done.  I do hope that the Amel'ians' grow and prosper and I hope that one day I make one last sail around the Caribbean.  Fair winds to all of you.

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:40 AM SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
Actually I just noticed that Gary W has put this idea more eloquently and comprehensively than I.
i agree with Gary.
Dean
SY STELLA
A54-154

--
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road

1-615-478-6006

1-406-848-9866  Ashling Ranch

Dean Gillies

Actually I just noticed that Gary W has put this idea more eloquently and comprehensively than I.
i agree with Gary.
Dean
SY STELLA
A54-154

Dean Gillies

Interesting thread.
Personally, I do not like the idea of advertising by a sponsor.  With sponsorship, particularly narrow sponsorship, comes the expectation of the sponsor (sooner or later), which is not necessarily unmanageable, but inevitably causes strife.

Maybe the group could consider a more broadly based revenue stream such as a ‘directory’, where a range of individual suppliers can be listed in return for a small fee, which cumulatively pays the groups.io site fees.  This model is possibly less likely to suffer from the demands of a single large sponsor, may be more robust in terms of cash-flow  and would possibly be more useful to owners.

Bill, are we considering the implementation of this revenue generation idea immediately?

Dean
SY STELLA
A54-154

Nicolas Klene

Hi Duncan
I like your idea very much !
I hope to be a future Amelian soon , I am actively looking for a boat, a Super Maramu, unfortunately not a 54 !
It is difficult to assess the price of a boat , not knowing how she has been looked after, and brokers have been for similar age boats , offering wildly different prices !!
The services of a good trustworthy surveyor are essential , but if the boat was referenced in the “ Amel community” it could be a help , where buyers like me could ask questions and find answers before selecting which boat the surveyor will inspect  !

Duncan Hagemeyer

Thanks,  but I should have added "totally open to discussion....and other ideas".

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:31 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think Duncan’s idea has a lot of merit.

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)
On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:26, Duncan Hagemeyer <wdhagemeyer@...> wrote:

I have a suggestion.  I own hull #9 Amel 54.  I have not bee very active over the years in this group as my boat is very lightly used.  Now health issues have me considering selling her.  I have seen the passion from the Ameld'ians' and their love for this great brand.  Why not create a listing service for boats that are on the market.  I'm not talking about cutting out broker/dealers per se.  They can provide a great service during the sales transaction process.  But there is no group that will ever sell the Amel brand better than the owners of Amel boats.  All boats eventually get sold and all new buyers need to have a place where they can get great - honest - knowledgeable advice on all the issues related to used Amel yachts.  I would gladly list a boat with a broker with the stipulation that a small percent goes t the Amel Owners Group.  Frankly, I'd rather pay another owner a fee if they matched up my boat with a new owner.  Another bit of advice....the Amel is a unique boat and there really does need to be an unbiased surveyor that can assess an Amel that is offered for sale.  Since  I was diagnosed with bladder cancer I have had 2 surveys done and the valuation was over 20% variation.  Some of the fees collected by the Amel Owners Group could be used to fund a qualified surveyor.  As a seller I would love to have this person assess my boat and advice what needs to be done to bring the boat to a standard that the next owner knows precisely what they are buying and why they need to pay a price.

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Agree with below.

I also would have no problem chipping in but that is now and maybe a only group of us willing to do so.

We don’t know what happens 5 or 10 years down the road; although Bill paid for the next 5 years 😊.

As far as the revenue: I leave that up to the guys now managing the site. They are capable enough; no need for me to micromanage in addition to managing/maintaining my boat.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

March 19, 2019 08:44:48