Topics

locked Paying for our group through Advertising

Duncan Hagemeyer

I'm having a tough time learning how to follow and reply to the conversation.  This follow-up is directed to Ian's comment.  He has a great point on having a surveyor that could be  "certified" as an Amel expert that is located over in Europe and here in the western hemisphere.  Again I am not suggesting that this program should be the judge and jury of what any particular boat is worth.  All surveys are based on many factors.  

I will offer this though...some might call it a criticism.  For years I have sort of followed the exchanges on the Amel site.  It occurred to me that this site, if viewed by a prospective buyer - would come away thinking that something is always going wrong with the Amel boats.  Fix this, repair that, and banter about price and who can be trusted to fix it.  Oliver in Guadeloupe did work for me and I found him polite, competent and did what he said he would do.  I should have rewarded him with a Kudo Mon...good job on the web.  I ran into others that were just in it for the buck and shove you off the dock thinking they will not see you again.  I would suggest that the site include more of the good days and good experiences we have had and reward our group with some positive thought that make others want to be an Amel owner..  I personally think the Caribbean has changed and those that are competent and want to earn the right to service our Amel's should also have our site as a forum for selling their services.  Advertising is worthless unless the vendor does more than pay a fee that maintains our website.  It's worse than worthless it cost a boat owner money if they go to the wrong vendor and get screwed.  OK....unless I have an epiphany I'm done.  I do hope that the Amel'ians' grow and prosper and I hope that one day I make one last sail around the Caribbean.  Fair winds to all of you. 

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 1:40 AM SY STELLA <stella@...> wrote:
Actually I just noticed that Gary W has put this idea more eloquently and comprehensively than I.
i agree with Gary.
Dean
SY STELLA
A54-154

--
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

1-406-848-9866  Ashling Ranch

Dean Gillies

Actually I just noticed that Gary W has put this idea more eloquently and comprehensively than I.
i agree with Gary.
Dean
SY STELLA
A54-154

Dean Gillies

Interesting thread. 
Personally, I do not like the idea of advertising by a sponsor.  With sponsorship, particularly narrow sponsorship, comes the expectation of the sponsor (sooner or later), which is not necessarily unmanageable, but inevitably causes strife.

Maybe the group could consider a more broadly based revenue stream such as a ‘directory’, where a range of individual suppliers can be listed in return for a small fee, which cumulatively pays the groups.io site fees.  This model is possibly less likely to suffer from the demands of a single large sponsor, may be more robust in terms of cash-flow  and would possibly be more useful to owners.

Bill, are we considering the implementation of this revenue generation idea immediately? 

Dean
SY STELLA 
A54-154

Nicolas Klene

Hi Duncan
I like your idea very much !
I hope to be a future Amelian soon , I am actively looking for a boat, a Super Maramu, unfortunately not a 54 !
It is difficult to assess the price of a boat , not knowing how she has been looked after, and brokers have been for similar age boats , offering wildly different prices !!
The services of a good trustworthy surveyor are essential , but if the boat was referenced in the “ Amel community” it could be a help , where buyers like me could ask questions and find answers before selecting which boat the surveyor will inspect  !

Duncan Hagemeyer

Thanks,  but I should have added "totally open to discussion....and other ideas".  

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 7:31 AM ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I think Duncan’s idea has a lot of merit.

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)
On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:26, Duncan Hagemeyer <wdhagemeyer@...> wrote:

I have a suggestion.  I own hull #9 Amel 54.  I have not bee very active over the years in this group as my boat is very lightly used.  Now health issues have me considering selling her.  I have seen the passion from the Ameld'ians' and their love for this great brand.  Why not create a listing service for boats that are on the market.  I'm not talking about cutting out broker/dealers per se.  They can provide a great service during the sales transaction process.  But there is no group that will ever sell the Amel brand better than the owners of Amel boats.  All boats eventually get sold and all new buyers need to have a place where they can get great - honest - knowledgeable advice on all the issues related to used Amel yachts.  I would gladly list a boat with a broker with the stipulation that a small percent goes t the Amel Owners Group.  Frankly, I'd rather pay another owner a fee if they matched up my boat with a new owner.  Another bit of advice....the Amel is a unique boat and there really does need to be an unbiased surveyor that can assess an Amel that is offered for sale.  Since  I was diagnosed with bladder cancer I have had 2 surveys done and the valuation was over 20% variation.  Some of the fees collected by the Amel Owners Group could be used to fund a qualified surveyor.  As a seller I would love to have this person assess my boat and advice what needs to be done to bring the boat to a standard that the next owner knows precisely what they are buying and why they need to pay a price.  

