Topics

Mainsail drive replacement.

JOHN HAYES

Hi Ian

When we did the gear boxes we just did the brushes

However both the I mast furler and Genoa curlers died. The latter full of water the former was a short in the armature

Bugger!  So I have just had both motors rebuilt.  (We are heading in to the pacific early June)

The guy who dealt to the motors said he could build two new ones if I wanted but someone in the Amel group when I asked if anyone new a source for the motors response that I should just rebuild cause that’s what they did......so I followed that advice. I now have two completely rebuilt motors at  cost of $1100 NZ or about us$750

Best

John

On 23/03/2019, at 1:35 PM, Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...> wrote:

John, did you use your existing electric motor? Or did you get a new one? If new, what was it ie. manufacturer and model?

Thanks.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153
Exumas, Bahamas

On Mar 22, 2019, at 4:24 PM, JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...> wrote:

Morning Ian

Below are the details of what I put in to my Santorin

The same gearbox goes in the mast and on the boom out haul

We had a second issue recently but found the aluminium peg that links the in mast foil to the gearbox had snapped so had a new one made by a local engineer from a hi tensile aluminium

The gear boxes have worked fine and were sourced from bonfigilioli in Auckland

Best

John Hayes
NGA Waka
Wellington
New Zealand

From: Karl Paterson <karl.paterson@...>
Date: Wednesday, 23 November 2016 at 10:07 AM
To: JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...>
Subject: RE: Mainsail drive replacement.

Hi John,

We can offer the following gearbox to suit.

1 x VF44P 70:1 P63 B14 B3                             $325.90 net + GST.

This is usually supplied as a raw aluminium finish however we can paint it using a two pot epoxy if you’d like. Allow an extra $45 + GST for this and 1 – 2 days for the paint to fully cure.

Parts available ex stock NZ.

For the DC motor, we’d need to know power, voltage and speed in order to offer a replacement.

Prices exclude GST and freight.

Please see attached dimensional info for reference.

Kind regards

Karl

From: Karl Paterson <karl.paterson@...>
Date: Tuesday, 22 November 2016 at 4:14 PM
To: JOHN HAYES <johnhayes862@...>
Subject: Mainsail drive replacement.

Hi John,

Thanks for your enquiry regarding a replacement Bonfiglioli worm drive. If you can please provide photos of the gearbox as well as any motor details available I’ll have a look into what we can offer.

Kind regards

Karl Paterson | PT Application Engineer

SAECOWilson
88 Hastie Ave, Mangere Bridge,