Topics

Anchor Chain

amel46met

Hello amel group on the subject of new anchor chain what do you think about re-galvanizing the anchor chain thanks Tom Amel Maramu #125

Regalvanizing works well, if you haven't waited too long. We regalvanized our chain, or bought new chain every 4 years of mostly continuous service. Finding a place to properly do regalvanizing is getting to be difficult.

Best,

Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
832-380-4970

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 11:34 AM amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> wrote:
Hello amel group on the subject of new anchor chain what do you think about re-galvanizing the anchor chain thanks Tom Amel Maramu #125

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Tom, I have a 10 mm chain from 1990 and since 1992 I live 8 months a year on board, almost always anchoring. In 1998 I had the chain sandblasted and galvanized in Buenos Aires and to this day it is still in good condition. Be careful because it must be a company that specializes in the galvanization of moving parts because the risk is that the links of the chain stick together and the zinc comes off when you try to separate them. This galvanization was much better than the original one.
Giorgio Ardrizzi (Saudade III - Sharki #1)

Il Ven 29 Mar 2019, 17:34 amel46met <onboardaphrodite@...> ha scritto:
Hello amel group on the subject of new anchor chain what do you think about re-galvanizing the anchor chain thanks Tom Amel Maramu #125

amel46met

Thanks for the heads up on re-galvanizing the anchor chain I was concerned it might weaken it thanks Tom Deasy Amel Maramu number 125 1983

eric freedman

I took my chain to a plant that does Hot dip Galvanizing.
It was a very large plant.
In fact they completed the galvanizing all the components that cross the Hudson River.
They charged me $300-.
I had to curt off about a meter of chain at the end as it was adly ruster. That was 3 years ago and the chain still looks great.
Fair Winds,
Eric
sm376 Kimberlite

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 12:34 PM, amel46met wrote:

Hello amel group on the subject of new anchor chain what do you think about re-galvanizing the anchor chain thanks Tom Amel Maramu #125

James Alton

There are some concerns about hydrogen embrittlement which can weaken the chain when regalvanizing. This is more of a concern with the higher strength chains such as the grade 70. While I used to think that the primary risk was from the heat removing the temper this issue is primarily related to the acid etching process. Media/sandblasting is a safer way to prepare the chain than using the acid though apparently at least some acid etching is usually done to help prepare the surface. Practical Sailor did some regalavanizing testing not too long ago where they loaded samples of chain to failure before and after regalvanizing. The results were interesting with essentially no difference in strength before and after even with grade 70 chain so apparently if done correctly this might be an option. I have decided to go with hi tensile grade 70 chain which I have heard can not be safely regalvanized which is what initiated my recent research and discussion with an engineering friend. If there is any doubt I will just replace my chain when the time comes. It is encouraging that others have been happy with the regalvanizing results

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220