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:46 AM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Agree with below.

I also would have no problem chipping in but that is now and maybe a only group of us willing to do so.

We don’t know what happens 5 or 10 years down the road; although Bill paid for the next 5 years 😊.

As far as the revenue: I leave that up to the guys now managing the site. They are capable enough; no need for me to micromanage in addition to managing/maintaining my boat.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

March 19, 2019 08:44:48

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 08:12
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Paying for our group through Advertising

I think most you that answer NO are answering NO to advertising.

That is not the POLL.

The Poll is advertising on a banner at the top of the help page (Wiki) only and that revenue going to the cost of groups.io.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:09 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I tried to write the Poll as something that would be general and the vote would be to do it or not, rather than a vote on which supplier should be allowed.

The group needs runway and stability rather than pitching in here by one or more members.

I suggested the Wiki because you only see that page when you click on it for help.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:39 AM Rink De Haan <rinkdehaan@...> wrote:

I agree with Craig. Willing to pay to keep the site running.

Cheers 

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Van: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io namens Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>
Verzonden: dinsdag, maart 19, 2019 3:31 PM
Aan: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Paying for our group through Advertising 

Hi Bill,
I voted "no", only because "ambivalent" was not a choice, but would appreciate a bit more info.  
Seems a pretty limited audience for advertising, albeit possibly an audience that is ripe-for-pickin' and therefore attractive to the advertiser. I do wonder about the ongoing value, however, especially after a few months of the same vendor splashing out on a big piece of the website page - seems it could quickly become "ho-hum" and then annoying. 
How much are we talking - I'd be happy to chip in to keep the site clean, and I suspect others would, too. 
Who is the advertiser (not sure that needs to be confidential, but you may be).
Craig Briggs SN68 SANGARIS 

-- 
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

--
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

Gary Wells

I have slept on this for a couple of days but I find myself stuck and on the idea that in a true sense, having advertisers paying for the expenses of the site is actually "sponsorship" .. and, I am comfortable with that idea because the groups principals have control over how the advertising comes in. 

I see no real reason that relations can't or shouldn't be built with companies that can offer good products and services to our owners.  We would just have to be very mindful that we also need to support Amel in order keep our product support intact.

I'd see it as a growth opportunity for both our group and perhaps for vendors looking to offer semi-custom parts and services that Amel may not offer any more.  I'm also thinking of how things may develop in the long run with things like discounted services, marina fees, etc .

I would not be averse to a "click here to see our sponsors", even on the home page, and a section in the wiki with what we would consider "approved" vendors and descriptions of their scope of services, lists of available parts and reviews from group member customers. 

I echo the sentiment that invasive ads are not welcome and I'll gladly pay up to keep that kind of stuff away.  But being able to search for vendors for specific needs, and whom our members have experience with, seems like a sound idea to me. 

Gary W.
SM #209, Adagio
Tortola, BVI

When we set up the Group on Groups.io, we had the option to create what they call a Subgroup. We chose to create a sub-group called YachtsForSale. If you are looking at our homepage for Amel Yacht Owners Group click on Subgroups on the left side to go to YachtsForSale, or you will also notice a link for YachtsForSale in the Description of Amel Yacht Owners Group.

Owners wanting to sell their Amel can post a "for sale notice" once every 60 days on our subgroup, YachtsForSale. Buyers searching for an Amel can post their search on YachtsForSale once every 60 days.

We currently have had 2 listings and currently have 1 listing at https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/yachtforsale/topics 

Any member of Amel Yacht Owners Group can post in YachtsForSale by either going to the Amel Yacht Owners Group and clicking on Subgroups, or by simply sending an email to yachtforsale@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Any member of Amel Yacht Owners Group can join the subgroup YachtsForSale  by either going to the Amel Yacht Owners Group and clicking on Subgroups and follow instructions, or by simply sending an email to yachtforsale+subscribe@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io. Any you can unsubscribe to the Subgroup by sending an email toyachtforsale+unsubscribe@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Regarding monetizing the YachtsForSale listings, there is not any method currently built into Groups.io to do this.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 8:43 AM Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...> wrote:
I rather agree and Carango is currently for sale with Amel la Rochelle.

Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:30, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)

I have a suggestion.  I own hull #9 Amel 54.  I have not bee very active over the years in this group as my boat is very lightly used.  Now health issues have me considering selling her.  I have seen the passion from the Ameld'ians' and their love for this great brand.  Why not create a listing service for boats that are on the market.  I'm not talking about cutting out broker/dealers per se.  They can provide a great service during the sales transaction process.  But there is no group that will ever sell the Amel brand better than the owners of Amel boats.  All boats eventually get sold and all new buyers need to have a place where they can get great - honest - knowledgeable advice on all the issues related to used Amel yachts.  I would gladly list a boat with a broker with the stipulation that a small percent goes t the Amel Owners Group.  Frankly, I'd rather pay another owner a fee if they matched up my boat with a new owner.  Another bit of advice....the Amel is a unique boat and there really does need to be an unbiased surveyor that can assess an Amel that is offered for sale.  Since  I was diagnosed with bladder cancer I have had 2 surveys done and the valuation was over 20% variation.  Some of the fees collected by the Amel Owners Group could be used to fund a qualified surveyor.  As a seller I would love to have this person assess my boat and advice what needs to be done to bring the boat to a standard that the next owner knows precisely what they are buying and why they need to pay a price.  

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

Agree with below.

I also would have no problem chipping in but that is now and maybe a only group of us willing to do so.

We don’t know what happens 5 or 10 years down the road; although Bill paid for the next 5 years 😊.

As far as the revenue: I leave that up to the guys now managing the site. They are capable enough; no need for me to micromanage in addition to managing/maintaining my boat.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io

That is not the POLL.

The Poll is advertising on a banner at the top of the help page (Wiki) only and that revenue going to the cost of groups.io.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 10:09 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I tried to write the Poll as something that would be general and the vote would be to do it or not, rather than a vote on which supplier should be allowed.

The group needs runway and stability rather than pitching in here by one or more members.

I suggested the Wiki because you only see that page when you click on it for help.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers 

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Van: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io namens Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>

Hi Bill,
I voted "no", only because "ambivalent" was not a choice, but would appreciate a bit more info.  
Seems a pretty limited audience for advertising, albeit possibly an audience that is ripe-for-pickin' and therefore attractive to the advertiser. I do wonder about the ongoing value, however, especially after a few months of the same vendor splashing out on a big piece of the website page - seems it could quickly become "ho-hum" and then annoying. 
How much are we talking - I'd be happy to chip in to keep the site clean, and I suspect others would, too. 

-- 
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Pen Azen is not for sale--but I think Duncan's suggestion is worth serious consideration. This website, the wise counsel of Olivier and Joel , the engagement of Bill and the Yacht School  and the input from a whole host of knowledgeable owners, have undoubtedly  added to the attraction of owning an Amel from every aspect, not least the value of each boat. An extension of the kind that Duncan suggests would  go to reinforce that attraction.
 Depending on the volume of sales we might need two surveyors, one in Europe and one in the US. Having two who confer might make their reputations even stronger.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Forbes <ppsforbes@...>
Sent: 20 March 2019 13:43
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Paying for our group through Advertising

Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

On 20 Mar 2019, at 13:30, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

Agree with below.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

That is not the POLL.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers 

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Hi Bill,

-- 
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

Peter Forbes

Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

Agree with below.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

That is not the POLL.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers 

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Hi Bill,

-- 
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

ngtnewington Newington

Nick

Amelia (Amel 54-019)

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

Agree with below.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

That is not the POLL.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers 

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Hi Bill,

-- 
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

Duncan Hagemeyer

Duncan Hagemeyer
Dreamtime II
Antigua

Agree with below.

We don’t know what happens 5 or 10 years down the road; although Bill paid for the next 5 years 😊.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

March 19, 2019 08:44:48

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 08:12
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

That is not the POLL.

The Poll is advertising on a banner at the top of the help page (Wiki) only and that revenue going to the cost of groups.io.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Van: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io namens Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>
Verzonden: dinsdag, maart 19, 2019 3:31 PM
Aan: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Onderwerp: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Paying for our group through Advertising

Hi Bill,

--
Duncan Hagemeyer
24 Rock Creek Road
Emigrant, MT  59027

1-615-478-6006

Mike Johnson

Hi Bill,

Yes - Agree that it would be a sensible way of funding the site.  I tried the Poll site but could vote.

Regards

Mike & Peta
Solitude
SM2K 461

On 19 Mar 2019, at 21:56, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Craig,

OK, I thought that this would be OK with you and most folks. The Wiki is what you go to when you want to do something in our group's website, but need instructions. 

Please go back to the POLL and change your vote. I think that you can get to the poll either by clicking on the original email, or possibly by clicking on this link:

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
Sorry - although you did say it, I didn't "get' the part about the ad only appearing when you click "Wiki". You've been immersed in this changeover so it's familiar to you.  I have never clicked on Wiki, nor do I have any idea why I'd ever click it. So, if somebody wants to pay for an ad I'll never see, hey, I'm all in !!! 
Cheers, Craig

eric freedman

Hi Bill,

Who is the supplier?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:03 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Paying for our group through Advertising #poll

A new poll has been created:

Our Amel Yacht Owners Group is hosted on the Groups.io platform. I pay an annual cost for this, which I agreed to cover for 5 years. We were approached by a supplier that many of us have used. This supplier wants to advertise in our group. Almost 30 of us have used this supplier. We are considering allowing this supplier to advertise on the header of the Wiki page. Click on Wiki to view the area. 

I quoted this supplier a fee that is equal to the annual cost that is due to Groups.io for hosting our group, We would only have one supplier advertising and the location of the advertising would be on the Wiki, which is also known as the help page.

Please let us know your feelings on this.

Bill Rouse

1. Yes, I agree if it will pay the cost of hosting
2. No, I do not agree

Vote Now

Craig,

OK, I thought that this would be OK with you and most folks. The Wiki is what you go to when you want to do something in our group's website, but need instructions. 

Please go back to the POLL and change your vote. I think that you can get to the poll either by clicking on the original email, or possibly by clicking on this link:

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:49 PM Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
Sorry - although you did say it, I didn't "get' the part about the ad only appearing when you click "Wiki". You've been immersed in this changeover so it's familiar to you.  I have never clicked on Wiki, nor do I have any idea why I'd ever click it. So, if somebody wants to pay for an ad I'll never see, hey, I'm all in !!! 
Cheers, Craig

Craig Briggs

Bill,
Cheers, Craig

You should be able to see results now

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 11:31 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

A poll has been updated:

Our Amel Yacht Owners Group is hosted on the Groups.io platform. I pay an annual cost for this, which I agreed to cover for 5 years. We were approached by a supplier that many of us have used. This supplier wants to advertise in our group. Almost 30 of us have used this supplier. We are considering allowing this supplier to advertise on the header of the Wiki page. Click on Wiki to view the area. 

I quoted this supplier a fee that is equal to the annual cost that is due to Groups.io for hosting our group, We would only have one supplier advertising and the location of the advertising would be on the Wiki, which is also known as the help page.

Please let us know your feelings on this.

Bill Rouse

1. Yes, I agree if it will pay the cost of hosting
2. No, I do not agree

Vote Now

James Alton

Bill,

I don’t object to Wiki advertising in the area shown at the top of the help page and will place my vote accordingly.  I would however be against adding any kind of pop up ads or any other type of advertising of that nature.  If this idea is voted down by the group, I am interested in directly helping to support the cost of running the forum so long as the amount is not a large amount.

Best,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:12 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

That is not the POLL.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Cheers 
Rink de Haan
SM2k #330
Greece

Hi Bill,

Teun BAAS

Agree with below.

We don’t know what happens 5 or 10 years down the road; although Bill paid for the next 5 years 😊.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT A54 #128

NOUMEA NEW CALEDONIA

March 19, 2019 08:44:48

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 08:12
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io

That is not the POLL.

The Poll is advertising on a banner at the top of the help page (Wiki) only and that revenue going to the cost of groups.io.

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St.

Galveston, Texas 77550

832-380-4970

Cheers

Rink de Haan

SM2k #330

Greece

Van: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io namens Craig Briggs via Groups.Io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io>

Hi Bill,

That is not the POLL.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Cheers
Rink de Haan
SM2k #330
Greece

Hi Bill,

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

Cheers
Rink de Haan
SM2k #330
Greece

Hi Bill,